How to install Workshop items with Mod Manager?

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Ferrari312, May 16, 2021.

1. Ferrari312

Ferrari312 Registered

I've been running an rF2 server on a Windows VDS for a number of years and have separate Steam account on it. I've just found it simpler to deal with Workshop items. With the new UI and demise of the launcher, I have not been able to figure out yet out to install Workshop items with Mod Manager. That is the last piece of the puzzle I'm missing since I can run the MAS tool, the server itself and the Mod Manager without having to start the game (no graphics accel for new UI on the remote server of course).

Currently, to install workshop items, I revert to the old UI to start the launcher which then detects and installs the downloaded items, then revert back to the new UI build and then start the server.

I can install non-Workshop items in the Mod Manager but don't know how to install freshly downloaded Workshop updates i.e. get Mod Manager to detect them. For example, I restarted Steam recently on the server and it downloaded the new LimeRock Park. If I start Mod Manager, I would expect it to show up on the list just not be installed (it wasn't). It doesn't seem to make any difference if I point the Packages Dir to the Steam Workshop folder either. Any help appreciated on this.

2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

check the dev guide... it tells you how to download the workshop items.

Then use the mod manager in bin64 folder to install.

3. Corti

Corti Registered

What I do is manually download the content I want to install, save in the "Packages" folder and then run Mod Manager to install with the traditional method.

4. Ferrari312

Ferrari312 Registered

You're talking about about manually downloading Workshop items? I am using the bin64 Mod Manager.

My issue is that I have a separate Steam account on the server that is subscribed to over 100 items. It has been nice with the old launcher to not have to pay attention to every item that gets updated. They are automatically downloaded and automatically installed by the launcher. I was hoping Mod Manager would at least show newly downloaded items and show they aren't installed so I could then install them. Having something like the launcher auto detect items I'm subscribed to and install the latest automatically would be best.

If I make a new pak for something, it automatically has the latest asset because the launcher would install it automatically. So there is no command I could run that is an equivalent to launcher startup i.e. "check for all new workshop downloads and automatically install/update"?

5. Ferrari312

Ferrari312 Registered

If you have to manually install everything, then there is no advantage of having a full Steam install with its own account seems to me. Might as well use the SteamCMD server download then?

6. Corti

Corti Registered

To execute a dedicated server you do not need to have an account is Steam.
    https://docs.studio-397.com/users-guide/setting-up-a-dedicated-server

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Corti yes, but that's the SteamCMD server Ferrari312 already mentioned. The idea is to have a steam install on the server and it auto updates. SteamCMD doesn't offer that (afaik).

8. Corti

Corti Registered

Oh, thanks for the clarification mate. I knew that some something in the translation I did not interpret it well. im sry :(

9. Corti

Corti Registered

10. Woodee

Woodee Registered

You had an install which automatically updated and installed content, it would invalidate rfmods that you make to run the server.

Having full control over download and install over what is on the server leaves no surprises when updates would occur.

11. Ferrari312

Ferrari312 Registered

That actually has not been my experience. It seems that workshop updates don't blow away older versions and break my custom rfmods yet if I make a new rfmod, the latest version is always there ready to go. This is one of the things that makes the old launcher really nice since its easy to see the older versions of items and which one of my custom rfmods I've that they are in.

Basically I just need that function right when the old launcher comes up, it installs new workshop updates. I wonder if there is a command that could be run to do that since the mod manager doesn't do that on launch.

12. Ferrari312

Ferrari312 Registered

13. Ferrari312

Ferrari312 Registered

Hmm that is an interesting thought. I wouldn't think that would work due to version differences but I might give that a try. Thanks for the idea!