Noob Questions 2

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Garnet, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Garnet

Garnet Registered

Testing content and:

1. Tried three cars and the steering was gimpy in all of them. I have a Thrustmaster T500 and the sim is recognizing it and when I turn the wheel on the Calibration page it is centered and my physical wheel hits the stops right at the top of the graphic slope . The three cars all had different wheel rotation range showing on the Calibration page (Brabham: 532*, Honda: 800*, Renault: 900*, numbers are approximate) which was greyed out so couldn't be adjusted and with all of them I had to turn my wheel 2* to get 1* of rotation in the 'in sim' wheel.

2. The controls on the Brabham were otherwise fine but the Honda and Renault were speed limited to 99 kpm/mph. How do I release that?

Sim seems pretty cool otherwise, looking forward to getting everything working.

Thank you.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Garnet

2. is the pit limiter being on (the Brabham doesn't have one). The game should be telling you which button to press when you're on the track with the pit limiter on, but check it in the assignments.

Number 1 is a little trickier - the steering wheel range is greyed out because you have "Vehicle set" ticked - and that's supposed to automatically adjust the range for the current car.

You'll probably find that if you untick that option, then adjust the wheel range manually, it won't actually change your wheel range - but maybe check that just to make sure. Do that check when sitting in the pits though, because if the discrepancy only happens at speed it might indicate you have Speed sensitivity above 0. (in which case, put it on 0)

If the game isn't able to adjust your wheel rotation properly there's a backup option called Software Rotation Lock - I list the steps here to get it working, but please don't reply to that thread - if you try it and have issues, explain what you've done and the issues here.

atomed likes this.
  3. Garnet

Garnet Registered

Just noticed my reply didn't post, anyway thanks very much for the info, will give it all a go and post back in case anyone else has these issues.

4. Garnet

Garnet Registered

Lazza, thanks for the instructions, tried but same problem persists. One thing I've noticed is when I modify the JSON file and save the file and open it I can see the changes. But if I reboot the computer or open the sim and check the JSON file they have reverted to:

1. "Steering Wheel Software Rotation": false
    2. "Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation from Driver”: true

Steering wheel rotation is at 900, same as my wheel.

Thanks very much for any help.

5. lagg

lagg Registered

Is it possible that you made the changes with rF2 running?
    rF2 has to be closed to change any file manually, because when it closes, overwrites these files and you loose the changes made manually.

6. Garnet

Garnet Registered

Thanks, but rF2 was off.

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Iagg is correct in that changes made via editing the txt/json file can be overwritten if ANY menu changes are made in-game. (just a warning for future users) There are several old threads about T-300's and 500's that explain much of the windows and in-game changes to make to get the most out of the Thrustmaster hardware. Remember when you calibrate the wheel and pedals, move the wheel left and right AS FAR AS IT CAN TRAVEL and then hold it there why you press MAX. Don't just juke left, turn it the full distance. Same for the pedals, hit min when no pressure on the pedals and max when you are holding it down. And keep most sliders near the center. iRacing users often want to slide all the way left or right for linear steering. Stay at, or near, the center.

atomed likes this.
  8. Garnet

Garnet Registered

davehenrie thanks, I'll have to check but I don't recall setting up the steering in the way you're describing in rF2. I know I've done it in iRacing, where you also have to turn the wheel lock to lock when calibrating. I've been staying off rF2 as after using it my steering needs resetting in ACC & iR. I'm not sure why one sim would effect the steering settings in other sims but it seems to repeatedly happen.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

rF2 tends to do this - it changes the steering lock in the driver, and never sets it back to what it was.

Using the software rotation lock also avoids this. The issue for you, obviously, is working out why your edits aren't holding. I know I've seen another person or two with the same thing happening, can't remember if they got resolved or what the cause was.

I've never had to manually set the axis extents the way Dave describes either, but he tends to throw that information out there because sometimes the axis can get screwed up in the game (or people click one of the 'set' buttons - maybe without even realising it - and then have no idea what's gone wrong) so it doesn't hurt to do if you're having strange problems.

I personally never load any wheel profiles in the game, and just edit the player\Controller.JSON file, and have never had any issues with the settings reverting. Changing something like Steering torque minimum to kind of 'random' values (0.03, 0.13, ...) and then seeing if it shows up in game is a good way to make sure you're editing the correct file, and that it's not somehow reverting.

For anything in the correct file to reset simply by rebooting suggests something very strange is going on, or rF2 is indeed still running in the background.