[REL] Easy Icon Creator Showroom

Discussion in 'Other' started by redapg, Sep 16, 2020.

1. redapg

redapg Registered

@Corti The important Difference can be seen, when you open the Screenshot with a Software that shows the Transparency of the PNG.
    If you, in the DevMode, click the Number Key 1 (above of QW), you hide the Showroom Meshes and the Screenshot gets a fully transparent Background.
    With the Steam Screenshot you always get a colored Background.
    At least that is what i get. ;)

Mauro and Corti like this.
  2. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

its logical that steam cant capture transparency within a game. Only the game itself can do that.

3. Paulus_NL

Paulus_NL Registered

N00b question.
    For the first time ever i created a custom livery for offline use/racing.
    I got that working after playing with photoshop, materials etc.
    Also got the dds files, veh, windshield etc and when i turn it into a MAS file i can use it in the game etc
    For now i used some crappy icons so i see them in the UI.
    But of course i want the sharp and crispy ones made with this showroom :p
    I got the showroom working in devmode and changed the player.json for the screenshot png option. But the only car i get is the skippy.

But here comes my problem.
    When i place the mas for example inside:
    rFactor 2\ModDev\Vehicles\AstonMartin_Vantage_GT3_2019\1.87\

I get the car in the list inside the moddev ui. But without any icon etc. Also when pressing tuning the car doesn't show up. Only the skippy works (only car inside the vehicle folder).

What am i missing to get my livery inside moddev so i can load it up to take the screenshot?

4. cybe

cybe Registered

don't use the mas file but the source files (.dds, .veh, ...) copy them to rFactor 2\ModDev\Vehicles\AstonMartin_Vantage_GT3_2019\1.87\?

5. Paulus_NL

Paulus_NL Registered

also tried. But still nu car visible when pressing tuning. So it looks like i am missing something, but not sure what....

6. redapg

redapg Registered

You try it with DLC Cars right?
    That don't works, because you can not load them in DevMode.

7. Paulus_NL

Paulus_NL Registered

yup its the aston martin GT3. So official DLC doesn't work in devmode? :S

8. redapg

redapg Registered

With Cars, unfortunately no.
    You can not edit the GEN Files with the proper SearchPath= Entries and Links to the MAS Files, because the GEN Files are in the encrypted MAS Files.
    So the Game can not find the Meshes and Textures.
    With DLC Tracks it works, because you have Access to the SCN Files.

9. Paulus_NL

Paulus_NL Registered

hmmm. Need to find another way to get some nice and simple icons :(
    But thanks for the answers/replies this far :)

redapg likes this.
  10. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Regarding DLC cars and have them loaded in DevMode I would like to add that it actually depends on the car. I tested many cars already and some can be loaded into the showroom with ease (e.g. Audi R8 LMS GT3 2019 or BMW M8 GTE 2018 or Formula E Gen2 2021). Going to actually race the cars is a completely different story though (spoiler: it does not work at all).
    Usually you can simply copy the (latest) "car.mas" and "car-upgrades.mas" of a car from the "Installed" folder into a new folder in the DevMode's Vehicles folder. The car should load into showroom. If you like, you can extract the "car-upgrades.mas" into that folder to see the previews and edit the VEH files. That may help with actually creating the previews.

However, there are cars such as the more recently released Aston Martin or Bentley that cannot be copied into DevMode and loaded into the showroom. I'm not completely sure why, but my guess would be it's related to shaders or anything that is not yet available in DevMode graphic-wise. At least the trace shows a "CUBE error" in some situations. Of course there could also be a software-wise implementation that prevents certain content to be loaded into DevMode after all. I tried a couple of things already (some would say primitive hacking attempts :p) but yet without any success.

redapg and McFlex like this.
  11. redapg

redapg Registered

@FuNK! You are right Sven, some DLC Cars load in the DevMode Showroom.
    And i think, that you can not drive them on Track, is caused by Files that simply can not be loaded, like Physics and maybe also Material JSON Files, because they can not be found.
    I doubt that it is a Graphics Problem, because DLC Tracks, that also use the latest Technology, load without any Problems.
    And the only Difference that i see is, that for the Tracks, i can set all SearchPath Entries and Links to MAS Files in the SCN File, so that everything can be found.
    And i can not do that with the Cars GEN Files, because they are in an encrypted MAS File.

12. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Well, I don't wanted and will tell too much, but there is a way to get the GEN file even without decrypting the files. However, it's not easy and also for some it's also not working, what again brings me to the conclusion that there is actually something that prevents the car to load.

13. redapg

redapg Registered

Then, from my Point of View, it can only be the Physic Files in a MAS File that can not be handled in DevMode.

14. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

You can actually see in the trace that the HDV and other files are loaded successfully. Also the automatic UltraChassis creation works, which uses data from the physics files such as the HDV. But there are errors with the actual loading of parameters, which for me looks like there is still something that prevents the decryption maybe. Likely missing files are not causing the issues.
    Anyway, I saw your PM and will answer on that later. Guess that's the better place to continue with this at the moment ;)

Corti likes this.
  15. TheSecret1

TheSecret1 Registered

Any ideas why the front of the car is missing with the icon showroom in ModDev?
    upload_2022-2-4_13-54-38.png
    v's
    upload_2022-2-4_13-55-1.png

16. svictor

svictor Registered

Maybe front gmt object LOD value in spinner.gen isn't far enough for the viewing distance of the showroom.

17. TheSecret1

TheSecret1 Registered

Thanks. I resolved by changing ini file so it is closer.
    What do I use to edit a gmt file?
    also, how come parts of the car are transparent? upload_2022-2-4_14-45-29.png

18. redapg

redapg Registered

I have never seen something like that.
    What are the LodIn and LodOut Values in your Spinner File?
    Set all of them to something like LodIn=(0) LodOut=(100)
    And to edit gmt Files, you can use 3DSMax, Blender or 3DSimEd, for Example.
    Where 3DSimEd is the easiest to use, if you only want to edit Material/Shader Settings.

19. svictor

svictor Registered

There is no need to edit gmt for LOD purpose, because *.gen file always has lodin & lodout values which overrides any values in gmt. You will just need to open spinner.gen with notepad, and find the line that references front gmt, and change lodout to a great value and save, that's all.

Try edit lodout first and see if it also helps transparent issue.
    If not, a few guess would be something wrong with texture format (such as using uncompressed DDS format would results transparent issue), or maybe material has wrong setting with blending mode (such as using alpha blending or chroma for solid body parts), or maybe the gmt object itself has vertex alpha value set to transparent.

20. TheSecret1

TheSecret1 Registered

upload_2022-2-4_18-33-46.png

What does LODIn and LODOut stand for?