Advice: Track seperates between sections

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by PatientRF2fan, Mar 14, 2021.

1. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

I have traced the Milwaukee mesh sections with line (snap vert) and recreated a very consistent 1.5m pattern.
    When I add noise in certain sections the track sections separate a bit from each other (not the grass, i will redo that)

I can only weld verts on attached objects. Should I attach them all into one weld then create the bumps and dips etc?

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Oh the memories, IndyCar Racing 1 had way too much downforce. you could run the oval with just the tiniest of throttle lift. (Using a Thrustmaster Flight stick with a 20lb spring) THEN ICR2 arrived and we had to relearn every nuance of driving due to a more accurate downforce & tire grip. looking forward to your project

3. Mitch9

Mitch9 Registered

I´m guessing you are using max; if there´s a vertex group like function you could make one group out of the outer vertices and another group with the inner vertices then apply the noise only to the inner vertices. And yes, its probably best to join all the track sections if you value your time.

4. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

yes, max 2021. thanks so much. I have selected verts in the middle and stay away from the edge when possible. I have grouped objects together (road bridge wall and fence to build a hump-belle island) but never vert groups.

So, if i gather correctly
    -join the whole track weld
    -create your bumps and dips etc
    -spline groove mapping when all together
    -detach track down to pieces below 300meters when completed

Correct??

5. Mitch9

Mitch9 Registered

I´ve never done a groove in rf2 so don´t take my word for it but I´m guessing you could do that either with a joined or split road
    So yeah, if you apply the noise to the inner verts once its all joined together, there shouldn´t be any gaps inside the track and between the track and the outer surfaces.
    If you need to do this multiple times for testing, maybe you could add each track section to its own vertex group so you could split them appart more quickly... idk the faster way to do it in max though, sorry