ERS/KERS Simulation

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Tobias Dorsch, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Tobias Dorsch

Tobias Dorsch Registered

Hi.

I think the title says it all. It's 2021 and we still don't have a proper ERS simulation in rF2.
    iRacing and Asetto Corsa have those things for a long time and personally, I love to see them in rFactor 2 as well.

I hope I am not the only one to think this way, since we have a FanBoost simulation for Formula E.
    It would be enough to create a generic F1 car from 2015 onwards to give the Modding Scene the tools to make like LMP1 cars or current F1 cars or something else.

Again I hope I am not the only one to think this way and I like to hear your opinions.

Tobi

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

You are not alone. Hybrids of just about any flavor have been in request for ages. IF the WEC LMP1 category had survived with active manufacturer support, we might have seen that by now. Since there is no hybrid requirement for the lmdh category(although it is allowed) we STILL may not see battery charging or 4 wheel powered cars.

Flipo likes this.
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Welcome back to 2012 :D

KERS was implemented in rF1 via third party tools, and the FISI2012 ought to have included it in rF2.

More recently it seems we need a licensed car to possess a feature before there's talk of adding it to rF2, so let's all push for licensed cars with KERS, and licensed modern hybrids, and licensed manual gearbox cars for drivetrain improvements, ...

atomed and Flipo like this.
  4. Brutten

Brutten Registered

Hello everyone.
    Implementing a pseudo Kers in rFactor is relatively simple. (although it has some drawback that can be solved).
    Obviously using legal methods, without cheating in memory.
    An example is rFHighvoltage in rF1. (Anyone who knows the system knows what I'm talking about).
    A long time ago I recreated that system in rF2 and in our league we use it in the championship. We call it SERE and the behavior can be adapted.
    With the same system I have a LMP1 mod with 4WD and battery system.

Elcid43 and atomed like this.
  5. Brutten

Brutten Registered

Graphic sample.
    upload_2021-4-22_2-28-31.png

The Iron Wolf, Corti and atomed like this.
  6. Guillem Rego

Guillem Rego Registered

Sorry for offtopic but how do you have the game in Spanish?

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I thought the rFHighvoltage package used memory access to do it. Curious how you're doing (and controlling) it otherwise...

8. Brutten

Brutten Registered

@Lazza
    The data provided by the shared memory map is sufficient.
    A DLL for the key management and the windows API to read the Joy device and that's it.

@Guillem Rego
    Desde que S397 cambió de interfaz hay cosas que no se pueden traducir, o yo hasta ahora, no he visto la forma de hacerlo.
    Yo modifiqué un archivo que había por ahí en Castellano y lo adapté a mi gusto, pero conservo el original.
    Los archivos de idioma están en: <rf2>\support\languajes\
    Te adjunto el original

Attached Files:

Corti likes this.
  9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Brutten yes, that makes sense, I understand now. Still, it's a fair amount of hassle for something the game could do...

10. Brutten

Brutten Registered

@Lazza

Totally agree, but how would they manage it from rF2?
    In my case I work with a MySQL database.
    In it I store the basic data of the SERE. (initial load, effective load, brake % to operate)... etc.)
    The configuration of the Plans (A, B, C, L) is done locally since they are data set by the pilots. This way I can flexibly modify the behavior without having to recode the code.
    I don't think S397 will think about going this way.

rFHighvoltage was much simpler in its operation, we needed to simulate the system better to get closer to the simulation.
    Therefore we worked with a database and different customised plans (charging/discharging configurations).

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  11. Guillem Rego

Guillem Rego Registered

Justo por eso te lo decía, porque con la nueva interfaz pensaba que no se podía traducir directamente nada. Muchas gracias por el archivo, ya probaré y miraré a ver qué traduce! :)

Por cierto, muy interesante lo del tema de la batería cómo lo has realizado para simular un sistema híbrido, ¿tienes pensado compartir la herramienta? ¿O ha sido desarrollado con los fines privados de una liga para ser utilizado únicamente en esta?

Muchas gracias y saludos!

12. Brutten

Brutten Registered

@Guillem Rego
    Todo el tema de la batería va integrado en un soft que llevo programando para mi liga desde hace años (desde F1C y con rF1)
    El programa lleva un ingeniero de pista al que se le puede pedir información y que realice algunas acciones, lleva la batería, gestiona el acceso a nuestros servidores, descargas... etc.
    El no hacerlo público es, sencillamente, porque el mod debe estar adaptado, y tiene estar respaldado por una base de datos.
    El mantenimiento lo hago directamente con escritorios remotos. Por todo eso no es viable publicarlo.

13. Brutten

Brutten Registered

For those who do not understand Spanish:

The whole battery issue is integrated in a software that I have been programming for my league for years (since F1C and with rF1).
    The program has a track engineer to whom you can ask for information and perform some actions, it takes the battery, manages access to our servers, downloads... etc...
    Not making it public is simply because the mod has to be adapted, and it has to be backed up by a database.
    The maintenance is done directly with remote desktops. For all these reasons it is not feasible to publish it.

14. Guillem Rego

Guillem Rego Registered

Ah entiendo, pensaba que era algo más sencillo, estilo el rFHighVoltage que se había mencionado. Una pena que sea tan complicado de cara a la compatibilidad y mantenimiento

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It would "simply" be a car system, defined in the car files and governed by mod and server settings.

16. Brutten

Brutten Registered

Maybe @Lazza, but I don't think we'll see it, at least in the short period of time.
    We are happy with what we have developed.
    I'm sorry that I can't come up with a system that can run smoothly in a generic way, but I could help if there is someone more knowledgeable than me who is willing to build a plugin on my knowledge base.
    The biggest problem is the language, if it wasn't for Uncle Guugle.

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

This is the wishlist section. It's not for other people to provide a solution, it's for wishes that would avoid the need to do the sort of work you've done to drive a modern racecar.

Elcid43 likes this.
  18. Brutten

Brutten Registered

I agree.
    Thanks to the fact that rFactor is quite open this kind of shortcomings, and that there are people who expand and improve the game, rF is still a great simulator.
    As it is a desire to have ERS and I have one made I offer to help in a possible project as mine is complicated to support.

Corti likes this.