[REL] Keimola Motor Stadium Conversion to Rfactor 2

Discussion in 'Locations' started by EmperorOfFinland, Jan 27, 2021.

1. EmperorOfFinland

EmperorOfFinland Registered

So i managed to get it done but the cars simply just phase through the pitlane, but the track itself seems to work really well on its own despite the mesh should be smooth

Corti and Mauro like this.
  2. EmperorOfFinland

0.93 Version has been released and you can enjoy it now in the workshop. i will probably spend time tweaking the surface but until i know what im doing i wont be doing it.

So here are the things i did to it.

1: I spent extensive amount of time subdividing the surface up to modern standards so its considerably smoother now
    2: I fixed some holes on the map so it should look better now. i will probably go and fix other holes too on the track on the version i get the surface working just fine.
    3: As of this point if someone knows how to noise and make it better it would be appreciated as i could experiment with different roadfeelings.

Do report back from the surface and give suggestions on how i should rework the surface even more as its basically a blank slate at this moment

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    Legend, pascom, Corti and 3 others like this.
  3. EmperorOfFinland

When i find out how i can add other cars for the moddev i will redo the AI file for the track and bring it up to speed. also i will fix the white lines being bit jagged. So if you know how to add different cars to moddev i can more easily do the AI file redo and get it working on the track as the stock moddev car is horrible to drive

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  4. Esa Ahonen

Esa Ahonen Registered

I tried out the 0.93 version and I can still clearly feel the jaggedness in the corners. It's not as bad as before but it's not smooth either. I'm no modder myself but should it be actually smooth before adding noise? I figure it's hard to get real random feel to the noise if there's this patterned jaggedness underlaying.

Do mean the treeline when say you fixed holes? I don't know if I remember it correctly but to me it seems like there are more holes in the treeline now. Especially looking left when coming to pit straight.

5. EmperorOfFinland

its the LOD's they got resetted. its just a simple edit for me to do. as i tweaked the lods differently before and seemingly they got resetted. On the surface itself. i literally have not thrown enough testing on the surface. its subdivided and feels extremely smooth compared to the old one. i dont know what 3Dsimed did to the surface. but to my knowledge it should be more divided as that is how it was on blender. however something could have gotten mixed up on the transfer from blender to 3Dsimed. I will edit the lods now and release a fix today.

svictor, Mauro and pascom like this.
  6. EmperorOfFinland

I released 0.94 where i fixed the lods. i cant test the mesh as i cant drive atm as my arm hurts from the flushot that i got so i wont be able to test the surface myself before tomorrow but i adjusted the material values on the track and will experiment how it feels

svictor, pascom, Corti and 1 other person like this.
  7. Esa Ahonen

Esa Ahonen Registered

I can try it out later today. The choice of car (naturally) affects how the corners feel. So if you test it later I'd suggest some modern open wheeler with stiff suspension.

8. EmperorOfFinland

I think a F1 1979 car would be fitting as suspension should be pretty hard. and i know how it feels on other tracks as i dont really drive modern cars per said. but the car does not really shake on cockpit atleast.

9. Esa Ahonen

Esa Ahonen Registered

I just tried it and to me the corners feel very much different from 0.93. Now they are really smooth. Are you certain that update 0.93 contained the corrected meshes? Last time I tried it I really wondered what has changed and now it's obvious.

Now I can only feel some regular jaggedness in some parts where the corner starts. Or actually just before the corner. Biggest one is at the end of the pit straight. Otherwise the corners feel great and those few bumps that are there feel natural.

I can still see some holes in the treeline, especially coming into the BP Curve.

Also at least in VR the treeline texture shows a thin greenish-blueish line at the top of it. Like the treetops are connected with thin line.

10. atomed

atomed Member

To add a car to moddev you only have to copy the car folder you want from installed/vehicles to moddev/vehicles. It should appear on your car list.

11. EmperorOfFinland

What i did i adjusted the lods itself so there is no gaps on the trees that they all render as expected. however i would have to fabricate more trees to block the view completely or extend the end of the track to block the gaps. so basically now the mesh itself does not have that. but the treeline has its original gaps that it always had. now the lods are so the edge trees where they are are visible right now.

About that line over them. i dont actually know what causes it. so i have not been able to fix it. its probably related to the way i added shadowing to them with the textureshadow options.

I know where the bad road probably is. its a piece of road that has Road surface, instead of new asphalt, i made the pitlane to be older asphalt. and the track to be new asphalt.
    What wheel you have? as i have T300rs and the track never had issues with jaggedness being an issue before on 0.93 atleast on the tests it did on the track itself. As if you have direct drive you might have the extra detail that i dont have myself.

Yeah its confirmed its the road strip before the entrance and exit of pits i did subdivide that too but it seems the Road prefix causes it to handle like that i will fix it for the next one when i will do AIW probably for next week The strip.png

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    Mauro likes this.
  12. svictor

svictor Registered

The thin line(texture) at each edge of a mesh is texture bleeding(ex. the bottom pixel repeated at the top edge, thus a thin line appears). There are two ways that I know that can fix it. One is to slightly expand UV map so the edge will extend out of the mesh edge(I mainly use this method, and use script to batch the process). Another way is to edit texture and add a 1 pixel total transparent border around the edge of texture.

It issue is most noticeable when converting track from GPL, since most GPL track textures are painted with pixel at every edges.

Mauro likes this.
  13. EmperorOfFinland

i did some test runs and noted that the pitline inlights dont work properly so i have to fix them too for next week. the surface feels quite good with f1 1979 wolf WR8. i noted some performance problems on VR and i know how to fix them easily for the next update. its related to mirrors

But hey atleast stuff gets solved slowly, thanks svictor for providing me the info to fix it :)

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  14. EmperorOfFinland

Could you provide the script to batch the process so i can get it quicky done svictor?

15. svictor

svictor Registered

It's a Autohotkey script to automate UV map change in 3dsimed. Unfortunately it is complex and will not be easy to work with the script unless you understand AHK script language, as requires to setup mouse clicking and moving coordinates correctly, and set how many loops and which of those materials that you want to batch or skip (not all material have bleeding issue).

Nevertheless, here is the AHK script that batch change UV map about 1% larger for all edges, it's made for 1080p screen size with 3dsimed window maximized (3dsimed window must be focused, and should not have no mouse/keyboard input or any other application interrupt during batch process). Use notepad to edit it accordingly.

Do not run the script if you are not sure.

Save below code in notepad, name it as: batch_UV.ahk

Code:
    ; IMPORTANT INFO ABOUT GETTING STARTED: Lines that start with a
    ; semicolon, such as this one, are comments.  They are not executed.

; Press Win+B to Force Exit script
    ; Press Alt+Z to Reload script
    ; Press Win+X to Suspend script

SetBatchLines, -1
    SetKeyDelay, -1

Sleep, 1000
    Loop, 1
    {
    MouseMove, 1807, 212, 0
    Sleep, 300
    Click
    Sleep, 300
    send {Down}
    Sleep, 300
    send {Right}
    Sleep, 300
    send {Enter}
    Sleep, 300
    send 0.99
    Sleep, 100
    send {Tab}
    Sleep, 100
    send 0.99
    Sleep, 100
    send {Tab}
    Sleep, 100
    send {Tab}
    Sleep, 100
    send {Tab}
    Sleep, 100
    send 0.004
    Sleep, 100
    send {Tab}
    Sleep, 100
    send 0.005
    Sleep, 100
    send {Enter}
    Sleep, 300
    MouseMove, 1716, 255, 0
    Sleep, 300
    Click, WheelDown
    Sleep, 300
    }

#x::Suspend Toggle
    return

!z::Reload
    return

#b::ExitApp
    return

And this script below will only expand top&bottom edge by 1%, good for continuing tree wall:
    Code:
    ; IMPORTANT INFO ABOUT GETTING STARTED: Lines that start with a
    ; semicolon, such as this one, are comments.  They are not executed.

; Press Win+B to Force Exit script
    ; Press Alt+Z to Reload script
    ; Press Win+X to Suspend script

SetBatchLines, -1
    SetKeyDelay, -1

Sleep, 1000
    Loop, 1
    {
    MouseMove, 1807, 212, 0
    Sleep, 300
    Click
    Sleep, 300
    send {Down}
    Sleep, 300
    send {Right}
    Sleep, 300
    send {Enter}
    Sleep, 300
    send {Tab}
    Sleep, 100
    send 0.99
    Sleep, 100
    send {Tab}
    Sleep, 100
    send {Tab}
    Sleep, 100
    send {Tab}
    Sleep, 100
    send {Tab}
    Sleep, 100
    send 0.005
    Sleep, 100
    send {Enter}
    Sleep, 300
    MouseMove, 1716, 255, 0
    Sleep, 300
    Click, WheelDown
    Sleep, 300
    }

#x::Suspend Toggle
    return

!z::Reload
    return

#b::ExitApp
    return

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    Corti and Mauro like this.
  16. EmperorOfFinland

Rather interesting so i can probably edit the uv map manually based on this as its only couple objects that need that to be done. alternatively i can add extra empty spot to the textures

17. EmperorOfFinland

well it seems i need a tip on how to do it on 3d simed as its like 3-4 objects that i need to edit to fix it completely.

18. EmperorOfFinland

okay i managed to sort out the black lines on the textures, how i did it was that i moved the texture 1 pixel up and saved it as PNG and then saved it back as DDS. that fixed the problem. now i only need to redo the AIW racingline and i can release the next version :)

Mauro likes this.
  19. EmperorOfFinland

Okay i did the new fastline and blocking line for the AIW file and adjusted the pits. now they are really racing around the track. then i will do a test race on it and then send it off. AIW test.png

20. EmperorOfFinland

0.95 has been released,
    Here is the list of improvements and fixes
    1: I fixed all the holes on the tracksides and made sure lods work as intended
    2: I readjusted the objectspawning on mirrors so its lighter in VR
    3: I redid the AIW file and did a new fastline so the cars will take much faster lines though the corner and added a blocking line so the cars block effectively now.
    4: Fixed the black lines from textures by manipulating them upwards by 1 pixel.

Do report back if there is something to fix from it :D

pascom, Alessio Feletto and Mauro like this.