Latest Roadmap Update - April 2021

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Apr 30, 2021.

1. TJones

TJones Registered

First of all, very good and detailed roadmap again.
    The direction development goes, is not much to my liking I'm afraid. Of course I can see the necassity of implementing a "first time start up" tool to lower entry level of the sim. I don't see this for SSR, I think wet reflection is pretty good already while other areas of wet weather experience, like spray generation (size and shape dosen't vary well with different speed and type of vehicle, overall look) or rain drops on windscreen (amount of ripple, dry out phase) badly needed improvements.
    Almost everithing is about multiplayer while singleplayer stuff left behind since quite a while now. I would like to select the amount of cars of each class in a multiclass race for example. No word about AI or physics updates. As a developer of a top class (that's where rF2 belongs to) racing simulation title, a dedicated developer for simulation physics (wich obviously isn't the case now) is mandatory IMO.
    There was some speech about new tires for Oreca back in january. ref: "https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/“-are-rfactor2-physics-broken”-video.68348/page-9#post-1053634" Seems a bit silly to ask, but any news about that?
    I get more and more the impression it's sort of "short term" thinking, with the goal to get as much new customers as possible, on cost of long term "rounded up" user experience.

2. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

Last time I drove rF2 under wet conditions I noticed that the dry line had the most grip and the AI chose the wrong tyres. Of course I'm not holding my breath for any AI fixes, but if S397 are putting the effort in to update wet weather visuals, will the physics be updated so that the rubbered-in dry line is slippery?

Sim_Player, DaREALMastaD and Travis like this.
  3. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

You missed Portimao (F1)

And here are some more:
    BRITISH GT CHAMPIONSHIP
    May 22/23: Brands Hatch GP (1x 2-hour race)

EUROPEAN LE MANS SERIES
    RED BULL RING 15-16 MAY

GT4 EUROPEAN SERIES
    28-30 May – Paul Ricard, France

GT WORLD CHALLENGE EUROPE
    1-2 May – Brands Hatch, UK (Sprint)
    7-9 May or 14-16 May – TBA (Endurance)
    28-30 May – Circuit Paul Ricard, France (Endurance)

GT WORLD CHALLENGE AMERICA
    COTA 30April-2 May
    Canadian Tire Motorsport Park 21-23 May

INTERNATIONAL GT OPEN
    Paul Ricard 16 May

LAMBORGHINI SUPER TROFEO
    EUROPE
    Round 2: Le Castellet (France), 28-30 May

LAMBORGHINI SUPER TROFEO
    NORTH AMERICA
    Round 2: Circuit of the Americas (USA), 21-23 May

PORSCHE CARRERA CUP ASIA
    Rounds 3-4 Zhuhai International Circuit 14-16 May

PORSCHE CARRERA CUP GB
    Rounds 5&6 Oulton Park TOCA 14 – 16 May

I think they said it was a European circuit so I think it's most likely Portimao, Red Bull Ring or Paul Ricard.

DucMan888 likes this.
  4. DucMan888

DucMan888 Registered

Thanks @Bill Worrel for all the excellent additions. My first choice for laser scanned would be Portimao followed by a close second of CTMP, as the mod version is superb. And COTA would be an interesting choice as a 3rd runner up.

5. Stevy

Stevy Registered

Does the Studio still have a physics team/guy which works on the core game?
    We haven't heard of something physics related in years. And that whole blog thing started as physics blog, so...

And I don't mean BoP or working on a new car.
    We all know that rFactor has still mayor physics problems.
    And by now I go as far as to say rFactor2 is not the "most realistic" sim anymore.

So everything that's left for rF2 is FFB and (perhaps) AI.

zaphman, Kahel, RNeves and 4 others like this.
  6. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

I only ask out of curiosity.
    Which Sim is your # 1 Sim?
    BeamNG?
    I still hesitate to buy it.
    So far I only see crashes on YT.
    I know is offtopic sry buddys.
    With VorPx you can even use it in VR.

so offtopic off ..

7. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

This is a question that could be seen as offensive to the S397 team and the fanboys, but I believe this question is logical, legitimate and necessary and even urgent to be honest.

Kahel and B. Gant like this.
  8. Stevy

Stevy Registered

My #1 sim is still rF2 as it just fits my needs the best at the moment and its the most fun and feels the best.
    But I think on the physics side it's not #1 anymore. Look at iRacing, ACC and even AC. Yes they have their own problems and shortcomings. Also they feel different.
    But they simulate stuff which rF2 doesn't. Tyre temp affected by track. Track temp affected by sun. Gearbox simulation.
    No "always lowest tyre pressure", Hybrid/ERS simulation etc.
    Again they have obviously also problems and in other areas they are perhaps still behind rF2 or even don't support some things.
    But seen as a whole package I think iR, AC(C), perhaps even a (AMS or RRRE) are better than rF2 on the pure physics side.

So I did offened myself as I call myself a RF2 fanboy :D

mesfigas and Corgan like this.
  9. sushi

sushi Registered

Let's say it another way. The speed of physics development doesn't keep up with the rest. And thus the most important core characteristic that rf has always placed before all other sims is neglected. It is good to develop the graphics further, but one must not neglect the other components. In my opinion that is currently the case, unfortunately.

zaphman, Travis, marvelharvey and 7 others like this.
  10. olukelo

olukelo Registered

Sounds. SoundS. SOUNDS!!! The most neglected feature of the game in current state. I do not know if it is engine restrioctions or so bad sound samples, at the moment rFactor has the most terrible and outdated sounds in the world of simracing. I wish developers take it into account.

And considering that other aspects of game are going forvard(visuals and so on), those ugly sounds become more and more noticable

11. Love Guitars n Cars

Love Guitars n Cars Registered

I know I'm in the minority here but more North American circuits please. Offer something that other titles aren't.

bravotangosix and williang83 like this.
  12. sman

sman Registered

Hope they will also edit the possibility to see in the online race selection which cars are to be driven in the server , so not having to join first and then see which cars there are in. Would save a lot of time searching

Alex96 likes this.
  13. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

North Idaho is open and about 75% mask free. You could drive from Spokane Wa (Pronounced SPO-kan) to Mid Ohio(two days) or the Road Atlanta(4-5 days)
    There is Kent Raceway near Seattle(5+hrs), Spokane County Raceway, near.....Spokane...(Where the Gonzaga Basketball team is located)
    COTA is 3 very loooong days travel. So they could fly into Spokane, stay in Idaho which is about an hr from the airport and then drive off for just about anywhere in the States except where certain Governors are slowing down their State's recovery.

14. Martin Vindis

Martin Vindis Registered

Welcome to the internet friend.
    People laugh at all games that doesn't suit their needs. RRRE laughs at rf2 who laughs at iRacing who laughs at AMS2 who laughs at AC etc etc. It happen in every gaming scene, CS/Quake, Tekken/Street Fighter, DOTA/LOL, APEX Legends/Fortnite.

15. guenther

guenther Registered

First I wanted to unsub this thread. But that discussion....I need popcorn.

marmagas likes this.
  16. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

Despite the fact that I would like the physics engine to be the number 1 priority of 397 which it is not, to say the least, I think the physics of rF2 is really good.

I do not see any inconsistencies between simulation and reality when I drive an official S397 car on rF2.

I also find that the quality of S397 cars physics is really their strong point or one of them.

17. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Quite a nice roadmap. Nice to see previews of screen space reflections, I think it will bring only positives in all aspects. Also pretty excited for Lime Rock, awesome track, some more immersion and beauty will be awesome.

True, but not because suiting needs, because echo chambers. Fanboys, whiteknights only want to see positives about what they identify as part of, and only negatives about what others are. And those who don't follow same logic are disrespected and pushed out.

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@mantasisg I think I see what you're doing there. I also think you must own very large mirrors. But that's cool.

Remco Majoor likes this.
  19. Martin Vindis

Martin Vindis Registered

The driving in rf2 is absolutely a blast imo, but that's all it is, an opinion. We all have them and they hardly ever match. Not even the real life drivers can't agree on what sim is more realistic.

I've been saying it for years, simracing games will always be closer to mario kart than real life racing because in the end it's only another racing game.

marmagas likes this.
  20. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

Remembering Hamiltons hot lap in Monza last year I think its quite different: reality approaches more and more sim racing