What T300 to choose?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Navigator, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Okay guys, I'm done messing, fiddling and soldering on my G27 and have a bit of budget for something new now.
    So I thought; lets go for a belt driven now.
    So; Thrustmaster it is.
    Now there's the next problem; which one?
    My thoughts:
    - only two pedals is okay as I don't use the clutch right now either
    - no shifter, but not a biggie for me
    - the looks of the wheel itself don't matter to me; in time, I want to go for an F1 style wheel anyway

So I found some wheels, all T300 types.
    As far as I found out; the base (and thus the FFB) is all the same: is that right?
    The most expensive one does have 3 pedals, but still no load-cell and thus not worth the extra money.......is that right?
    Last thought; it IS possible to use the G27 pedals and/or shifter if I may wish, right? Using a adapter, I know.

I came out on these three:

Thrustmaster T300 Ferarri GTE cost: 269
    Thrustmaster T300 cost: 313
    Thrustmaster T300 RS GT cost: 375

So; if I'm not mistaken; the 269 one........or am I missing something?
    Any advise is much appreciated!

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

As a temporary solution you can plug the G27 into its own USB port, just don't turn the power on. Then it won't calibrate (spin) and you can use the pedals and shifter. No adapter needed that way.

The Ferrari F1 rim isn't something to aim for, unless you're getting it cheap second hand and are happy to pull out that soldering iron again.

3. Comante

Comante Registered

Leo bodnar sell a cable that turn G27 pedal into a standalone USB device. Work flawlessly. With some more soldering and tweaking you can make the G27 brake into a loadcell . Lot of DIY projects on the web, and all it takes are 3 solders some bolts and creativity.

4. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks for your reply's both; very much appreciated!
    Knowing myself; it will be first Lazza's solution whilst waiting for the Bodnar cable that may take me a few weeks :)

Meanwhile; I found a guy selling the cheap version (that GTE thing, T300) new for 225 euro, so thats not to bad.
    Another guy, wants to sell me his F1 wheel; an original Thrustmaster one. 50 Euro, not to bad either.
    However; will that wheel work?
    I know they say all is compatible with Thrustmaster, but the F1 wheel has WAY more buttons on it and the GTE is a cheap version of the T300........

Ow, @Lazza one more question; if my new wheel is the Thrustmaster and the pedals/shifter are the G27's still......what do I do with drivers?
    Remove the Logitech wingman thingy?

5. instinkt

instinkt Registered

I had driving force gt, then g29 for long time and now thrustmaster

u need T-LCM pedals, I'm telling u - these pedals are the biggest upgrade u can do for reasonable price, much bigger than any wheel base
    I bought them 3 weeks ago and they are really great for that price

t300 base is noticeably smoother than g29 so it's worth but it isn't that big deal comparing to better pedals

standard thrustmaster pedals are worse than logitech ones, I had t3pa pro (these metal ones, supposedly the best from pre-loadcell offer but they are all the same inside) and they were awful - horrible deadzones, stupid calibration system, too soft springs, it was really hard to work out good brake mod (these standard ones were shitty) and they are on potentiometers (same like logitech ones, t-lcm have loadcell + hall effect sensors instead of potentiometers)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  6. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks for your input instinkt.
    So the pedals will be/remain the G27's; I'm sure :)
    Until I have the cash for the T-LCM ones......

7. instinkt

instinkt Registered

oh and every t300 base is the same

I have Ferrari GTE rim, it's almost the same like standard t300 one but little bit better because it has more buttons and they are better located - so this is for sure better deal than standard one, especially in lower price tag
    but to be honest I'm not impressed by that rim, I liked G29 more (beside that it was smaller by cm)
    that material (feels like hard rubber?) isn't the best without gloves in longer runs (I think Ferrari F1 rim is made with same material) - it heats up a little bit of hands temperature and not feeling that nice like that fake leather logitech rim

I would love to have tm open rim, but it is the same diameter like the standard one (28 cm) so it looks little bit like waste of cash for me - but maybe it isn't that waste because grips are made of suede, sadly it isn't 30 cm

there is version with Ferrari rim which looks really similar to that standard Ferrari GTE I have but it's made of alcantara and has 30 cm diameter - this one looks like the best one from thrustmaster offer (beside that from ts-pc which u can't buy as a standalone add-on - that ts-pc has rev lights, few more buttons and 32 diameter)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  8. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thank you for the info instinkt!

Meanwhile I found something as I was looking for steering wheels a bit more and found this; something you may like also:
    https://www.3drap.it/product/thrustmaster-t300-gte-alcantara-gt3-rim-kit-by-3drap/

As far as I can tell; they make "just a plate"........
    Well, we can do these things ourselves!
    A proper piece of aluminium, the handles are plastic; we make it wood for instance and you have to wrap it anyway with bike tape.
    Thats not hard. All set and done with the shape you like for under a 100 bucks easy!
    Once you get the hang of it; lets make a dozen more :)

I'm planning on doing that as I just got proper pictures of the F1 wheel for 50 bucks I was about to buy and it looked like my dog had a field day with it........
    In this case; I don't have to worry some buttons won't work as I keep the same ones.

instinkt likes this.
  9. ATQ

ATQ Registered

I don't know about you but I really dislike the toy sized steering wheels. That's one reason I switched from the Logitech G29 (the other reason was that it lost centering) and got a T300 Ferrari Alcantara Edition. The rim has a 30cm diameter which I prefer to the smaller ones (still small though). The grip and the alcantara is really nice too (a lot nicer than the Fanatec WRC rim I have now).

It's personal preference, of course, but something to consider.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Na, I still have the profiler, no problems.

11. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Got it! :)

It does feel good already, but still have to setup of course.
    And you guys were right; the pedals suck! I tried it, but its right back to my G27 set of pedals!

Toy sized wheels? Well, I happen to like it so there's no problem there for me.
    I didn't get the F1 wheel though; it was to beat up.

So, now I'm going to play around with it ;)
    Thank you all!!

12. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

@Navigator 2 things.....
    first T300 has the power supply unit inside the wheel so at summer you ll notice that you ll start loosing FFB detail after playing a few hours and wheel getting hotter
    SEcond . incase you wana save money for pedals i suggest Thrustmaster TLC-M pedals.
    So
    if you can push the limit i suggest fanatec csl elite as wheel which will cost you like 530 euros if you leave in Europe and you will have 6NM power and the power supply unit is seperate and NOT inside wheel
    thats all from me

13. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thank you for your reply mesfigas!
    530 euro is stretching it and 5 weeks of fight with the wife ;)
    But I bought the T300 yesterday already.
    I learned there should be fans in the housing because of what you said; the power adapter in there.......
    Well, haven't used it long on a row for now, but still haven't heard any fans blowing.

Anyway; the wheel is setup nicely now (had to stretch for the pedals and the wheel was against my belly) and I did the @Lazza trick!
    Works like a charm, thanks again for that Lazza!
    So, the old G27 is laying on the ground but pedals and shifter from those are connected and although I uninstalled the profiler (damn, I'm such an idiot) by mistake; it works.

So; now all together 31 buttons.......I'm having problems remembering where I assigned 2 buttons for, so this is going to be a challenge :)

What occurs to me on this wheel, is that people said there would be no more deadline in the center.
    Although that is very true; there is hardly ANY FFB round the center! So to me; it feels a bit dead.
    I would say I turn the power up, but when I make a high speed corner, the FFB maxes out already and so that's no real option.

I have to get used to it I think. The wheel is round and bigger than I'm used to.
    On my G27, I had the SRW from Simraceway mounted; a light, small and plastic wheel. Now a bigger, steel, heavier one; it's bound to feel different.
    The small oval wheel did the job for me for about 3 or 4 years; we bonded ;)

Now it's up to setting up all ffb, buttons and what not for every game.

Thanks guys; you're all very helpful and I appreciate that very much!!

DJCruicky likes this.
  14. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

@Navigator i suggest put the wheel Gain from software at 75%
    also speak with other T300 users
    congrats at new Wheel :)

15. instinkt

instinkt Registered

I think
    overall strength 75
    constant 100
    periodic 100
    spring 0
    damper 0
    is the best setting, but up to u and ur testing

and set some small minimal force in-game

16. jepeto

jepeto Registered

hi,
    i don t want to put my "grain de sel" but to say i had a T300RS and i was very badly to use it
    in january 2021 with my permission, i have bought the TS-XW and i can say it s really only happynest
    if you can do an effort on the price i recommand you sincerely because to find enjoy to drive in simulation ask to have a good wheel with good FFB...
    Regards

17. Haris1977

Haris1977 Registered

Just a question guys:

I do want to upgrade my g27 to a T300 rs gt version (the one with the 3 pedals) but i am a little concerned bout the included pedals.

There is always the possibility of tlcm pedals but - at least for beginning - should i keep my g27 pedals (i only have the 3drap brake mod installed) or use the rs gt ones? What do you think?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Technically they're very similar, but will feel different. So you'd have a break-in period if you switch, getting used to the different pedals. The TM have the brake mod which might be sort of similar to the brake mod you have (?), so the only benefit would be newer pots. That and no adapter needed (or having both wheels plugged in, in order to use the G27 pedals (and maybe shifter)).

19. Haris1977

Haris1977 Registered

Lazza thanks :) I asked because i really hate the plastic part of the thrustmaster pedals (i think the logitech pedals look way cooler - especially with the way i ve mounted them, look photo below, + the pedals are from metal)

IMG_2443.JPG

I really do not know how the thrustmaster conical (?) brake mod would feel though..But at least for beginning, i think i will have to live with them

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  20. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi guys,

Well, it's completed :)
    Just bought the F1 Ferrari add-on and installed it yesterday.
    So a complete new steering set and I'm happy as can be.
    [​IMG]

Always problems with pictures!
    You have to have a "URL" so I uploaded it to Mediafire as I already know Dropbox doesn't do that, but now this neither? Any tips?

Thanks for all your reply's and tips guys, I will keep that in mind. Already looking for a Thrustmaster forum for instance.

@Haris1977
    Why don't you go for the "cheap" version and save yourself some money for a T-LCM set?
    In my opinion (and why I bought the cheap one) you only pay about a 100 euro more for just one pedal extra and the wheel is different, not better(?) but you do have the same base in both cases, right?
    Lazza's way of keeping the G27 connected works like a charm btw.