[WIP] Apex Modding - 1970 Sportscar Championship

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by ApexModding, Oct 5, 2018.

1. MiguelVallejo

MiguelVallejo Registered

Love it..!
    2021.02.25-19.28.png

yoss, atomed and Raven80 like this.
  2. JamesB

JamesB Registered

You got the same as me, a stream of Ferrari's followed by a stream of Porsches! But these cars are really brilliant. It would be good if that could be a bit more balanced after the release of the latest version of the 917. I find the Porsche the easier of the two to drive (at the moment), the Ferrari is the faster but I feel like i am more on the edge with it, the 917 somehow feels more stable and predictable, quite possibly exactly as they should feel. If we get a few more of these cars to make a more varied grid (Note Matra's in tags etc) then WHAT an experience this will be, gives me goose bumps.

3. MiguelVallejo

MiguelVallejo Registered

As you say, at least in Le Mans, Ferraris are 1.5 / 2 seconds per lap faster than Porsche.
    A little more equality would be great, although I understand that it is difficult to square it
    The same thing happens with the Super GT mod (anda other mods) , you have first the Nissan, followed by all the Honda and finally the Lexus

4. JamesB

JamesB Registered

I think if it could be brought down to a second or slightly less and the skill level of the AI have greater variance then I think it would better. Where do you adjust the AI variance, is it in the Jason file?

5. MiguelVallejo

MiguelVallejo Registered

I have also raced at Norisring and the lap times are more similar, with both Porsche and Ferrari mixing in the top positions.
    I guess it depends the circuit you run

6. billyblaze

billyblaze Registered

The 1970 season from the perspective of the Gulf Porsche team.

7. JamesB

JamesB Registered

Any idea when the 917 might be updated? Not trying to push you and nothing I would try to hold you to obviously but I told a mate I would do a video on these for youtube showing the day night transition at Le Mans and some weather as well. Don't really want to do it until I have the new version of the 917. Also, looking at your list of cars in the tags for this thread just makes me hope......are you working on the Matra's and the Alfa? To have a grid of 5-6 different types would be absolutely spectacular,

8. yoss

yoss Registered

When ready , i promise you heard about the update

9. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Eric Rowland, Corti, yoss and 5 others like this.
  10. JamesB

JamesB Registered

Only just got the chance to read that, thanks for posting the link, an interesting read.

11. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

March 3 1971 Martini & Rossi Racing 917K driven by Elford / Larrousse wins 12 Hrs of Sebring.
    Martini-Sebring.jpg

atomed, pascom, Gasper Zupan and 11 others like this.
  12. JamesB

JamesB Registered

Been driving these again today, just wanted to say how much I enjoy all the "mechanical" noises when changing gear etc, really adds to the feeling of being there.

MiguelVallejo, pkelly and Art_Pereira like this.
  13. JamesB

JamesB Registered

Any news on the Porsche update, driving these at Longford yesterday, fantastic.

14. JamesB

JamesB Registered

Fair enough

15. JamesB

JamesB Registered

After a long session of races at Longford it seems that the two cars are swapped over in terms of performance on this CCT, the Porsche dominates the standings, interesting result, fantastic fun as usual. Quite a few accidents and 10 of the 30 car line up were DNF after the last 10 lap race but as i was nearer the front and did not see all of the carnage it made little difference. Again, thanks for these, I love them.

ApexModding likes this.
  16. Esa Ahonen

Esa Ahonen Registered

I too am missing instrument lights for night racing. So are you saying 917K didn't have instrument lighting?

In this video Derek Bell is speaking about driving the 917 at night and little after 1:50 he says: "...and the dials are there glowing...":

17. JamesB

JamesB Registered

Yes, they did have instrument lights, I have seen them, I used to work for a racing team years ago and saw these racing at night, but I know they can be difficult to implement in game. But I to would REALLY like to see them in these cars as I love doing day to night endurance stuff and I like to use the instruments, not overlays. So guys, if its possible, please could we have instrument lighting.

18. benborp

benborp Registered

At that particular point he is talking about the 956 and the 962. So not proof that the dials were lit in the 917.
    Driving the 917 on longer circuits and during longer events, getting the best out of the engine and fuel does mean keeping a close eye on the tach. The rev warning light comes on long past the point of optimum peak revs. Without dash lights I have to make a note of what objects I pass at the appropriate moment during daylight and then make sure I can see enough out of the side at night in order to time my gear shifts.

19. benborp

benborp Registered

51NdLTQ1+-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg I now need to find a copy - not just for documentary evidence.

20. JamesB

JamesB Registered

Well these were both designed as endurance cars, I have only seen the 917 in the flesh at night not he Ferrari but how would a driver be ABLE to do a night stint with no illuminated gauges in the years before pit telemetry monitoring? Need to watch all the 917 videos I can find now but the one I saw years ago at Donnington had illuminated gauges, whether they were original or not I don't know, that was in the late 80's.