New GPU *Advice* (GTX 1060 6GB)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nieubermesch, May 23, 2021.

1. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

I am considerig changing my GTX 1650 4gb to the one in the title and I would like to know from people who might be playing or have played recently with it, how it handles, for example, Spa at night with - lets say - 20 AI. Right now it dips too low from 60 Fps. Does it mantain 60 Fps with high to very high settings? 1080p is the target resolution.

Thanks in advance.

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Is that a typo? 1060? 2060 or 3060 sounds more appropriate.
    The 6gb of Video ram is a plus, Also, when considering hardware changes, it's best to look at everything so we can tell if one change might help or face the same roadblocks your current system has.
    So, CPU, Ram, & Windows version if you please.

edit:
    Ok, so there IS a 1060 and it looks to be better than the 1050. But they both were released in 2016, I would think you might see some improvement, but everytime S397 upgrades the graphics, then the hardware sweats even more. The newer RTX vidcards are hard to find thanks to Bitcoin miners, but if you can reach further to the RTX, you might not have to upgrade again next year.

Last edited: May 24, 2021
    Nieubermesch likes this.
  3. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Yeah, I know I know. I didn't even added the rest of the components because I know the limitations are the GPU, wich is hitting 100%. But I will list it then:

16Gb DDR4 Ram
    Ryzen 5 2600
    W10 (Updated)
    SSD Installation

I know it's not the biggest jump, but some games have bigger jumps in performance from another, so that's why I want to know about other people's experiences.

The problem is how much expensive GPUs are today, so I can't quite go much higher. I will be OC'ing the card a little bit. Just want to get around the 60 fps ball park with pretty high settings (compromising some others).

Thanks

4. justposted

justposted Registered

You might find this thread of mine helpful: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/fps-the-hunt-for-optimum-performance.67613/

As 1060 is not much faster than a 1650 I would think that your biggest gain will be from the VRAM. You could try running with a single AI and see what FPS you currently get. I would say that the 1060 will be maybe 10% faster than that, but you will have the significant advantage of being able to maintain that with more cars and/or with more graphically demanding tracks.

5. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

I will look at it more carefully, but I think I already read it in the past.

I am seeing some games having more 20/30 fps's so that's why I wanted to check how it could handle RF2. If I can get from 44 to 60 fps I had with around 15AI with the 1060 even if I need a little OC, I am more than happy with how prices are right now.

6. jepeto

jepeto Registered

fps is result of resolution you choice and fov and option in display
    personnaly with the gtx1070 the pc turn to 250 fps on 2560*1440

7. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Yeah, that and the graphical options. I need a new one to be able to retain the fidelity and good graphics, just that.

8. Richard Busch

Richard Busch Member

I've been running a 1060 6GB for 3 years and have not had a problem with rF2. I have a Ryzen 5 1200 (6 core 12 thread). I run with 19 AI, and almost every graphic up high. I stay well above 40 -50 fps. I'd love to find another 1060 6GB for my second PC, for an affordable price. I paid about $200 for my EVGA 1060.

9. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

I would have to pay 300€ at the state that GPU prices are... If not I would probably go for the 1660. Have you tested 20 Ai in the rain, at the more heavy tracks? I kinda want the performance to stay at 60 at the more demanding circumnstances. They probably need to sort out the rain performance though. I feel it is a bit excessive and RF2 is not really the looker... ACC even runs better for me on those situations...