Any way to lock a spectator camera?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by RealGT, Mar 24, 2021.

1. RealGT

RealGT Registered

Once you hit U and then use the mouse or keyboard buttons you can manipulate a camera. But you cannot lock it so you can use the mouse again. Is there anyway to create saved locked camera views when in spectator or driving mode? Seems like a huge oversight.

Thanks

2. RealGT

RealGT Registered

OK guess not, where are the cam files located? Can you achieve this by making a custom cam file for each car? Can you make three different cameras for three different monitors?

Thanks

3. RealGT

RealGT Registered

Can anyone chime in here? Please.
    A. is there a way to lock a camera once you click U to edit it's position so it is in the same position next time you load the car?
    B. in spectator mode is there a way to assign a different view to each screen in a 3 screen setup?

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I believe no and no. I'm not completely sure, hence not answering previously...

RealGT likes this.
  5. RealGT

RealGT Registered

How about creating a custom cam file? I know it won't work online. Are there tutorials for doing this? I've been searching all day. Thanks

6. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

You would have to un-pack the track, you can search for rfactor cam editor tutorials to learn about the editor.

RealGT likes this.
  7. RealGT

RealGT Registered

Thanks I unpacked a car and found the cam file. I edited the coordinates in notepad but I don't see in any tutorials or videos how to put that back.

Oh wait, the track? I'm unpacking the cars. Guess that's wrong as I noticed some cats don't have cam files.

Need to learn how to repack. An I looking for a particular cam file?

8. Coutie

Well, are you trying to do a trackside camera or a camera attached to a car?

Here's a packaging tutorial from ISI:

9. RealGT

RealGT Registered

cockpit finished.jpg cockpit 1.jpg cockpit mirrors.jpg I'm looking to replicate the rear view mirrors, so basically a camera attached to the car looking backwards out the rear of the car where the interior rear view mirror would be and the mirror on each door. I'm running a second PC specifically for this purpose with a dedicated server. So far I've got that running, I can log onto the server on the same pc, so that's working.

The part that I need is that when I edit the camera it just resets itself when you hit the U key. I need to create a camera that I can have 100% of the time facing backwards for the rear view for all three mirrors to these monitors that are mounted on my cockpit specifically for this purpose.

Each one of those mirrors is an LCD that I will feed the rear view too to increase immersion in the cockpit.

Thanks

Akela_DE and Goanna like this.
  10. Coutie

There's information here about car cameras:
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/how-to-create-cameras.58569/

RealGT likes this.
  11. RealGT

RealGT Registered

I see it says "dev" mode. I've never used dev mode. I play in single player right now. Will these cameras persist in single player? When I launch dev mode it is in the old UI that I have no idea how to navigate. Can you update dev mode to the new UI? Thanks

12. Coutie

If you re-pack the cars, then yes, they will persist. I would imagine the dev mode UI won't be changed, seeing as there's not really much you do in it besides go to a track.

RealGT likes this.
  13. Goanna

Goanna Registered

RealGT likes this.
  14. RealGT

RealGT Registered

Screenshot_20210325-195336.png
    Thanks my friend. I'm so close I just need to replicate all these settings we went over and the mirrors are the final piece.

Here is a render of the final design.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021