I really want to like rF2 but many issues are taking a toll...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RusRob, Apr 13, 2021.

1. RusRob

RusRob Registered

Hi all,
    I have really been trying to like rFactor2 but it seem like it doesn't want me to...

This is my second post on the same issue but now there are other problems that are starting to make me think rF2 is still in the beta stage (after how may years?).

My first issue is with big long delays going from screen to screen. Not all screens and not all the time but I am getting a 20 to 30 second pause with a bright white screen if I go from one menu to the next. Example: If I select a different car when I click "select" the screen goes white and sits there... Not all the time but about 1/2 the time. It can be a car I have already driven or a new one. OR... If I go the the setup screen and change anything. My eyes are light sensitive so these bright white screens are killing me.

In my first post that was the issue,

Strava suggested I turn off saving replays... I did, and it didn't change anything.

Lazza suggested I download the Latest Release Candidate which I did, and there is no joy...

So now I have issues with my G25 wheel. For what ever reason I have to re-calibrate my wheel almost every time I load up rF. What happens is the wheel is turned 90 degrees from what it should be. The only thing I can do is reset the wheel but I may have to do that 2 or 3 times if I decide to change cars. (Again, it is not always but easily half the time.

The other issue is I have a big dead zone in the center. So if I am driving in a straight line I have Zero feedback or any indication that I am actually even driving (as if the wheel goes completely dead). But as soon as I turn the wheel about 2" to the right or left then I can feel that it actually is working.

I installed rF about a week ago and have not had much fun because I have been trying to fix these bugs. I am spending most of my time mucking around with menus, rebooting rFactor and trying to get this to work.

I do NOT have ANY plugins installed and only have installed a couple of cars and tracks. so essentially this is a fresh install. I have not edited any files or changed anything other than turning off saving replays.

I really really want to like rFactor but these issues are making it so it isn't any fun and I am starting to dislike it. I installed AC at the same time I installed rF and probably have 4X the hours of driving in AC than rF2. It seems to just work out of the box compared to rF2..

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks much,
    Bob

RoboCAT10 likes this.
  2. green serpent

green serpent Registered

I can't help you with the other things, but as far as the ffb goes, I have a g27 and it's basically the way that the wheel is designed. When I got a "better" wheel (which subsequently broke after a month), the deadzone in the centre all but vanished. Now I'm looking to go DD wheel as I'm over the deadzone.

However, the way that I combat it and still get a lot of joy out of the G27, is that I turn the ffb WAY down (30 - 40%). There is a sweet spot where the deadzone in the middle kind of blends into the ffb on either side. The car feels pretty loose, but it generally feels much nicer to drive once you get used to it, it's better than having this ffb "hump" on either side of the deadzone in my opinion. You should be able to turn the wheel across the centre fast and have the wheel feel very smooth, for me that can only be achived with low ffb.

I had the white screen issue for a bit but it went away on it's own. rF2 can be a mixed bag but it really is the best imo, I hope you persist and find a solution, cheers.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  3. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

Long loading screens: I would start with a fresh profile to see if it fixes the problem.

4. Comante

Comante Registered

To mitigate the FFB issue ( that is not rf2 fault) increase minimum torque to maybe 15% or more, this should make dead zone less dead.
    For the slow load times... I suppose it happens only in rf2 while everything else is fast and smooth... can't really help but is not normal behaviour.

5. Filip

Filip Registered

This is strange, UI is slow but not that slow.
    If I am not mistaken someone had similar problem and solved it by creating new Windows user?!? Maybe worth a try.

You are not too sensitive, bright white screens are hurting most people's eyes.
    It seems it will not be changed.
    I believe the purpose is to make actual game graphics look better than they are because user is happy he was not blinded in the menus.

Also very strange. I would try to delete any wheel related saved settings if its possible and start from scratch as if doing first startup of the game.

This depends also on the cars you drive.
    But I have Logitech Wingman which should be worse wheel than yours and don't notice such problem.
    Also many people use G25/27 without a problem.
    Can you post you logitech profile settings?

6. RusRob

RusRob Registered

@green serpent
    Thanks for the info, I did reduce the FB and it did reduce the hard edge between the deadzone and where the FB starts so it is a little better.

@bobbie42
    I am not sure that would do much since this is a new install of rF on a brand new PC. It isn't but 2 weeks old and have only installed a couple of tracks and a couple of mods. I have mainly been using the stock rF2 tracks and mods. When I first had this issue I have not downloaded anything since I wanted to keep rF as stock as possible.

@Comante
    I will give that a try and see if it helps.

@Filip
    If I am not mistaken someone had similar problem and solved it by creating new Windows user?!? Maybe worth a try.

Like I said this PC is brand new bu if I can't figure this out I may just create new profiles in Windows and rF.

Logitech Settings are:

Overall Effects 100
    Spring Effect 100
    Damper 100

Enable Centering Spring (CHECKED ON)
    Report Conbined Prdals (CHECKED OFF)
    Degrees of Rotation 540

Allow Game to adjust Settings (CHECKED ON)

I have been playing around with these settings but that is what they were originally set as.
    I have reduced the first 3 to 75% which did calm the wheel down but didn't change the dead zone.

I also have rFactor 1 and AC installed and those both work as expected as far as the wheel goes, so this does seem to be a rF2 issue.

Out of curiosity, In rF1 the mods I run use the "Upgrade" option to increase the FFB strength. I notice right away if I didn't set it because the FFB is pretty weak. I only have my mods (Team Players) installed on rF and all of our mods have that option to adjust the FFB via Upgrades.

Is there the same option in rF2 to adjust the FFB strength on each car? I pretty much only run off-line so I am not too worried about mismatches.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Cheers,
    Bob

7. Dave^

Dave^ Registered

Set spring effect to zero and see what that feels like.

ETA - each cars ffb strength can be adjusted, while you're in the garage (before going on track), click the cog in the top right, click "Calibration" (thanks Lazza) at the bottom, then on the right hand side you'll find the setting for ffb.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

"Calibration" is the section you want, to adjust the vehicle specific multiplier (FFB).

But, making big changes to that will cause other issues, and it does sound like your experience in several areas is not normal, so hopefully a fresh profile (game and maybe windows) will set that right.

Dave^ likes this.
  9. RusRob

RusRob Registered

@Dave
    I have messed with that setting but it didn't seem to do anything for the Dead Zone but I still have some messing around to do. I am "sort of" resigning to the fact that because it is a G25 it isn't really supported in rFactor. They just grouped the G25 with the G29 and called it good.

@Lazza
    I am going to mess around with the settings a bit more but will probably do as you suggest and create new profiles. Seems odd I would have to do that since this whole setup is only a couple of weeks old. But Hey! I have seen stranger things with PC's.

Like I said I really want to like rF (Im even getting use to the UI). Unfortunately as of late if I want to drive I have been firing up AC... If I want to play with settings I fire up rF... :(

Thanks guys, I will give your suggestions a try and see. I think I will just go ahead and create new profiles in both Windows and rF and see if that is the issue.

Cheers,
    Bob

10. RusRob

RusRob Registered

Addition.... I have to say I have never had such fun driving since I got this new PC. Geforce RTX 2070 and this Viewsonic Elite running at 240 hz give me 200+ FPS with all details maxed out, even at race start with 20 or so cars!

In rF1 I am running over 400 FPS!

I am LOVING it.

Cheers,
    Bob

Adrian Redman likes this.
  11. RusRob

RusRob Registered

Good News!!!
    I removed my old profile in rF and created a new one. It appears that the "White Screen Of Blindness" is gone.
    I am now able to go from screen to screen in a flash with no waiting, This was my biggest problem so I am happy.

The steering issue is still there but turning down the FFB did seem to help smooth things out. It feels a bit like driving with power steering so I will continue to play around with the settings.

I suppose I should be happy that my old G25 is still alive. She has many miles on her. :)

Thanks for all your help guys.

Bob

green serpent likes this.
  12. Comante

Comante Registered

Your G25 setting are weird:
    You just need overall effect to 100 (I sometimes put 102 or 105 in my G27 to reduce low range numbness)
    The other effect must be 0
    The rotation is set to the maximum avaiable (it is not 900?) you can adjust it on a car by car basis (into RF2).
    Center spring is OFF.

13. David Turnbull

David Turnbull Registered

for G29 I use..

Overall effects - 100
    Spring effects - 0
    Damper effects - 0

Centre spring - checked and 10%

Ingame I use filter (smoothing) between 6-10 and Multi 100
    I also use 15.5% Steering Torque Minimum (this gets rid of deadzone, but yours might be less or more percentage)

14. RusRob

RusRob Registered

Thanks for the info on the FFB settings, I spent a couple of hours tinkering with them and noticed right away that it makes rF2 much better. Strange because I have always used the settings I posted in rF1 which work really well, although I always used RealFeel on all my mods.

The strange thing is it just destroyed the FFB in rF1 and AC so it seems I have to set up different profiles for each sim. But at least it is working much better in rF2 so I am well on my way to actually being able to test rF2 without the rattling and banging of the wheel. This makes me happy ;)

If this were not rFactor I probably would have just deleted it and moved on. I am still working on trying like it ;)

All that menu jumping yesterday and didn't once have the white screen delay problem so things are looking up.

Cheers,
    Bob

15. Comante

Comante Registered

RF2 FFB is something like REAL FEEL to the n. power. It need less less intrusion from the wheel drivers as possible.

16. Alex161

Alex161 Registered

maybe this information will help you. I ride a csw 2.5 fanatec. What I know from setting up ffb in rfactor2, you need to avoid clipping at the top, for which there is a so-called multiplier for a particular car. further, so that there are lower classes, to adjust this there is a parameter min force, I do not remember the exact name. Earlier, if I am not mistaken, this was adjusted through editing the game file, now from the game menu. Experiment with values up to 3. Not sure how this works on the g25, but the steering wheel should wobble a little. Then, IMHO remove the anti-aliasing, the value of 0. Since the steering wheel is already weak. Set the parameters of the spring and damper in the base driver to 0. These effects will be given to you by the physics engine of the game. It seems that all the main points

17. RusRob

RusRob Registered

Hey Guys, Just a bit of an update. I have my wheel working "OK" now after much tweaking and trying different things. I still have the slop in the center but it is now down to about 1" of play. What still really bothers me is when I drive a straight line the wheel feels like I am playing with some little kids game that puts fake noise and rattle to make it seem real.

What my big issue is that I am running rFactor1 and AC and both of those feel just fine so I know it isn't my wheel.

I have read multiple posts about this exact same thing and I am hearing the same answers on how to fix it. I can only assume that something in rFactor does not support the G25 and other "lesser" wheels. Unfortunately I am not in a position to go out and spend $1,000+ to buy a better wheel.

I have followed a lot of your suggestions and it is true, I can get rid of the Dead Zone by reducing the feedback to the point the entire range of feedback is so weak you don't notice the Dead Zone. But then it doesn't even feel like I am driving a race car

BTW, I only drive open wheel cars and I know this is a big issue with them.

The one thing I do not quite understand is there is a Dead Zone adjustment but it only makes the zone wider. I am not sure if there is a setting for that in the G25 Wheel.json but searching for Deadzone only comes up with 2 entries,
    One is Steering Torque Minumum# which I think is the setting in the menu "Deadzone"

Steering Sensitivity# which I think also is in the menus under "Sensitivity"

Is there somewhere I can find a detailed explanation of the .json files? (Player, Controller) At least more of an explanation than they give you in the file itself.

Thanks for any help and direction you could give me on this.

Cheers,
    Bob

P,S As I said, I have it now so it isn't nearly as bad but I have been finding in the last week or so I have been avoiding rFactor 2 because of this reason. I can tell rFactor2 really does have a much better tire model that AC which really makes me want to fix this little annoying issue.

18. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

upload a screen shot of your calibration screen. (from within rF2)

19. Brutten

Brutten Registered

Hello.
    If you have slop in the centre try to change the minimum steering torque. (Settings->Calibrate)

20. RusRob

RusRob Registered

Hey Dave,
    (In case you don't recognize my ID, this is Punko353 or "formally known as") :)
    Here is the screenshot, I have been playing around with the "Car Specific Multiplier" and the "Minimum Steering Torque" and this is just the last setting I used. This is also for the Spark F3 car (which is one of my fav's).

@ Brutten
    I have been messing around with that and it does seem to help but it seems I go from the wheel racking back and forth (just going to the car) to having that Dead Zone of about 1" of play (the best I have gotten it so far.

Calibration Screenshot.png