Getting error "Error trying to install mod, please try manual installation"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RealGT, Mar 10, 2021.

1. RealGT

RealGT Registered

Error trying to install mod, please try manual installation.

It's been a long and informative journey and I can now start the client on the same PC as the dedicated server with regularity and I can see the server in my favorites. But getting the error above after I updated the dedicated server using the following command

steamcmd +login anonymous +force_install_dir ../SteamrF2-Current +app_update 400300 validate +quit

What does this error mean and how do I fix it?

Thanks!

2. Goanna

Goanna Registered

You generally get that error when joining a server and you don’t have the content/same version of the content, and the server doesn’t have that content in it’s Packages folder for you to be able to download it. If they are workshop/paid items then I’m guessing there’s been an update and that the server doesn’t have the updated version.

Easy way to check is on server/installed folder, go to the vehicle folder and find the car, under it should be folders like 1.01 or for paid stuff 1.12 and 1.13, cross reference that with your game installed folders and see if they’re the same, do the same for locations. If the server numbers are lower than the game ones, you’ll need to update the car or track(whichever is the one needing updating) on the server.
    Easy peasy :)

RealGT likes this.
  3. RealGT

RealGT Registered

Ahhhhhh ok, so don't update the server or client. Update the cats and tracks? Can I copy the folders containing the cars?

4. Goanna

Goanna Registered

You can, I wouldn’t...better to grab the rfcmp files from ...steam/steamapps/workshop/content/365960 folders and put in the server’s Packages folder, then install using mod manager.

RealGT likes this.
  5. redapg

redapg Registered

@RealGT And may i add, that you don't forget to also update the vmod File(s) that the Server uses, if they use Content that was updated.

RealGT likes this.
  6. RealGT

RealGT Registered

Sorry redapg, can you refresh my memory. vmod? And location? I'm still not sure how the content got out of sync, I haven't changed or downloaded any content. Only updated the server using the command line Goanna provided a few weeks ago. Will I need to do this every time I update?

Thanks again

7. redapg

redapg Registered

Sorry for the Term "vmod".
    You can also call it "Series" or "Race Event".
    It is the rfmod File that you create with the MAS Tool and that contains the Info about the Content that your Server uses and that you select on the first Screen, when you start the Server (Screenshot).
    dedi-series-select.jpg

It normally is stored in the Packages Folder.
    When you get an Update of a Component that is used by a vmod, the vmod also has to be updated/replaced, to get it working.
    That is all what i wanted to say. :)

RealGT likes this.
  8. RealGT

RealGT Registered

Awesome, will try when I get home. Thanks