G29 steering problem

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by DarkRacer, Mar 7, 2021.

1. DarkRacer

DarkRacer Registered

So i turn my wheel about 90 degrees irl and it only moves it about 30 degrees in the sim. Could someone help?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Most common reason is accidentally activating steering help. It's F1, so easy to press when going for Esc to exit the car (and then because you've exited the car, you don't see that it's on). Check the difficulty menu or jump in the car and press F1 until it says it's off.

If that is the reason, go into where you assign the controls, click on Steering Help, and press Esc to unassign it. Then you can't make the same mistake again.

3. DarkRacer

DarkRacer Registered

It's off and no luck, the steering is still not being accurately depicted in the sim

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ok, then tell specifically which car it's happening with, and what settings you're running (logitech profile, in-game settings).

5. DarkRacer

DarkRacer Registered

its happening in all my cars, here are my Logitech and in game settings [​IMG][​IMG]

6. David Short

David Short Registered

In your rF2 game settings right side of screen under Steering click on Vehicle set and change the x there now to a check mark. This sets the steering rotation of your wheel to match the rF2 car you're driving. Check on every car you drive that this setting has a check mark and every car in game will match your actual wheel input.

7. DarkRacer

DarkRacer Registered

I've actually tried this but unfortunately to no avail.

8. David Short

David Short Registered

Check in your logitech profile settings to see if there is something called " Allow game to adjust force settings" make sure that has a check mark beside it (turned on) and try again with the Vehicle set check marked.

@Lazza also wrote this solution in an different older thread should most likely solve your problem
    1. Go to your wheel configuration software, or the control panel -> controllers -> your wheel -> properties, and set the lock to its maximum value (you haven't said what your wheel is, but this is often 900 degrees).
    2. In your rF2 folder, go to UserData\player\ and open up the Controller.JSON file*
    3. Find "Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation Default” and set it to the same number of degrees as you set in step 1.
    4. Find “Steering Wheel Software Rotation" and set it to true.
    5. Find “Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation from Driver” and set it to false.
    6. Consider changing “Steering Wheel Bump Stop Harshness” to a higher value, like 50, so you can feel it better (the 'stop').
    Be sure to check which option you're changing - they all look quite similar so it's easy to change the wrong ones.

*If you originally detected your wheel, or loaded a profile, and now you just load the game and play and sometimes make changes to the Controller.JSON, this will work fine. If you change wheels/controllers and detect/load different profiles each time, save those profiles to your own custom-named files and make the above changes to those files. Then when you load the profile those settings will already be there.

If the above doesn't work still, please give more info (wheel type especially), and show a screenshot of the relevant part of your controller.JSON file. Also note the above regarding the profiles and files; try changing another obvious parameter in your controller.JSON to check that you're editing the right one.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  9. DarkRacer

DarkRacer Registered

where can I check the Logitech profile settings? i don't see that anywhere

10. David Short

David Short Registered

I don't have the G29 but it think based on your screen shot above for the G29 in the top right corner under the close/minimize buttons there is a white gear(circular) icon. That should be your "Settings" click on that icon and it should take you into the settings tabs click on G29(your wheel) and there should be the "Allow game to adjust force settings" check that box. If you don't find it look through all tabs in the "Settings" section should be there somewhere. If you still can't find it check out some Youtube videos on setting up your wheel as my ability to help has run out.
    Cheers

11. DarkRacer

DarkRacer Registered

Thank you david and lazza for both of your time, thanks to you guys I have this issue. Thanks. Now if you'll excuse me I got a C8R to race :D

Lazza and David Short like this.