I really want to like rF2 but many issues are taking a toll...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RusRob, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Brutten

Brutten Registered

Try, also, to soften

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Thanks for that. The settings might have a couple of issues. The 900° is like 2 1/2 full revolutions from lock to lock. I know you prefer older content, but that seems rather large. Most of the GT3 cars change to around 540° when the Vehicle Set box is checked. I'll take a look at the Spark to see if the vehicle set is blank or x like yours.(just checked, try changing the vehicle set from x to a checkmark. That should automatically reduce your wheel's range)
    2nd, the 65% sensitivity. S397 confused things in this setting by changing to a different scale with the new UI. With the older UI, 50% was the centerline but now it's 100. So any value UNDER 100 slows down the initial response of the wheel (but increases the wheel response as you near the end of your wheel's travel) Tiny adjustments to sensitivity above or below the center are my recommendation. Speedway/Oval users often end up below the center(100% in the new UI) this minimizes the car swaying back and forth on the long straights in places like Indy. Road Racers often turn their sensitivity above 100 for a slightly quicker reaction to the motion of the wheel. But that can make the car darty or nervous when driving those long straights(Le Mans anyone?)
    So with 65% sensitivity, you wheel's motion is being filtered so that a half inch of travel 'feels' more like only 1/4 inch of lateral motion.
    If you remember GPL, 100% linerity (sensitivity) was the goal but it required a steady hand for non-aliens to hang onto the car, well, non-aliens ALWAYS had trouble keeping up with GPL. Try a value of 100, if the car seems to wander or respond too quickly to small movements, then reduce it 2 or 3 %. And if the wheel seems to not react quickly enough, raise the value to over 100, again in small increments.
    Best of luck.
    And just for clarity's sake, I WAS NOT referring to that speed sensitivity on the right but the slider below your steering wheel.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  3. RusRob

RusRob Registered

@Brutten,
    I have tried setting it from low to high and I either get the shaking wheel when I first go to the car or the fake dead zone. Where it is set right now the wheel is at the border of shaking. This is where I can get the dead zone down to about 1" of travel.

On the same note: In my G25 driver software I found I can get rid of the dead zone completely by adjusting the Centering Spring setting but then I loose a lot of the Force Feedback and it just feels like spring resistance.

I appreciate your help on this. Maybe this can help some of the other people that are having the same issue. If this was just one isolated issue I would say it is probably on my end but since a number of posts have been made of people having the exact same issue it seems it is something inherent in open wheel cars. (it isn't as noticeable on tin tops).

Thanks again Brutten,
    Cheers,
    Bob

4. RusRob

RusRob Registered

@Dave,

I will give that a try. I have been messing around with this so much lately that I am loosing focus.... and unfortunately that means interest in rF2 since most of my time is spent messing with trying to get this right. As the title of the topic says, I really do want to like rF2, I can tell it is a big improvement over rF1 if only I could get this glaring issue resolved.

Thanks for the help and info, I will play around with those setting later tonight and see where it leads.

"If you remember GPL, 100% sensitivity was the goal but it required a steady hand for non-aliens to hang onto the car, well, non-aliens ALWAYS had trouble keeping up with GPL"

Yea, Thats what I actually like about GPL, It taught me to like "twitchy" :)

Thanks again Dave,
    Cheers,
    Bob

5. Brutten

Brutten Registered

@RusRob
    I have a G27 and I understand your problem.
    I too suffer from a slack area, and worse a delay when turning. I haven't found a solution, just an adjustment that is not very annoying.

6. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Other sims have fake effects to make your wheel feel acceptable, rF2 does not (to my knowledge). Unfortunately if you can't learn to accept the deadzone, I think the only other option is going for something other than a Logitech if you intend to get the most out of rF2. I know that's not the answer you want but I think it's the only way. When you use a high end wheel, there is no deadzone (someone else please correct me if that is wrong). This is not hard fact, this is my opinon, I'm not telling you what to do.

As an analogy I kind of like to think of the rF2's FFB like a RAW photo file. If you don't know what that is, it's the unadulterated, unfiltered raw output directly from a camera's sensor, without any baked-in effects. Well, often, the RAW files look BAD, as in, the RAW photos from my very high end camera look WORSE than jpegs from an iphone. This is because the jpegs from an iphone has baked in post prossessing to kind of 'fake it' to make the photo look good (sharpening, contrast, noise reduction etc). The RAW file is just the raw unfiltered, unprocessed output, worts and all. So before my analogy goes off track, I'll get to the point, if you have a cheap and nasty raw file processing software, it usually does a really bad job at interpreting the raw file and turning it into a good looking photo. If you have a high quality processing software like Capture One or Lightroom, they do a better job at processing the unfiltered file and making sense of all the data. I'm not saying this is scientifically accurate, it's just the way I think of it. Beefy, unfiltered raw output, needs beefy hardcore high-end product to interpret it accurately.

7. RusRob

RusRob Registered

Dave my old friend, you came through again.

In the Calibrate/Steering/Vehicle set =X I "assumed", the X in the setting meant that it was not available, so I didn't even try to change it ... Shouldn't that be a "Yes or No" answer?

I just spent the last couple of hours testing this out and it seemed to have fixed it! The wheel is still a little "light" in the middle, but nothing like before. I have maybe 1/4" of dead zone now and its smooth.

This was the problem all along, It now feels 1000% better. ;)

It makes sense now, I had set it to a fixed 900 degree rotation so the deadzone was really wide. The one thing it also did was stop the exaggerated road bumps (or whatever that clacking and shaking was) So I am a happy guy!

Thanks to eveyone for the help. If you didn't have the "fix", at least you got me looking harder at the setting ;)

Cheers,
    Bob

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  8. RusRob

RusRob Registered

Brutten, Please don't confuse me with someone that knows rF2 :rolleyes: But you said:

"and worse a delay when turning"

That sounds like lag to me. I have had issues like that when I didn't have a fast enough video card, but I am guessing there are lots of other issues related to lag in a wheel. I don't know what they could be but I bet someone could address that.

Hope you get that resolved,

Bob

9. Brutten

Brutten Registered

I'm glad you got a satisfactory adjustment.

It's clear to me that I'm not going to be able to correct the steering lag (I have an i7, nVidia 1080, 16 gb... it's not because of the equipment). I think I have the best setting you can have with such an old steering wheel and I'm happy (and resigned).

Have a good race.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You shouldn't have a massive amount of input lag with the G27. I used it (and a G25 before it) for 7+ years doing modern F1 league racing, and while I'm not particularly quick I am sometimes moderately technically proficient and finicky, so a large input delay would have been noticed and dealt with (or suffered with much complaining and excuse making - and I actually won a few races).

You may want to look into possible causes of input lag, but perhaps to start with you should consider display lag - reduce image processing (including in your screen itself, they usually come with contrast processing by default) and experiment with different vsync and frame limiting options to see what works best. It's very hard to drive properly if you have noticeable lag. The wheel itself isn't an issue.

11. Brutten

Brutten Registered

Thank you Lazza.
    As I said, I am quite satisfied with the overall performance of the G27. It's a battleship and can take anything.
    I've always had that little bit of lag, and you get used to it after a lot of running and running. I'm sure that if I had to change steering wheel, I'd turn a bit before the right point. I'd get used to it all the same.
    I shouldn't be too bad, as I'm first in this year's F1 championship (we'll see how I finish).