Doubts for new system.

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Navigator, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi guys,

It's finally time to renew some parts of my system. Normally I do CPU one year, next year its the GPU.
    Now I have bought a GTX 1070 8Gb last year, I'm going to renew the CPU.

I did a lot of research and that only gave me more questions ;)
    Anyway, it all comes down to this:
    Budget is about 350 euro, current CPU is a stock 3570 with 8 Gb of 1600Mhz ram.

I once read that memory speed, is very important for racing games......I don't know if that s correct, I can't find the article anymore but I do find the opposite of that.

Budget wise: an i5 10400 or 10600, non K because speeding up the stuff always results in me crying and having to buy new stuff again.
    However: it "seems" a good chipset on the mainboard (Z490) and XMP memory could run 3200 or even 3600Mhz pretty much all by itself.......
    As apposed to the i5 10x00 will only run 2666 memory when you have all stock parts.

I also understand, that overclocking (as it seems the high speed for XMP actually is) is no certainty; so there is a risk.

I can choose:
    i5 10400
    Z490 mainboard
    16 Gb ram 3600 Mhz
    Will cost me about 360

Or the better CPU with stock memory:
    i5 10600
    B460 mainboard
    16 Gb ram at 2666 Mhz
    Will cost me about the same is the mainboard is cheaper.

For me, the only question is; what is better to play racing games? Not only rF2, but heavy stuff like ACC too.
    "What would you do?"

2. David Turnbull

David Turnbull Registered

heres a decent upgrade for a good price. great performance.

Attached Files:

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

If you have an older Motherboard, (heck my whole system is about 6 - 7 years old) you can't use those M.2 SSD's correct?

4. lagg

lagg Registered

With this budget i'd invest in the best CPU and RAM.
    The SSD is good to start the game quicker, but if there is enough space in the HDD and it's not damaged, rF2 is going to run ok with the HDD. I would invest the maximum as possible in CPU and RAM.

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Has anyone done any testing of motherboards with the new pcie 4.0 bus? This used to be a fairly common topic back when pcie 3 was relatively new, but I haven't seen much in that area of late.

6. lagg

lagg Registered

I haven't done it personally but AFAIK with the current grafhic cards there are no differences.

davehenrie likes this.