Released March 2021 rFactor 2 Build Release

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Mar 4, 2021.

1. RoWo

RoWo Member

Yeah, the stuttering is back. :(

2. MASERASER

MASERASER Registered

It wasn't...the stutters in the replay are back and as burgesjl shared before, even worse than before.
    the picture or /and the cars jump downright in parts of the track . No human being can watch such unrest.
    From inside the car during the race, it doesn't seem quite as bad. The frames during the race don't seem particularly lower or unsteady.
    I still had a very smooth run even in replay this morning after a Steam update came out. Once again, of course, there is additional stuttering in accidents due to the scratch and dent damage model.

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I don't know if this will work, but have you tried lowering replay or car detail? I would suspect the scratch and dents will not show at lower car detail settings.

4. Luprosx

Luprosx Registered

Ok I understand.
    Only I have been using these settings since rF2 has existed. Always the same.
    In the Old-Ui there was no problem either.
    Not even in the new Ui until recently.
    I've been using the released candidate for about 4 weeks.
    When used for the first time, no stuttering, then update through 397 and stuttering.
    Then again update by 397, no stuttering and now another update now stuttering again.
    The whole thing is annoying.
    Finally do something sensible.
    It can not be such a huge problem that the replay runs properly with existing, previously functioning settings.
    Ok, I could take the free official UI, no, I want to test with you (397) to get better.
    So then also deliver something decent!

davehenrie likes this.
  5. MASERASER

MASERASER Registered

I always use the same settings, especially since I've been driving for years with hardware that also lets you choose appropriate graphics settings.
    Of course I do not change the settings every week, but only, @davehenrie you want to help with your tip yes, only if something changes negatively after an update. I have meanwhile tested myself tired with the damage model.
    Definitely have the graphics settings, neither while driving nor in the replay something to do with the sheet metal scratch damage model.
    But the fact that as soon as a car is on the track with this damage model, the stuttering begins. The big jerks then occur when the cars crash against each other or against guard rails and the like.
    The update from yesterday showed that the stutters and frame losses are so extreme that in the replay a real bouncing orgy of images or cars is shown. And this with an average frames during the race of 185 frames. This has nothing to do with a racing simulation. And if you can't drive smoothly with a RTX3090 these days with not particularly demanding graphics, then I seriously wonder how a Playstation or X-Box manages that. And there are completely different fender benders shown regardless of whether with a demanding background or not.
    I don't want to complain only or too much, because I chose the release candidate myself to contribute to the further development of an excellent racing simulation. Of course, I also expect the responsible persons to seriously follow and evaluate the results. I think that @Paul Jeffrey already cares intensively about it and knows exactly what I have described.
    Yesterday's update was a positive idea, but the effect was catastrophic. Unless we change the race cars to springboks.
    Sorry for the sarcasm, but it's not absent when many of us screw around with our hardware/software to cover program errors. It is already enough with WIN. I have a great respect for this complex subject of programming and the people who work on it, but we were also once better. It seems like we are going in circles at the moment! But we have hope.

6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Using the Radeon software, I could see my GPU was at 100% when there was stuttering. Below 100, even just a few percent. Smoothed everything out. This despite only half my vram was in use. (ultra settings all round) Turned things down and still saw some stutters but again, only when the GPU maxxed out.

7. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

Hey @MASERASER I've PM'd you with a few questions on my quest to understand this issue :)

Cheers

8. SunBro

SunBro Registered

Before yesterday's update, the performance of release candidate was on par with opt out. But with yesterday's update, not only do i suffer MASSIVE performance loss, i also have major stutters like others. I'm on borderless by the way.

9. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Latest Release Candidate 3 Update

Steam Build IDs
    Client 6541710
    Dedicated 6541716

Changelog
    - Fixed replay stuttering

10. SunBro

SunBro Registered

With this update, any problems introduced are now gone. Thanks.

davehenrie and lagg like this.
  11. David Crespo

David Crespo Registered

Well, I'm doing a little better but there is still a stuttering.

12. MASERASER

MASERASER Registered

Bull's eye.....From my point of view, the problem of stuttering in the replay has been solved!
    The replay has a clean and smooth flow of images.
    Possible further stuttering has another cause, which I have already documented here in the thread!! But that is still being worked on.
    The replay cannot run smoother than the race itself!
    Thanks @Paul Jeffrey and Team Studio397.

Kahel likes this.
  13. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

Well, I think we now have a handle on why the stutters are happening.

Latest release candidate build, display of replay has no stutters except for a few places, like the driving view. This is actually going and selecting a prior saved replay to view, not viewing it as part of an actual driving session.

But... this now displays the "Info" screen on entry to the replay. Clicking on "Sectors" or "Standings" shows that these are not being updated in line with the actual replay. As in, all cars show zero laps even when out on track, your car is always first etc.

14. Luprosx

Luprosx Registered

Thanks for the quick fix.
    Replay runs as it should, without any stuttering!
    Tested with GTE and ASR-F1- 1991, in Spa and Imola, respectively.
    Thanks.

15. David Crespo

David Crespo Registered

I keep seeing stuttering, on the small or full screen monitor, it's not all the time, it is sometimes but it does.

16. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

which version of the UI are you using? The stuttering fix was for the release candidate only.

17. David Crespo

David Crespo Registered

I am using the release candidate of course, the first time the stutter was fixed it was fine for me, but not this time.

18. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

I had thought that my issues with the replay not updating the standings and sectors, meant that lacking these updates had no stutters in the replay itself. However, in a regular driving session, which does updates standings and sectors, the stutter is still gone. So clearly updates to those weren't the cause of the stutters.

And to reiterate, the issue with replay via Watch (play replay file) of sectors and standings missing is still there in latest release candidate.

Further, the update rate of the pedal positions and G meter is too slow. Looks very digital/jerky and not smooth, as you can see from the time stamps that display. I'd say its about every half a second, but not consistent. Further, the inputs graphs show the result after any processing has been applied (e.g. auto-clutch yellow bar), as opposed to the actual inputs of the player themselves. Id rather see true player inputs, or maybe, a toggle to allow one or the other. The current graphs are useless as-is with such an update rate.

DJCruicky likes this.
  19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That slow update is the entire UI. Makes it feel like you're running it through remote desktop, and as long as it's like that no multitude of features will stop it feeling unresponsive.

The "filtered" inputs have always been shown in replays. I like the toggle idea.

20. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

Has the old UI been updated ?