High Refresh Rate Monitor + First Run

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by buddhatree, May 3, 2021.

1. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Recently did a fresh install of rF2 on a fresh Windows install and usually I always run the graphics configurator first before I start rF2 for the first time but this time I didn't. I set the graphics configuration in-game and set the refresh rate to 165hz. I loaded up a track and it was stuttering very severely and even worse on replays. I tried everything and nothing worked. The UI and the game were like slo-mo.

Finally I ran the rF2 graphics configurator from Steam and I noticed the refresh rate was set at 60hz, even though it showed 165hz in the in-game settings. As soon as I changed that to match the in-game setting, the stuttering was gone.

I've been playing with rF2 for 10 years now so I eventually figure stuff out, but someone brand new to the game who doesn't even know that graphics configurator exists might have a harder time.

****Also I should note that when running the graphics configurator for the first time, refresh rate is not an option. It does not show up. You have to set all your other settings like resolution and AA levels, click OK, then re-open the configurator and now you can set your refresh rate****

Again, someone new to the game might not know to do that. Thanks for listening.

DJCruicky likes this.
  2. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Well, I thought the stuttering was fixed but I was still getting massive stutter on replays.

Also, the first time I go out on track, it's fine, no stutter, but if I come into the pits and then go back out on track, I get the same stutter I see in replay.

That made me think it's replay related so I went into the player.json and changed "record to memory" to "true" and that solved ALL stuttering - on track and replay. Both are stutter-free.

I'm on the latest release candidate btw. Hope this helps.

Highlandwalker likes this.
  3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Your 'fresh' install may have over-written changes in the past that corrected those issues. Glad you got things running smoothly.

4. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

That's my permanent setting, I've lost count of the number of times I've posted this cure for stuttering. It's the only real cure for stuttering, all the other suggestions I've seen do not really work. Good that got it running smoothly.

buddhatree likes this.