rfactor 2 with Reverb G2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTClub_wajdi, Dec 3, 2020.

1. DJChrizz

DJChrizz Registered

2. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

That AAx8 is possible due overclocking the card. x4 is possible without oc. That said i'm little disappointed on the overclocking potential of this particular red devil card. it seems to be lower end bin of these. dont really know what i paid the premium price for.. well it is what it is.
    But it's a shame as rf2 is one of the few titles that ACTUALLY benefits from overclocking the gpu. This has been true with all my nvidia cards aswell. Im actually looking to swap this card to 6900xt if i can find used/tested that is proven to oc well.

3. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

Edited the 1080ti post. realized later that the steam vr SS% setting global and per game stack on top of each other.

4. DJChrizz

DJChrizz Registered

ah ok yes, this sounds better :) I don't use Steam SS 110%, I'm under 80% but good settings and 90 fps most time.
    No smoothness ? I use this motion smoothness, I test without. my player.json is not much different than yours.
    this reproyection opton in Win mixes Real. f. Steam have to turn off, every oversample to much cost FPS.
    I will try to OC my Gigyb. 2070 super OC, think there's not much space but a little perhaps I try with the MSI tool.
    Edit .. ok no smoothness Opion don't switch from 90 to 45 fps .. only from 90 sometimes to 85 or something. good!

With VR please test the Circuit D'Asur (Monaco) with the USF 2000 Racer. Oh my god, much fun and drive feeling :)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  5. DJChrizz

DJChrizz Registered

it's a problem with the G2 and Nvidia RTX cards too.
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...-index-missing-dropped-frames-since-nvidia-d/
    I use now NVIDIA 456.71 and tuning a little, flash new Firmware on my RTX 3090 card. Works very nice now, all Details on max, only Raindrops low
    4 x AA and low Post Effects no sync
    90% SS in SteamVR and motion smoothing. sometimes 45 fps (Daytona GP) normal 90 fps fix
    the driving in rFactor 2 is awsome in VR now.

6. TurboHenk

TurboHenk Registered

This makes this game unplayable for me because of this. Even with ~40% GPU load even even much less CPU load, with VERY very low settings. This game keeps getting purple spikes/frame drops. This is the ONLY game where it happened. I tried every tweak that I could find on this forum but nothing helps. I'm really hopeless now because now I can never play rFactor 2 because since I found VR I cannot return to 2D.
    Specs: Reverb G2/3080/9700K@5ghz/16GB 3600. Any input regarding this is welcome.

7. Hank Madison

Hank Madison Registered

My system (G2, 3080) is struggling with dropped frames with basic VR settings and 19 AI (10 visible). I’m in 60 hz mode. ACC, AC, and AMS2 look great. Would love RF2 to perform great as well.

TurboHenk likes this.
  8. TurboHenk

TurboHenk Registered

@Hank, thank you for your reply, so I'm not alone in this. It's very clear that it's a (HUGE) bug of solely RF2's VR implementation. ACC/AC/AMS2 all run perfect on my system too.

Can any developer of studio 397 confirm that this issue is being looked at?

I purchased this game and many DLC's during the summer sale for VR use only. The game is completely unplayable but I'm also not able to refund the game because I tried to fix this issue for many days; but it seems that it's not in my hands(I tried everything) but that only studio 397 could solve this problem. RF2 one of the best sims at this moment but at the current stage, with the huge framedrops, it's simply unplayable.

Please let us know what the status of this bug is.

9. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

It is not a bug of RF 2. Nvidia has confirmed that there is a bug in the graphic card driver but is not able/willing to fix it. People who are running a RTX 20xx card can confirm that the "pink spike issue" is definitively gone with an older driver version (before introduction of the 30xx series). Look at the linked thread above. There are so many VR games that suffer from this issue.

I am playing only Dirt Rally 2.0 and RF2. Dirt Rally 2.0 has also this issue. Before my 3090 i had a 1080ti which was running with an older driver and without any issue. The problem came with the 3090 and its driver. There are some mod tracks like Kyalami or Watkins Glen which show a huge amount of pink spikes. Official content like Spa is running perfect.

10. TurboHenk

TurboHenk Registered

No it's a bug in RF2, it's all about the implementation. There is still an workaround possible around this. That's why ACC/AMS2/AC etc. run flawlessly as almost every other title does. So it's doable for sure, that's already proven by the competition.

I know the issue with Dirt Rally 2(I have a workaround for it, but that workaround doesn't work with RF2) but that's an completely different story: CodeMasters only made their game compatible with Oculus/Vive glasses, it's even written on their forum that they don't support WMR at all you can look it up. That's the reason that they don't want to look at it, and that's what I mean with "it's all about the implementation". Look at their forum and the Steam page of DR2: WMR is not supported and not listed there. BUT RF2 DOES support WMR, it's also stated on the Steam page. So you cannot compare these 2 titles regarding this subject at all.

All other sim titles that support VR with WMR work flawlessly with the Reverb G2/3080 but RF2 also doesn't and it was never stated that VR on WMR isn't supported by RF2. The opposite is true: WMR is officially supported(look at the steam sale page) and that's why this bug must be fixed.

"The problem came with the 3090 and its driver."
    The RF2 developers should work on an compatibility fix/bugfix! You cannot expect that all software stays compatible with new hardware forever. Codemasters stated that they don't want to do that, so that's very clear. Studio 397 states on their Steam page that they DO support WMR so it should be playable, it should be worked on. You cannot expect Nvidia to fix this, they never will, games have to be made compatible with the 2000/3000 series for VR. Kunos succeeded, Reiza succeeded, Codemasters refused to look at it, Studio 397 didn't respond to this subject at all but keep selling the game to WMR VR users. So that's the worst of all, it's not even on their agenda it seems.

"Official content like Spa is running perfect."
    Maybe that single track but other official DLC content like LeMans are not. So what's the point with that?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  11. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

Running RF2 with a 1080ti and an older driver = no problem
    running RF2 with a 3090 and a new driver = problem

i dont see RF2´s fault. People still reporting pink spikes with Half Life Alyx, Elite Dangerous, Beat Saber and so on. All bugs of the games?

[​IMG]

12. TurboHenk

TurboHenk Registered

Also not true, since GeForce 471.11 it's fixed for almost every single game. I run every other game then RF2(even the not supported DR2 with an workaround) flawlessly with the 3080/Reverb G2 in very high settings. Only RF2 doesn't even run with 30-40% GPU/CPU usage/4-5ms frametime, it keeps spiking ALWAYS.

So you don't think that it would be a good idea that Studio 397 would put it on their bugfix list?
    If so, then why not?
    Why not look if an workaround is possible?
    Why not ask yourself the question: why doesn this not happen with AMS2/ACC for example??
    Just wait for Nvidia? You think that that's the best idea? That will never solve it at all.

The only way to solve it is if Studio 397 puts serious effort on this subject to solve it. If they don't want to then they need to remove Windows Mixed Reality from their Steam page(as CodeMasters did, at least they are honest that it's not compatible) and then they should refund the people that bought it for that purpose.

13. Hank Madison

Hank Madison Registered

I, too have the G2/3080 combo and bought RF2 and a bunch of DLC in the summer sale. Issues in VR are not the pink spikes associated with DR2. My time is worth more than what I spent on the game so I’m not going to do much more than wait. If RF2 want to be the dinosaur that refuses to keep up then that’s their choice. I’m hoping and optimistic that they’re working on a solution.

TurboHenk likes this.
  14. Hank Madison

Hank Madison Registered

I misspoke in the previous post. I now believe this is a nvidia driver issue as well. Based on some tests with an older driver I was able to get VR in RF2 to work - for a bit. Then for whatever reason frame rates would suffer. Too frustrating to waste more time with it. Decided to return my system back to the state that works best for the other games and wait for Nvidia to produce a fix. Looking forward to RF2 in VR then. Thanks to @Manfredk2 and @DJChrizz.

15. TurboHenk

TurboHenk Registered

Of course it shouldn't occur. It's indeed an Nvidia driver issue as well so we can all agree on that. BUT it's not solely an driver issue, it's an compatibility issue that either Nvidia or Studio 397 CAN solve, they both have the power to do that. It is indeed be the most logic way of thinking that no workaround should be needed and that Nvidia solves it, so that I agree on that with you all too. But I simply don't see that that's going to happen. The open "VR issue" in Nvidia's changelog is removed since they released 471.11... the support from Nvidia is THAT bad(it was there for more then 1 year). For that reason I don't see a fix coming from Nvidia at all, they clearly gave up. I think that it will never happen. So waiting for that is like waiting for godot.

The simple fact that 90% (rough estimation, for me ALL other VR games) don't have this issue proves that an wordaround is possible. Also the fact that some track don't have the issue (or in a very small way), as Manfredk2 mentions (it's here also WAY less in Sebring then in LeMans for example (but still happens)) Studio 397 either don't have the knowledge to find the solution/workaround or didn't even look at it at all. And that last thing would be very stupid this since many other developers FOUND a way already and solved it long ago. So that's the point that I try to make it: I really hope that Studio 397 is looking for an workaround-solution as Reiza/Kunos and many many others did but it doesn't seem so because they NEVER replied on this subject and that really is a shame, they don't even take the effort to update us or to share their point of view. An developer like Reiza or Kunos would already have updated their customers long ago about the status of such an major bug; but we hear simply nothing from Studio 397 and they keep listing WMR on their Steam page to boost sales but it's clearly a lie that WMR is supported.

16. bester

bester Registered

Rfactor2 + RX6800XT + AMD5800 + reverb G2 = paradise

The Kartsim update is a dream in VR..... IRL sensations.....

Sory for the nvidia owners problems....

Before, I had a 1080 TI + I7 3770, no problems but not enought power for the reverb....

17. DJChrizz

DJChrizz Registered

Yes you right, I think it'S not only a nvidia problem, I bought AMS 2 too in summer sale. This works very fine without peakes while driving. I drive online, with Ai drivers, alone, no stutter or peakes.
    Ok, my PC is now I7 10700k and the HP RTX 3090, optimized system, I want to cool my PC more soon but ...
    most time rFactor 2 works good with the last 471.41 driver. on Oscherleben (GT3) I notice sometimes some purple spikes when more players connected and drive.
    This Track Bikerniekihas a lot purple peakes, unplayable :-(
    in rFactor 2 I use no post effects, all on full detail only high shadow (blur off) opponents medium
    4 x AA and Steam SS on the G2 resolution, this means around 50%
    most time the GPU works on 55% .. ok :) but high detail 4x AA looks good and 90fps up.
    We talk about 90 FPS in 5k with the HP G2. THIS needs a little Power, more than the good old 3dfx Voodoo2 :) (joke)
    The new VGA cards from AMD and nvidia have a lot power ! enough I think.
    AMS 2 works great too with constant fps most time.
    rFactor 2 has, for shure, old content from rFactor 1, from comunity users and many new from Studio 397. Many dif. content on dif. level.
    But sooo much choice, I love this!
    I play Targa Florio Stage 1 with the Lada now, but I love the NOS also a lot!

18. Hank Madison

Hank Madison Registered

19. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

20. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

when you have the curve visible, it's the point where it flats out to horizontal.

GTClub_wajdi likes this.