Announcement | Motorsport Games Enters Into Agreement to Acquire rFactor 2 and Developer Studio 397

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

People know nothing. Having an opinion is okay, but repeating it a hundred times even though you know nothing, is just too funny.

This take over can go 3 ways, or it goes to shit, or it is the best thing ever, or things will stay the same. Last take over went right as well, so I don't see doomsday like some people here

2. Balazs Magyar

Balazs Magyar Registered

So there is 66% of hope. Come on people, It's not that bad ;)

lagg and Remco Majoor like this.
  3. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Just wanted to say sorry for the vent yesterday. I just couldn't handle the posts of one person, with two forum-accounts, that is only part of the community for around a year, flooding this topic with all the possible drama. It just got the best of me.

Have a nice Friday guys!

Elcid43, r00b Driver, dazzer and 2 others like this.
  4. Germano Cervini

Germano Cervini Registered

as democracy exists, I have the right to say what I think, if what I say you do not want to hear, because it is the truth for me, change the forum or not read my comments, who do you think you are GOD ?, give me the please change forum, freedom of expression still exists here, I can also be wrong, even if I am wrong, but I say what I think, greetings immature child!

5. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

And we have the right to react to that. We are allowed to express our displeasure about the way you keep spamming here with negativity. It's not the truth, also not for you. It's only the truth when it actually happens.

Comante, R.Noctua, Uff and 3 others like this.
  6. Germano Cervini

Germano Cervini Registered

this is what I think, this will not happen, and I hope it will not happen, but it is what I perceive from the information I have available, if you want I tell you that RF2 launched a wonderful future and will become better than Iracing, I hope so , but there are no conditions and here I close!

7. Sure - but you need to chill with the name calling.

andrea_274, RNeves, mantasisg and 2 others like this.
  8. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

By the way, pursue of understanding what others mean or even what they actually say is also part of democracy.

Person in question seems not to have it, so reasons to take his thoughts seriously are diminishing.

I wonder how long we will need to wait to actually experience a possible positive, neutral or negative impact to rf2 of the deal with MG.

And I saw that LeMans got slightly postponed, perhaps virtual one could be rather big again ?

shovas, Art_Pereira and Remco Majoor like this.
  9. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

Sheesh, talk about a doomsday club. Starting to wonder whether QAnon have infiltrated....:rolleyes::p

10. Art_Pereira

Art_Pereira Registered

There are always other carsims at hand in case somebody doesn´t like rF2.

nonamenow likes this.
  11. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

This is an interesting point. I remember playing GTR2 and NR2003 on keyboard/joystick and even on easier levels, using assists they were more tiring than the arcade games nowadays.
    They'll have to go beyond assists if he wants to acheive that. And this company is on the stock market, the moment the shareholders decide they need more profit (I think people are expecting too much from esports), costs will be cut, it won't be from the "novice players" area. Anyone concerned about it has their fair reasons to do it.
    Ofc repeating the same thing and debating about it won't change anything. The other side is equaly annoying btw.
    We can only wait and see.

stonec, Rui Santos and B. Gant like this.
  12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sorry to go back a few pages, but just to give info and an opinion on this aspect:

The tyres run at 2400Hz. Actually the whole suspension + tyres runs at 2400Hz. The nature of a single system (entire vehicle) being what it is I don't know what scope there is to split that into multiple threads; it seems unlikely each 0.000417s loop is completed and evaluated independently because of windows timing limitations, so I'd guess that perhaps 6 loops are completed at at time (400Hz being easier to manage timing wise).

From a practical point of view I think 2400Hz is 'good enough', and the player won't notice much in the way of benefits if it were to be increased. There is certainly a LOT of much lower-hanging fruit in terms of actual features - be that physics-related (tread vs wet track, dynamic track temperature affecting tyres, rubber and worn aggregate [reliably] affecting wet grip, some proper graining parameters, and many more) or gameplay related (limited tyre sets, better safety car modes, AI behaviour, and many others).

For me this is similar to FFB rates potentially going sky-high; very quickly you reach a point of diminishing returns, in terms of simulation accuracy or human perception. From a marketing point of view bigger numbers are always better (digital camera megapixel counts ring a bell?) but in practical terms there's usually a useful limit. I think ISI chose a decent sweetspot with the 2400Hz. Any 'issues' can be attacked via bug-fixing or added parameters, rather than increasing the core speed (and retaining any issues).

atomed and Dave^ like this.
  13. Binny

Binny Guest

Its been like 48 hrs & ppl saying rf2 will die. PMSL nothing has changed for any user. Maybe ppl should calm the farm and wait for a more detailed announcement from S397 b4 jumping to conclusions/opinions.

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Should be a good thing

zero point in dumbing down Rfactor2 or any new offshoot titles that are based on Rfactor2
    Options are there to dumb down in the form of aids if the user requires

be nice to see updates to the historic 66 content
    or an offshoot title solely based on this
    ( without downgrading Rfactor2’s physics/ffb )

15. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

As a long time user and contributor to rF2, and someone who tried to get friends into it as well. - some of my friends found it too hard, too slow to start, too confusing etc. Some friends loved it.

If, and I stress if, there is a way to make it more accessible for new drivers that could be a good thing. I can see many ways where you could do this without taking away anything from experienced drivers.
    This discussion seems to be getting caught in the argument that everything will be dumbed down or nothing will change. Entry-level could be added as an option without removing simulation aspects.
    Perhaps we should "cool our jets" until we know more. I am pretty sure the points have been made strongly enough to show what hard-core fans want. Not enough potential customers (and I suspect none, have commented here)

atomed likes this.
  16. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

17. Comante

Comante Registered

In this age there are many many ways to make a simulation more welcoming to new users or to less skilled or hardware equipped people. And the good thing is that nothing of this need to impact "hardcore" players. About the physics we have seen that simply changing tires could make things easier to manage with less experience, just like happen with our commute cars . And about assists I see the possibility to introduce "fly by wire " logic where a AI with deep learning abilities is working between the driver and the vehicle. This, done in a good way could even turn into a powerful learning device. Just like at driving school your teacher has pedals and instruct you while drive, AI can manage your driving input and tell where you are making mistakes, what mistakes you are making, and how to improve your style. .... damn... I already love this feature.... can we have it?
    In the end larger the herd, larger possibility there are for everyone, both for hardcore events and for newbies, just like in FPS nobody has fun when you mix skilled and unskilled players: the first just wander around headshotting pigeons the seconds die in matter of seconds unaware of what killed them... but both kind of player take advantage from being part of a larger community: game not die. But both kind of player take advantage of being part of a larger community: game live longer.

18. TJones

TJones Registered

Hi, I'm a bit skeptical to be honest. I was skeptical about the change from ISI to Studio-397 as well, mainly because ISI proved that they are able to develop highly complex vehicle physics, I think I can safely say now, that amount of development in Physics and AI behavior is a lot smaller/slower now than it was with ISI back then.
    Of course in other areas of the sim, like track accuracy and quality, including major car brands (BMW, Porsche, Ferrari), new graphics engine, only to name a few, I could see often big improvements over former owner. Obviously those are areas which have bigger impact on sales. Which is important to get the project running, and that's what counts at the end.
    For me personally, it's a bit of bad luck. I usually doesn't have much time for online or even league racing, so I often do practice sessions against AI, sometimes a 30 to 45min race. My main interest is a authentic driving experience, so if I get the impression that a car behaves unrealistic, I usually lose interest quickly.
    I think the main impetus of Motorsport Games to buy/invest in S397 is to get access to rF2 technology like tire model, for their own projects.
    It's also a loss of independency, so S397 may have to coordinate or check back some bigger design decisions.
    It should also be clear that both sides, so MG and S397 have the interest that people see this agreement in a positive light.

But I don't want to look to negative, the agreement could or should also open some new possibilities, for example to take on additional staff which would be necessary to keep up with other racing sims. Especially when it comes to development of codebase, which is the weakest point of S397 ATM IMO..
    Let's see what future brings. :)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    MiguelVallejo likes this.
  19. atomed

atomed Member

No, please, leave the trolling machine dry itself out.

+1 and then +1. Just like some apps have both easy and advanced configuring options, that would be a huge marketing boost for rF2.

20. stonec

stonec Registered

Surely you *could* just make some kind of advanced aids that do fly-by-wire things as you mentioned. The problem with this is that it will always be easier to simplify things other ways than to develop complex AI assists. Those complex assists will introduce other problems, like how to maintain a level playing field between different levels of assists. I just don't see it likely happening, history has shown this isn't the approach studios have taken to make something appeal to new users, it's rather to go the simcade direction.

One possibility is that this is all speculation and that the talks to change rF2 actually don't manifest to anything. I remember there was discussion about moving to rF1 tire model to make building new cars and modding easier when Studio 397 took over. Well, nothing ever became of it. I still think it comes down to more than just adding assists if they want to make rF2 easy to jump into for new users. One of those areas is the car setup, which is not what most beginners likely to thinker with unfortunately. I just hope things will stay like they are on the physics front.