Released March 2021 rFactor 2 Build Release

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Had the same and did the same - waited for minutes but nothing. Don`t know what happened but neither know what I skipped. Whenever I launch Steam I get a Update for RF2 for just a second - don`t know whats that.

2. MASERASER

MASERASER Registered

This complaint goes directly to studio397 and to Paul Jeffrey.
    I have been observing behavior on rf2 for some time that I don't like at all, and I can't believe it's just me. I was initially unable to determine the cause and spent a long time tweaking every conceivable setting until I identified the actual cause.

When you had introduced the release candidate at that time, in order to be able to test your updates and their changes independently, you also turned off the function of the sheet metal damages, dents, scratches and scrapes on the car bodies.

This feature has now been added back for some time.
    I could see that without this function RF2 ran smoothly, more evenly fast and without any stuttering. Now that the body damage feature has been added back in, there are significant stutters or even frees at the moment of contact in any accident. When multiple vehicles cause a pileup, it seems that the image freezes briefly releases and then stutters again with the next minor bump. Regardless of whether I'm involved in the scene or whether I'm driving far in front or behind the opponents, so I don't have a direct graphic view of the accidents, these violent stutters occur while driving. Sometimes it seems to me that the stutters or frees still come fractions of a second before the actual graphical touch when I trigger them myself.
    I have tried several car -mods, both RF2 own and custom made that do not have this sheet metal damage feature and no matter what accidents occur, there are no stutters. RF2 runs super smooth and super fast.
    This negative effect is especially noticeable with the GT3 cars.
    I essentially drive offline with AI opponents. There is no shortcoming regarding the graphics unit, RTX3090, 144Hz-21:9 monitor, I9 10980XE, v-sync, g-sync. off, All power saving functions off, graphics all Ultra set, frames are plentiful in every situation and mostly triple digit high. Iam still driving with the releas candidate!
    I am asking for help!
    I also look forward to any support from the community!

DJCruicky and Magus like this.
  3. Magus

Magus Registered

Huh, interesting. I noticed this too with spikes in GPU frametime using VR, but this could be a separate variable effecting VR & monitor usage and not just down to GPU drivers & monitoring software in VR:

4. MASERASER

MASERASER Registered

Thank you for the first response.
    I hope that Studio397 will also comment on this and come up with a solution.
    I just did some more runs with the GTE cars. They are not as extreme as the GT3 cars. However, the flaw is the same.

I then tested the brand new 2018x StockCar. This one doesn't show any damage, scuffs or dings in collisions, so I guess it's equipped without that feature.

Of course, it ran with it absolutely without stutters and frees. That's when you realize how much fun RF2 can be again.

Cars with this damage function can have a negative effect on almost rhythmic stuttering over the course of the entire race track, or can be almost undriveable, because you're just waiting for the next stutterer. Le Mans, Targa Florio, Isle of man are just a few examples where it is extremely noticeable.

The whole problem is also already noticeable during the start phase. If you stop and look behind at the opponents behind you, they jerk past you.

Studio397 has something to sort out there. Maybe all the stuttering problems that we've heard about lately and perhaps blamed on poor VR compatibility will be over in one fell swoop if this damage function is corrected accordingly.

I would like to ask the community to test and verify this as well, since we all have different machines and equipment.
    Tanks for further tips

5. MASERASER

MASERASER Registered

By the way, that is no driver software issue, because i had same results with my former 1080TI and these problems have existed for a very long time and I have tried tons of drivers in the meantime without any SUCCESS.

6. slimsymeat

slimsymeat Registered

I don't have this problem and never have had this problem. Weird. My system specs are 9900K @5ghz, 16GB ram and just swopped 2080ti for 3080. Running win10 nothing different. I've recently had a replay issue with not so smooth replays when in watch mode with ui, which is supposed to be fixed which isn't but honestly can't be arsed with complaining about that. Too many other things like broken AI etc..

7. Flipo

Flipo Registered

How can I know what id build I have installed in dedicated??

8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Right click on rFactor 2 in the Steam library. Choose Properties, then UPDATES. That will display the build #. Next check which UI you are using by clicking on the BETA tab. Choosing NONE gives you the most stable recent release. The Release Candidate option provides the latest updates for user testing. (curiously, I just loaded Steam and can ONLY CHOOSE the NONE option.) Will try again later, have to leave.

Flipo likes this.
  9. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Navigate to ...rf2server/steamapps folder and open appmanifest_400300.acf with your favourite text editor and on line 12 you will see the build ID

10. Flipo

Flipo Registered

Thanks for the reply.
    I already knew it was there, although I thought I was wrong because the numbers don't match after I updated it.
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/march-2021-rfactor-2-build-release.69113/page-5
    Latest Release Candidate 3 (Hotfix)
    Client 6438124
    Dedicated 6438127
    But in my appmanifest_400300.acf this num.
    "buildid" "6211988"
    https://ibb.co/tqMxvWD
    [​IMG]

11. Goanna

Goanna Registered

@Flipo 6211988 is the latest "public" buildid, what command are you using to update the server? This is what I'm using for latest RC server;
    Code:
    steamcmd +login anonymous +force_install_dir ../SteamrF2-RC +app_update 400300 -beta release-candidate validate +quit
    My RC server is in C:\SteamrF2-RC, normal one is in C:\steamrf2-public

Flipo likes this.
  12. Flipo

Flipo Registered

Thanks, it works.
    I was using this command:
    Code:
    steamcmd +login anonymous +force_install_dir ../rf2_f1 +app_update 400300 validate +quit
    C:\Racing\rf2_f1
    Code:
    steamcmd +login anonymous +force_install_dir ../rf2_f1 +app_update 400300 -beta release-candidate validate +quit
    Now I have used yours and if I see the correct build: "buildid" "6438127"
    I didn't know what to add to the command this new: -beta release-candidate
    Thanks again

13. Goanna

Goanna Registered

No problemo, glad you got it sorted.

Flipo likes this.
  14. Magus

Magus Registered

@MASERASER @slimsymeat
    Do either you have the W10 October 2010 update installed?

I have uninstalled this and have ran 2 x GTE races at spa with the C8 without and issues and GPU is being utilised beyond the 60%. I need to do some more testing but I've had favourable results so far without this update installed. I also uninstalled all the updates I could after this period too.

15. MASERASER

MASERASER Registered

Magus Thank you for your comment. I have been through all the WIN10 updates so far without skipping a single one. My current WIN is WIN10Pro 20H2 build 19042.906. I know that WIN is always a risk, especially since it updates very regularly and in relatively short intervals. However, I stand on the point of view that a base operating system that must be used for everything, can no longer be updated so that another software with its bugs to at least continue to work. Because also RF2 needs a base and that is now times, mostly WIN. Surely, to remain fair also RF2 can insist on a faultless basis like WIN, that to at least RF2" itself is not hindered in its functions. I know the error described by me with the sheet metal damage function now, as long as it exists. I just always searched and adjusted in other places and spent a lot of money to fix obvious shortcomings. On the other hand, in the last Corona year my hardware has been replaced a total of several times. All parameters have improved, only this function with its quirks has remained. When this function was temporarily disabled in the release candidate, I attributed the incredible increase in frames or general speed and smoothness to my new RTX 3090. I had only discovered through much testing with the RTX 3090 along the way that this damage model didn't work at all, so was turned off when I hit somewhere. My car didn't get any more dents and scratches and I started to get nervous what was going on again. When it was officially announced that it would be turned on again with the next update, I was happy because another realism effect was back. The joy only lasted a few days. You are right with your comment. I always get a bad feeling when there is a new WIN update. But decisions have to be made and I want to look forward, because these shortcomings will also be turned off. The reason I insist on this damage model shortcoming so much is because both ISI and Studio397 Cars work almost insanely fast without it, and most importantly, without stutters. Even if I am accused of insufficient hardware or lack of necessary settings, Studio 397 would have the opportunity to help me now and should also take its responsibility in support. I've been with RF2 from day one and actually through the many changes to RF2, never got out of a beta status as you can imagine. But this bug is starting to cost me nerves after costing me a lot of money. The good thing is the new hardware. WIN has also been reinstalled as well as RF2 in the meantime! Please test all GTE, GT3 Cars against e.g. ISI`s F1 2012, the new 2018x StockCar or many other good Cars from Studio397, without fender bender model. You will notice how classy smooth RF2 can run. You and I can not be the only ones who have problems of this kind! I very much welcome your initiative to give me more food for thought and hope that Sudio397 has a solution ready for the good of all!!!
    Again, my hardware: I9 10980XE, 32 GB RAM 3600, NVME-SSD 1TB, RTX3090, ROG_RAMPAGE_VI_EXTREME ENCORE, Corsair HI 1200, CPU water cooling. <br></div>

16. MASERASER

MASERASER Registered

Magus perhaps this is also important: SIMUCUBE 2 PRO, Heusingveldt Sprint Pedals, Many steering wheels from Ascher, Cube Controls, etc..

Magus likes this.
  17. Magus

Magus Registered

I think there are probably a very few of us running rF2 with the new 30xx cards, and maybe that with a combination of W10, i9, & Asus motherboards (I have Maximus XI Formula), it's kind of hit and miss with what effects each driver, W10, & game update has on the overall experience. If it is a simple case of W10 update & .NET Framework that is causing the stutters, then in all honesty, I am happy to roll back as the October W10 update really didn't add anything to my W10 experience.

Don't get me wrong, I am in absolute agreement that there should be an option of Damage ON/OFF, DAMAGE VISIBLE ON/OFF.

Furthermore, I know there are complaints that the Nvidia drivers are not playing well in VR causing stutters, now I am wondering how many of those people still experiencing the stutters after the 'fix' by Nvidia are running the W10 October update?

18. slimsymeat

slimsymeat Registered

If I press R, super smooth replay, go to watch from the UI then stutters. I don't have any other stutters. Ran 40 cars at Sebring last night and apart from the AI killing each other and me it was smooth. I run single screen not VR also.

19. lagg

lagg Registered

I don't understand this.
    Whan you press R, you are in the UI, no?
    When stutters and when no?

20. Filip

Filip Registered

No, R is instant replay.