So; what's up with the flaws?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Navigator, May 11, 2021.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

After been away from racing and this game in particular, I started it up again a few days ago.
    Had to get used to the new UI, but that's okay. Irritating to say the least is that message it is looking for your favourite servers for a few minutes even if you want to play offline...... but okay again.

Now, tire temps still don't go higher than 50 C, AI bumping into you and keep on revving into you when you are "hooked up" with them and there is no way out.
    I mean; S397 content, not third party.
    There is a list of things that bothered me and others from the start and 99% is still there.

"Looking nice" was important.......second time we had a new UI.
    S397 is pumping out new, paid content so they can make more money.
    But how about getting rid of all the flaws? That doesn't get enough money in?
    I mean; the tire temps and AI being brainless......come on! There are way less worthy game, arcades if you will that have those simple stuff under control!

2. RusRob

RusRob Registered

Hey Navigator,

Being a new rF2 user I can relate!

First, That server issue, to fix it go in and select one server. Next time it looks for a server list it just blinks by.

Out of the box I found the same thing with the AI, I turned their aggression to 0 and adjusted the strength to match my speeds. It also depends on the track. Some are bad others are great. I have been running the newly updated Lime Rock and had a really good one on one with the AI and had a blast.

Hope it gets better for you, I found my frustration level has gone way down now that My wheel is dialed in and I am getting familiar with the menus.

Cheers,
    Bob

atomed likes this.
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

What car are you driving with tyres that don't go above 50?

Remco Majoor likes this.
  4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

EVERYONE who has to wait for a public server list, please, please, please just choose one. Even if you never ever ever race online, just choose one. After choosing just one low ping server, the search will take about 1 second. ok
    ..maybe 1.5 seconds. Choose whatever is the lowest ping, passworded or not. S397 talked about addressing this issue, but anyone can fix it themselves

atomed likes this.
  5. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks for the tips on the server guys!
    The car I can remember not heating up the tires, is one of the Tatuus, the 275 HP one.
    But there are way more, almost always had this issue.

(Sorry, short, at work)

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The Tatuus is a relatively 'straight' car - it takes a long corner to make it push long enough to get extra heat in the tyres, and it's plenty grippy so many tracks don't provide corners to do that. 50-60 seems quite attainable with a little limit-exploring, I'm sure fast drivers able to keep it near the limit will get a bit higher without actually sliding and getting into the 100s.

I've had 800kg low powered sedans with tyres above 70 or 80 when pushing for a few laps, I've had tyres much hotter in faster cars when I was somewhere near the limit for any length of time. I think maybe you're making an assumption from only limited observation, there's no ceiling or limit in rF2 in most cars. Only if you stay well below the limits, as you'd expect.

7. JamesB

JamesB Registered

I certainly have to be careful not to overdrive the GTE's or I fry the tyres, so this is not a problem across the board.

8. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks for the input guys and I did fix the waiting time for the server list.
    The tire temp: I am doing decent lap times so I'm not driving like a granny. Like a maniac, over- and understeering would heat up the tires and also make for bad lap times.

But hey, that's not the issue.
    The issue is that there is a list of flaws like that that are there from the first builds and should have been fixed.
    Instead we get a new UI (again) to make it more appealing and payed content to make a few more bucks.
    What they mess up with that; they do fix.

Still; I can't see the back of the car in most cases and I am still bumping my way around the Indy road track........
    So; payed once and you're forgotten?
    Because I notice myself using this game less and less.

Pawel44, RoboCAT10 and davehenrie like this.
  9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sure, there are issues, many long term. But tyre temps not above 50? I doubt many share that experience, and you've got responses right here suggesting so. If you choose to dismiss those that says more about your attitude than anything else.

Feel free to have a rant, but don't dress it up as actual questions.

10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

If you are in VR and looking at the back, you won't see that part of the car. They did this to improve fps so VR users could stay above that majik 90fps number. The also did something, like a Visor filter,(already forgotten since I don't have VR) uhmm it was like a mask that limited how much was displayed so fps would improve. So there are reasons for some of it. And YES, we KNOW about the many many things that need fixin' and the long length of time what we have has taken. Folks who still clamor for the old UI have to remember that many of the features they plan on implementing, were not possible with the old UI. So there is glitz factor, but also the foundation that has to be built before rF2 reaches it's potential.

11. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Me having a rant? How and why is that?
    I went on about the issues, not just the tire temps. You hang on to that when I already said it was an example.
    You suggested I didn't drive properly, you now suggest I "got responses" stating people don't have that same experience.....
    Except from you; how many? One. Using another car.........

So, something is bothering you, right?
    Feel free to leave the discussion when someone isn't a 1000% in love with your precious game, but don't accuse me of having a rant, can't drive and have 1001 opposite opinions against me.
    Just don't become yet another 12yo fanboy mate; stay realistic and state the facts, don't make them up.

Ow, and 50 degrees; let it be 60, okay.
    But going over a track in a decent manner for lap after lap and not being able to get them up to the working temp of 90 is not right, period.

Narrowbackwing and Pawel44 like this.
  12. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Look in the mirrors with just a screen in front; mainly nothing there too.
    And what you say: "before rF2 reaches it's potential".........well, we are hearing that from the first build, remember? ;)
    My thing is; in regard to some of these flaws; other sims have taken over.
    I was always saying "you should buy rF2!" but if I look around now; I don't have much leg to stand on........

Pawel44 likes this.
  13. doddynco

doddynco Registered

The game is dead guys - the sooner you realise the less time you'll waste being fooled by the devs and clinging on to the idea that this game is going to turn into the thing you dreamt it would be. It's not gonna happen.

DaREALMastaD and Pawel44 like this.
  14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I talked only about tyre temps. I didn't deny anything else, so don't label me a fanboy.

I talked about the tatuus that you mentioned, and you said it's many other cars too. So don't claim someone's talking about "another car".

This is why I'm saying you're ranting. And that's actually fine, you can have and state your opinion. But if you're going to mention specific issues and someone challenges one, don't just dismiss them or deflect by adding more other issues.

15. Navigator

Navigator Registered

@Lazza

I get you mate, no problem.
    But you have to get my drift too; its not about a specific issue but its a list.
    When I start off here saying "there are many flaws!........" the first thing I get back from people is: "name one!"
    So, to get a picture, I named two right out of the box I remembered the best. But its not important what the issues are; they could be 5 others as well.
    I don't want to hang on that one issue as you said yourself; there are issues.

And thats the point of my topic; there are issues (a+b or c+d, whatever) but the focus seems to be on selling, making it slick for new customers, more dlc to sell..........but how about those older issues, some form back in the day of ISI?

16. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Right here; this is what I'm talking about.
    I get your drift Doddynco and there are more coming to some sort of the same conclusion.
    I'm not there yet, but the fun is gone and I start realising those silly issues are not in other games; games "we as rF2 users should look down on".
    More and more you read this kind of posts and even now there is a topic in here on the forum about almost the same thing.
    This is rFactor 2; the top of the SIMS! Why don't I have arguments anymore when I try to "sell" it to people? Why do they have better arguments for games we should see as arcade?

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Navigator I was helping someone the other day on discord having trouble running rF2 (a steam issue, ironically, given the number of issues people have with rF2 itself) and I repeatedly pointed out not to expect anything the demo doesn't have, and the fact that rF2 will present its own issues from time to time.

Can only take it for what it is, and that can be enough to be worthwhile, but understandably people assume the full game will have more in terms of multiplayer, AI, structure, plot. I do my share of talking down expectations (while trying to remain fair - there are still useable leagues and public racing, and the CS isn't nothing), but I think it's important to be factual as much as possible. So lists of faults and missing features is fine, but not expanding into faults that aren't there.

The same happens with physics, where some very specific behaviour is called out and then 3 months later people are having discussions basically saying the physics is completely broken.

As a consumer we have little or a lot of power, depending how you look at it. Unfortunately (IMO) the majority of people with rF2 seem to overlook smaller issues, and if enough people keep buying content of a certain standard, for a game that does enough for them, there may be little reason for the developer to change. That's their prerogative.

bwana likes this.
  18. Navigator

Navigator Registered

@Lazza

I get it.
    But I'm not after milking out a specific issue and I know what you mean; the topic you are referring to, I read a bit back then. There was a lot to do and some fights I believe.
    No, I just wrote that as an example as it does bother me for a long time. But I do encourage you to take that 275BHP Tatuus, drive around the Zandvoort track, do 1.29.low and tell me what you have ;)
    Ow well, just "issues" it is, of all sorts.
    You state; its their prerogative and you are right.
    But we, as long time users, standing with our game, telling new simmers they should buy rF2 because its the best........
    We are going to look more and more silly by the day as they look into it and throw it in our face that older issues aren't resolved and PC2, ACC, RR and all DO have that and that and better this and such.
    But thats not even the main thing too; as you are speaking of prerogative; it is the users prerogative to say: "it has been nice, but I'm moving on". Never thought I would say that and I'm not there at the moment, but I do feel it coming........thats sad, for the best sim ever that I have always defended.

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Navigator I just don't go round telling people to buy it, then my conscience is fine and no one bales me up later :p

When I do talk about it, I talk about both good and bad aspects of it. To be fair most gamers I talk to soon enough realise it's not game enough for them. For the rare simulation player it can still form part of their library and be useful, and that remains the case even if they go elsewhere for other "racing" goals.

20. CRMS

CRMS Registered

Agree quite a few flaws for a paid game.
    1. Documentation is terrible. The User Guide section is a good move. But why isn't the 397 published info on Formula E included?? Likewise already published 3rd party info on mirror adjust should be in the User Guide??
    If the developers don't want to write a decent user guide(s), then tips in the settings areas when items are highlighted - eg FFB multiplier?? One really shouldn't have to wade through assorted YouTube videos.
    2. Formula E Bundle is fun but falls short. Steering Wheel Screen needs lap delta - as on a real FE screen and Torque Map assigning to a control?? and better energy management display on the screen rather than an overlay - 397eHUD. I'm sure the real cars don't have a petrol pump for battery symbol??.
    The March 2021 release is over hyped - such as "some further tweaks and refinements to the current Gen2" and "Following a period of further review and fine-tuning by our car team here at Studio 397".
    I hope under the new management, this will all improve.
    But I do enjoy the simulation aspects and the circuits that are not in other games - Portimao is fantastic.

RoboCAT10 likes this.