[REL] Keimola Motor Stadium Conversion to Rfactor 2

Discussion in 'Locations' started by EmperorOfFinland, Jan 27, 2021.

1. EmperorOfFinland

EmperorOfFinland Registered

So i have couple plans for 0.96 version. i slightly touched the AIW file to make better pit exits and entrerances from block line.but there is couple problems. the pit entry light does not work for some reason despite me going through that many times. and it works on the 3dsimed3 and the other light has exactly the same attributes and it works. also i dont know how i fix the floor of the pittower as its same texture as other things so i cant make it doublesided.

2. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Finally got time to drive around few laps of this track.
    It is a good start. This track could really benefit new IBL shaders, some ambient occlusion on track-side objects etc.
    This would bring the track more alive. Looks like you have currently used simple T1 legacy shader with most of the materials, but new IBL shaders with proper texture sets would bring this track to the next level.

With rF2 material editor you can assign new shaders. New texture sets can be created with Substance Painter or Designer.

More information can be found here https://docs.studio-397.com/developers-guide/development-tools

(Btw... You have insane amount of racesurface and other gmts in this track. Over 1300. That is way too much, generating unnecessary high amount of draw calls and wasting other resources as well... Short track like this, about 10 racing road gmts is enough. If you keep single road piece vertex count under 20k with this track, then you are good.)

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    Mauro likes this.
  3. EmperorOfFinland

So the problem with IBL shaders i have no idea on how to do them, i would do them otherwise but the instructions on how to make them is not exactly clear. So i would have to learn that. And i know its a considerable amount of work to do the rest anyways as i lack the programs required for them. And i dont even know what i need to create myself and what i can do with material editor and etc

So the thing with racesurface things is that originally the track was 62 trackpieces but it contained the grass and gravel+ other stuff and thouse cant be named roadsurface. so what i did i splitted the surface of the track according to the material that allowed me to make real road working. however since i use 3dsimed3 and not 3dmax it was considerably harder to do.
    So that explains the rather high amount of racing road GMT's. Also i was not using blender originally back then so there was no way to do it sanely.

I have also had to fix couple big glaring holes on the track in general on blender and that is not simple either as its pointless to do that on 3dsimed3 so i have to import stuff to blender and back. I have managed to make it not have the said holes.

I could try to assimilate some of the GMT files, especially the trees but i dont know how to do that with 3dsimed3 so i would have to import the thing to blender and combine them and rethrow them back in. and that requires me to reapply the object parameters for the GMT's
    it took me 15-20h to rename just the splitted trackpieces. As that cant really be automated.
    I could technically merge the roadsurface pieces together now that the grass and gravel and the line are seperated from them but i dont know how to do that either with 3dsimed3. so i would probably need to bring it back to blender.

In terms of the vertex count. well i just splitted the surface according to the instructions i got from svictor. The track runs well on my own system for the most part. I could do more optimisation though on it. I will probably throw the textures to a AI upscaler and do that to them. so i get higher quality textures. but that also takes alot of time and i have not setup the program to this computer. In Order to change the vertex amount i need to go back and redivide the entire surface and that is going to be 20-50h atleast just for division.

Also there is the caviat that all of this takes alot of time too and i dont want to rush the work.
    in total i have pushed anywhere from 100-400h of work on this track by this point. I dont even keep count anymore. I have played less rfactor 2 in total than i have spent time on this track.

Mauro likes this.
  4. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

PBR - A Guide in rFactor2 - Developers Guide (studio-397.com)

There is actually 233 "racesurface" pieces. Polygon size is about 0,5 x 0,5 meters, so all racesurfaces contain about 740k verts and 280k polys.

upload_2021-5-15_14-46-48.png

On the track like this 1,5 x 1,5 meters poly size is good.

Here is same road geometry 14k polys and 16k verts. Poly size is 2 x 1,12 meters, not quite square polys, but still in the ballpark.
    upload_2021-5-15_15-48-9.png

I've also attached the fbx file of the road surface geometry, so you can import it to your modelling software of your choice and take a look at it closer.

Attached Files:

Mauro likes this.
  5. EmperorOfFinland

There were no specific instructions per said on how big the division should be so i just guessed it. the problem with that is that if i take it to blender again its 20-80 hours to subdivide it again as i have to recurve the pieces and redo the roadcurvature too because of that as it wont line up right otherwise as the roadedges are seperate from the main mesh so i have to subdivide all of the parts again for it to match. otherwise i need to manually move the vertices lining up with the parts. (that will take considerably longer and im totally not doing that) unless there is easier way of reducing the polycount but i dont have 3dmax so i cant use it. What prettymuch means i need to reimport it to blender.

The problem is that i sorta understand the thing but i dont know how to create the mappings for the textures and since i have to do it for everything its going to take a really long time.

6. EmperorOfFinland

So. what exactly im supposed to do for that surface? un subdivide it?

7. EmperorOfFinland

So originally the track did came splitted like that to me from rfactor 1 and i decided not to rework the scene structure as i did not know how to do it at that point. even now i dont know how to combine the meshes on blender as there is no tutorials outside of the ones that svictor kindly provided on how to rework the surface of the track.

So if i was to incorporate that one i need to rework the scene structure itself and im pretty sure the lines wont line up correctly to the road itself so i have to manually move them. That is what im dreading as i already did it once at it was almost as pain to do as the manually reassigning the splitted roadsurface into names. All of this would probably be easier if i had access to 3dmax so it would be easier to do. but as unemployed i dont really have the extra money to throw money into the license itself.

So i have to use blender/3dsimed3 combination to work it around and its not the most optimal way to work on things as if i want to make changes to mesh i have to import it back to blender and reimport it back to 3dsimed3 and the blender export scripts dont work correctly or i dont know how to use them as the documentation on that too is patchy on itself.

8. Esa Ahonen

Esa Ahonen Registered

I have DD2 but I think it's much more the car choice than wheelbase. If I take car that has softer suspension the jaggedness wasn't that noticeable but take a modern F1 car and on the old versions your teeth would drop out :) But now the surface is a lot better, this isn't an issue anymore.

I drove 0.95 yesterday and the progress is great! The track is getting better all the time.

This time I got wide a few times and at least in those spots barriers seem to be "sticky". If you hit them the car sticks to it and you can't get moving again.

I believe the the new shaders would be next step as the asphalt and grass textures look somewhat grainy.

Keep pushing, it's really great to see this track making such a nice progress.

9. EmperorOfFinland

Well i cant personally test it more now as i strained a muscle on my shoulder when racing so i cant work on the AIW.
    I would do the new shaders if i knew how to make the needed texturefiles for it but i dont know how to make them.

The barriers have always been sticky as the wheel gets sucked in. so you need to be careful. i dont know how to fix them other than making them wider.

10. jimagn

jimagn Registered

Sorry to hear about your driving injury. I hope it heals quickly and comfortably. Thank you for all you've done for this track.

11. redapg

redapg Registered

You can use a simple Poly Line as a Collision Wall, for that you use the CollTarget=True and Render=False Tags and give them the same Material that the Barrier has, to get the correct Sound if someone hits it.
    Put it in front of the Barriers and let it stick 1m through the Surface, with the Normals pointing into the Direction from where the Cars are coming.
    That should work.

Mauro likes this.
  12. EmperorOfFinland

Thats an interesting idea and could work very well. although the problem with the IBL shader implementation is that i have not gotten them working in any capacity at all. so i would probably need a run through with example textures on how to enable it per said. if i have the textures i can figure out IBL/PRB shaders on my own if im given a simple runthrough.

13. redapg

redapg Registered

If you still talk about the invisible Collision Walls...
    You can also use a simple T1 Material for these Objects.
    It doesn't matter, because they don't get rendered.
    And to get the correct Sound if someone crashes into them, you should add that T1 Material Name to the same TDF File Section, that the Objects behind of the invisible Collison Wall uses.

14. EmperorOfFinland

Yeah i figured that one out however there is a issue of real road not working with IBL so i cant do the upgrade and the legacy real road shader is too shiny with sun Too shiny.png

Ie what values i need to edit so the ground is not this shiny? as its a problem on this and the alpha conversion of another project i have been working on, Longbeack 79 im pretty sure its one of the values in question that cause it. or the texture itself but i dont know how to fix it myself

And on IBL shaders the realroad texture keeps repeating on the track instead of being distributed as it should on the racing line so it does not work

15. redapg

redapg Registered

@EmperorOfFinland I only seldomly mod Tracks, so i didn't really dive into the new IBL PBR Shader System, so i can only point you to this Site, that you maybe know already, where some Things are explained.
    Maybe it's just a "wrong" mapped Channel or a "wrong" Texture, that causes your Real Road Issue.
    And do you use the S397 Browser based Material Editor?
    That is very helpful to set the Shaders properly.

Corti and Mauro like this.
  16. EmperorOfFinland

I got the Shaders work correctly now on longbeach with the expection that the groove texture is 90 degrees on the wrong orientation so i wonder how i rotate it after i figure that one out i can do the same for keimola and it should be pretty good after that as PBR shaders should be working on it too.

17. redapg

redapg Registered

I guess you have 2 Options:
    - remap (rotate by 90°) the Mapping in the Channel to that the Groove Texture is mapped
    - rotate the Grove Texture by 90°

18. EmperorOfFinland

i have tried rotating the groove texture by 90degrees on gimp but its not turning itself ingame for some reason

19. redapg

redapg Registered

To ensure that the rotated Texture gets loaded, you can rename it and link the renamed one in the Material.
    BTW Question: why do you think that it appears wrong?
    Is the Groove looking strange (Screenshot)?

20. EmperorOfFinland

Because it does this and its not supposed to do that

Groove.png I mapped it to UV-A slot as that seems to keep it on the road as i cant use UV-C as i have to manually adjust it per item myself after that