How to fix covered car issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RusRob, May 10, 2021.

1. RusRob

RusRob Registered

Hey all,
    Since I installed rF2 a month ago (or so) I have a number of cars that I can not see in the menus because they have covers on them. I would like to fix this issue but not sure how. I did try and verify all files in Steam but to no luck.

The list of cars that have no picture are:

FR3.5 2014 Formula Renault 3.5
    Historic Open WHeel Challenge Mclaren M4b
    Lola T70 Spyder MK1, T70 Spyder MK2, T70 Spyder MK3
    March 761 1976
    March 761 1977
    SR F1 All cars in this series
    Skip Barber 2013

From what I understand about this is there are no pictures of the cars so they get covered but most of these are Studio397 cars and I would think that they (of all people) would have finished the mods they included in the sim.

I am not sure how to fix this, any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Bob

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

it is up to the original mod maker OR other 3rd party users to create the icons needed. The tarp image is a placeholder. There are some online tools that may allow you yourself to take the time to create the 5+(I think) images needed for each icon for each car. S397 cannot alter other peoples work even if they provide the playground for those cars to run around in. It is up to us and you. Try finding the creators of those cars, contact them and encourage them to create the icons. (I like your choice of cars btw)

3. Filip

Filip Registered

Huh?
    Providing image for S397 UI is not altering original content.

4. lagg

lagg Registered

If they package the images in the same rfcmp as the car, yes.
    I'd like to be wrong.

5. RusRob

RusRob Registered

But aren't most of those cars from S397?
    At least I think these are:

Formula Renault
    Lola
    March
    SRF1

6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

A: This process is time consuming, or so I've been told. Do you want S397 to stop something to assign an artist to complete icons for ALL THE CARS in the Workshop? With S397's glacial workpace, you might see results in a few years.
    B: If S397 alters, in any way, the contributions of mod-makers, then the mod itself could fall under ANY licensing agreements S397 has. Thus every car in every mod would have to be vetted to not violate copyright or existing licensing agreements.(keep in mind there are almost as many copyright laws as countries on the globe.) How many mods would then suddenly vanish?
    C: The procedure is known and there are tools to help complete it. YOU, yes YOU can most likely accomplish what you require for your own system. You could even reach out to mod creators and offer YOUR TIME & Talents to complete the mods in question.

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Not S397 but rather ISI, (although included in the sale to S397) But S397 has stated in the past they have no interest in updating those products.

8. Filip

Filip Registered

A: If such process is time consuming then the process is bad. Didn't old UI have preview pictures for all cars? How come new one doesn't show it for the same cars?
    B: Did mod originally have a preview picture in old UI? If it did, show that picture. If it didn't, introduce and show new picture which doesn't alter the mod (because it's new so there is no altering existing stuff). This brings us back to A - there were preview pictures in old UI in ISI mods - so just use those.
    C: There are tools to make new cars for rf2. There are tools to make entire new racing sims. What is your point?
    We are not talking about mods here but the official content that gets installed with vanilla game.

9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Just wait then. They'll violate their contracts and get to that soon, I'm sure. Remember, just wait.

10. RusRob

RusRob Registered

Ahh,,, Thanks Dave, It sort of makes rF2 seem incomplete or unfinished not to have included the pics. I understand that outside modders should include the pics and some don't do it but for S397 to just write that off seems like something a second rate mod maker would do. There must have been a better way to have achieved this and not say... Here is our brand new racing sim.... but before you use it you have to fix the crap we didn't want to do... I seriously doubt it would have been a copyright issue by putting a screenshot of the "Unknown cars"

I really like rFactor now that I have my wheel fixed but the more I see and hear it certainly seems like a work in progress. I came very late to this party so I would think all the bugs and glitches would have been worked out by now...

Oh Well. If I want a finshed and polished sim I guess ill fire up AC... That is pretty sad since I have always been a rF fanboy... :(

Ill have to find a tutorial on how to do those shots and put them in the game so at least it feels complete on my end.

Thanks for the help Dave, (we have to stop meeting like this LOL)))

Cheers,
    Bob

davehenrie likes this.
  11. FS7

FS7 Registered

Yes, the old UI did have preview for all cars.
    I have the same problem, no preview pictures for FR3.5, Skip Barber, and all the Reiza cars. There used the be preview pictures for all of the cars but after the new UI got implemented I started having this issue.
    The issue is the new UI, all these excuses about S397 supposedly having to take extra time & effort to fix something that was working before the new UI are bs.

12. Comante

Comante Registered

OMG please stop beat the dead horse, the OLD UI was a messy garbage that hampered and infested almost every part of the code of RF2 from the beginning. They took 2 years to dissect the problem and remove that cancer from the code. While the new UI is not finished or perfect, it is already better than the old.
    The old UI will never come back, sooner you get over it, better it will be for you.
    Conservativism is bad.

Highlandwalker and lagg like this.
  13. Filip

Filip Registered

You missed the point. Nobody wants the old UI.

We users don't care about what's under the hood and if the old code was bad or not. It's not our problem.
    Only relevant is that new UI has design problems, it is non-intuitive, contains basic errors. It is definitely the worst ui of all sims and beyond.
    Worst of all - it isn't maintained and improved.
    2 years? Wrong. It's been 5 years in "development".
    It's been 1.5 years already since beta and the ui looks 99% the same and has 99% of same problems.

Conservativism?
    Nonsense.
    People just want quality and ease of use!

DavidG and FS7 like this.
  14. RusRob

RusRob Registered

After many tries using the search function here (doesn't seem to work very well). I found a post about this issue of the covered cars. I should have saved it so I could quote it but didn't, and now I can't find it again...

I have been trying find out HOW to do this myself but I have searched multiple times and can't find much...

Is there any info that anyone knows on how to do this?

The post I did find was by Lazza he said it was probably best not to fix this because it could cause problems later on...
    problems later on??? what problems?

I am very detail oriented person and this really bugs me with not being able to see 1/3 of the cars I have. I understand that S397 is not going to fix this but I would like MY version to at least look finished.

I am not asking for anything but direction on how this is done and... If Lazza is correct then I would like to know how to remove the cars that I can not see? I know how to remove them but don't they just come back after an update?

Hello Lazza, you around?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Cheers,
    Bob

On a side note about this, In AC I painted my own car and put the picture of it in the menus in about 45 minutes with no help. Just looking at how the other cars were done. Pretty intuitive... :)

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@RusRob if you want get someone's attention, @ them (type @, start typing their name, and a list of possible matches will come up).

I don't know what I said or where I said it. I've done a few posts so it's not easy to track them down sometimes.

These UI icons for the cars are included as part of the mod. You could repackage the mod with the icons, but then you'd have new versions of those cars (as far as I know, you can't get around this - could be wrong).

They weren't auto generated in the old UI, they used different file names (and possibly format?) and modders included those files. Those same files aren't used by the new UI, so rather than nothing it shows the car covers.

@RusRob PS whatever you're browsing the forum with should have a history function. Maybe that will help?

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  16. RusRob

RusRob Registered

Lazza, So using the @Lazza marks it in red? Or is there something else it does? But hey! I got your attention ;)

So that really sucks that you have to repackage every car to change this... I have looked at the aspects of doing a mod or 2 in rF2 but seeing the hoops they make you jump through it appears they were trying to dissuade modders (can you say DLC... ;)

So can I delete these cars and not have them come back? I tried that in AC with the Paid content and then next launch it added them all back.

Thanks again,

Cheers,
    Bob

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'm pretty sure you can unsubscribe to all (non-DLC) content on the workshop, that should remove it from your game. Deleting it manually (in the folders) wouldn't be recommended, as at some point the game will see you're still subscribed but it's not installed, and reinstall it for you.

Modding? Icons are the least of your concerns. Hundreds of hours just to get something half decent happening, be it car or track.

18. RusRob

RusRob Registered

@Lazza I was just looking on Steam and it appears I can not delete the cars that came with rF2 that have no pictures, the button is grayed out.. It looks like I am stuck with it this way.

I know all about modding and am pretty capable, Nascar Heat, GPL, Rfactor1 and Netcar. I easily have over 10k hours in modding. (probably that alone in rF1). So I have read most of the basics of rF2. If it were not for the fact that rF2 doesn't support De Dion Tube suspension I would be working on converting our (Team Players) 1955 mod over right now. So I have looked into what it takes. ;)

Thanks for your help, I see you are pretty much all over the place helping so it is nice to know there are guys like you.

Cheers,
    Bob

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I thought I'd seen you say something about modding, then your comment about the pictures threw me off :confused:

I wouldn't draw any sort of link between modding difficulty and DLC - it's changed very little since the pre-DLC days. I also don't think they're actually making it difficult (pictures can seem difficult if you're just wanting to fix all the cars you have in your install, but if you're doing a car, or several cars, it's not that hard - and if you're doing a pack with 20-30+ you'd probably find a way to batch it as much as possible (and has been talked about already on the forum) so it won't be a huge deal). Fair to say you don't really get any hand-holding though, and need to pore over and mix together some recent guides and some from the early days of rF2 to work out how everything goes together. With your modding experience I doubt you'd have too many difficulties, but if de dion emulation isn't cutting it for you I can understand why that would be a downer. (I'm still very much learning suspension stuff myself, and am yet to fully appreciate some of the shortcomings I've seen mentioned - one day I might find myself dejectedly cursing the rF2 gods. Or I might get insanely lucky and some physics stuff happens and covers what I need before I get there :D)

@RusRob forgot to mention, if I go to the rF2 workshop and bring up some old ISI content like the Honda NSX, the Subscribed button seems active (changes to unsubscribe when I hover over it). I don't know why they'd be greyed out for you.

Last edited: May 15, 2021