Are mirrors just perma bugged?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by shovas, Mar 10, 2021.

1. shovas

shovas Registered

I asked for a fix previously and I thought I had a fix but it's not. Even on brand new purchased dlc cars the mirrors are completely out of whack. It's even to the point where the maximum adjustments are still out of alignment.

I can't believe this exists on paid dlc?

I must be wrong? There must be a fix here?

Or are they really, mind-blowingly, perma bugged?

2. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I wish I had an answer for this. I've tried altering the mirror parameters manually following guidance from other users but, those changes never to seem to stick nor work with all cars.

3. shovas

shovas Registered

So frustrating but that's what I thought.

4. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Can you show a picture of what you're talking about?

5. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

Try this, it works for me, since using this setting I have never had to adjust the mirrors for any car.

In the graphics section of the player json file, set this line to 0.

"Moving Rearview":0,
    "Moving Rearview#":"Whether mirrors respond to head movement in cockpit (0=none, 1=position-only, 2=FOV-only, 3=both) - add 4 if you want to IGNORE head-tracking movement",

With this set to 0 setting there should never be a need to adjust the mirrors again for any car. I really think this should be the default setting.

shovas and DJCruicky like this.
  6. shovas

shovas Registered

I think I got it now. I went through each Moving Rearview mode and I guess I just discovered that I need extreme +/- 200 adjustments on each car so I thought mirrors were just broken.

Why default positions just aren't normal work-for-everybody is beyond me.

I tried Moving Rearview zero and found I was adjusting everything still.

7. shovas

shovas Registered

To this day I jump in cars when I come back to rF2 and the mirrors are all out of adjustment. It drives me crazy.

I've had "Moving Rearview":0 set for age and it doesn't appear to help.

8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

?

9. shovas

shovas Registered

"With this set to 0 setting there should never be a need to adjust the mirrors again for any car. I really think this should be the default setting."

I always have to adjust

10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Just to clarify, if you choose one car from a list, only the car you drive 'remembers' the mirror positioning. If, for example. You drive a BMW M4 #3 and adjust the mirrors. The next time you hop into the #3 Bmw, the mirrors should still be set per your last session. But if you choose another BMW M4, say #7, then you have to reset the mirrors for that car as well. rF2 only remembers the settings for individual cars that you have driven. Not the entire group of BMW M4 cars. (that is where @redapg's site comes in handy.)

shovas and DanRZ like this.
  11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The point of the above setting is that adjusting the seat position doesn't change the mirror alignment. In theory this means you should rarely have to adjust the mirrors, as often it's thrown out when you adjust the seat position. But of course some cars just don't look right from the outset...

shovas likes this.
  12. shovas

shovas Registered

Everybody deals with this? The mirrors are wildly off in every car and every time you pick a new car everyone is adjusting mirrors?

I'm rather shocked people put up with that.

13. Kahel

Kahel Registered

2 years since your fisrt post... and you are still 'putting up with it' yourself...
    (Only teasing you a little... I agree with what you say... but that's just how people are, they 'put up with' a lot... until a breaking point. (or alternative))

14. redapg

redapg Registered

It's a Simulation, so you have to do what you also do in Reality, when you drive a new Car.

Sorry, i couldn't resist. :)

15. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Yeah, boggles the mind but, every sim has its own issues to deal with.
    It wouldn't be so problematic if the mirrors didn't revert to the default position with every game update. It can be a disincentive for being on the RC version.

16. shovas

shovas Registered

Mirror Monkey Simulator 2023

17. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

There has been such a lonnnnng list of items that users have wanted fixed, it has become easy to overlook just what has and has not been addressed. The past 18 months have seen more fixes and improvements than the last 8 years, but there will always be something that is not looked at. I would suspect the time needed to re-write the mirror code might be one of the limiting factors as to why it has never been attempted. When you start working on something that is in every car, just the testing alone would be a daunting task. Just look at the slooooooowwww rollout of the new sound system. It takes....a hellava lot of time, sadly.