Determine fRactor version installed in new UI?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JohnW63, Mar 8, 2021.

1. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

When I launch rF2 I see updates installed, but it is not clear if they are updates to the sim vs. updates to content. Since I have to keep our league server up to the same version as the drivers have on their PCs I really need to know when I need to hope on the server and update that as well. How do I find my rF2 version on the local PC?

2. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Navigate to ...steam/steamapps and you will see a file called appmanifest_365960.acf. Open it with your favourite text editor and on line 12 you’ll see the “buildid” line with the current build number.

3. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

Thanks. Isn't that a bit removed from the user interface, when it used to be right on the screens before?

My build ID is "6211987"

What's on my server is 1.1124 . I don't see a direct relationship.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There isn't one. The next 6 builds might all be compatible for online play, so will be 1124, despite having their own build IDs.

5. Goanna

Goanna Registered

You can determine what build your server is on (I'm assuming it's a SteamCMD server) by navigating to ...Server root folder\steamapps and you'll see appmanifest_400300.acf. Open and look on line 12 for it's builid.
    These couple of links may help keeping an eye on what buildid's are (the "Public" one is equivalent to None in the betas tab in steam);
    For clients => https://steamdb.info/app/365960/depots/
    For Servers => https://steamdb.info/app/400300/depots/
    I reckon as long as the client and server are on their respective builid's for the "Public" branch, you can't go too far wrong.

6. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

On the server I can just see the version on the screen when the event is up and running. I want to find the same number on the PC to make sure all is the same. If I have to go looking for the buildid on both, that is not nearly as convenient and more time consuming. I could just as easily run the update batch file I have and see if it finds anything. This seems a step backwards from the previous UI. How hard could it be to have it shown on one of the UI screens for quick reference?