DYI loadcell setup

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Comante, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Comante

Comante Registered

I post this just to say how much I'm impressed by load cell sensitivity.
    I managed to stick a stick (lol) 50 Kg loadcell to my G27 pedals (already equipped with a bodnar cable). And despite still have to tune the spring/damper setup to enjoy it fully, I can already see how much night /day this is to me. Even with just the same spring as before, or even a softer one, braking input is much smoother and finer.
    It is incredible how much this impact the whole driving/car balance, not only the braking phase, because (probably) if you don't mess up balance with braking, you can insert better into the turn, this mean better mid turn, and a smoother corner exit.
    Now I have to find a proper rubber damper to shorten pedal travel, and learn to use it.
    In the end, if you still have a pedal set with potentiometers, throw it away.
    I didn't want to spend 300 bucks on a fanatec pedal set just to see that I still suck at driving, but now, as soon as this G27 pedal will eventually die, the replacement will be obvious.

2. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

Do you use all 50 kg force?
    Did the same, mine is only a 20 kg loadcell. I think its enough. Though I do have a 50 kg loadcell I can replace it with if needed.
    Is yours a "bar" loadcell or "Half-bridge" loadcell?
    IMG_20210209_101809.jpg

3. trichens

trichens Registered

Which load cell did you use? And an amplifier / interface card?

4. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

@trichens you can use
    • a INA122 or INA128,
    • a potmeter 1K
    • and a 104 pf capacitor.
    and then follow this guide:

5. Comante

Comante Registered

Hello, my cell is a full bridge, as it has 4 resistances in it, I'm far from using it full load, but have not measured it, now I'm experimenting with pedal travel and bumpstop to find something that work for me . For the electronic, despite every amplifier would work, I used a Leo Bodnar one. The shape of the cell is similar to that in the video, just took some try to find the correct wiring order, then to realize that the inverted signal is not a problem in RF2, you just need to reassign the axis.

6. Yigit Yusuf Mutlu

Yigit Yusuf Mutlu Registered

These are my moded logitech pedals, using derek speare 12bit board with loadcell amp

i will attach bass shaker to the pedals, in picture 4 i circled where to put shaker

Attached Files: