How to setup auto download on dedicated server?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by JohnW63, Mar 21, 2021.

1. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

I've been hosting rFactor events since it came out, but because it was faster to just provide links to the files people needed and let them install them, I turned off the autodownload feature many years ago. I have had a few requests to enable it, but I no longer recall how to do so. I thought it was a change in creating the VMOD on the server, but that didn't work ( I thought it was checking the boxes on the left had side of the final screen. Prior to posting this, I read a few threads that indicated that the auto download may have issues with the new UI.

So, how do I go about allowing files to be downloaded at join and what do I have to look out for in the new AI?

2. Vance Le Garde

Vance Le Garde Registered

"Enable Autodownloads":false,

in the multiplayer file in the profile folder, toggle from "true" or "false"

3. Goanna

Goanna Registered

In addition to what @vancstar said, put the rfcmp/s for the content in the server’s packages folder.

As a “general rule of thumb” you should never check those boxes on the LHS of the packaging screen.

Vance Le Garde likes this.
  4. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

Good to know. It made the mod file rather large.

So, why do they have check boxes if you should never check them?

5. Goanna

Goanna Registered

If you check them then the vmod and content are downloaded whether the client has them installed or not, whereas if not checked then only the vmod is downloaded if the client has the content. I suppose there is a reason or circumstance where you would check them, but off the top of my head can’t think of one.