Announcement | Motorsport Games Enters Into Agreement to Acquire rFactor 2 and Developer Studio 397

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Mar 3, 2021.

1. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

2. Germano Cervini

Germano Cervini Registered

I have been using IRACING from the beta phase, and I assure you that they have developed it continuously, always using the same code, and now it is truly wonderful, it is a mix between RF2 and Automobilismo 2, and always improving, as is the tire physics and accidents: I'm sad because RF2 thought it was the only one that could bother Iracing, but I believe that this will never happen again.

3. FlyinFinn2

FlyinFinn2 Registered

Well, on the bussiness side, is ok for them. But not sure about "us". They will continue to develop some things for rF2, but as soon as they decide to make something new, it will not be made on the current engine, and will be UE, and, not being an expert, I read that physics have to be simplified on UE (not sure about this), and will be a " game " for everyone for all platforms, Kunos did it, and for money is a no brainer.

Sim is 9 years now, I´m in since day 1, don´t know if they/we can push much more the current platform guys, maybe we´ll have to... accept :(

4. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Automobilista2 is just a piece of crap...

5. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

I will sell all my simracing hardware the next second if we can only have arcade or simcade titles in the future... i just can't go back anymore...

Mauro likes this.
  6. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

IMO some things has regressed as well as some did progress (universally in simracing world, not precisely taliking about rF2). Best bet we can wish is progress of rF2 scenario for the years to come in its original direction,, and partnering with other titles using rF2 as an icebreaker to land all the improvements for the robustness and new features getting implemented to rF2.

Thats not a repetitive work to do, working on same software years later could probably feel just as fresh having different (coding) job if you just evolve, which many wish that rF2 will do.

Now it would make a lot more sense to your idea if we would talk about devs switching to developing to some entirely different kind of simulation or software, not a vehicle/racing simulation. Or if we would go even more extreme, maybe something that would require completely different work, such as something without computers, maybe without a chair in the first place.

Now that would be change.

7. Dave^

Dave^ Registered

I don't know, my posts were questions, not facts or matters of opinion.... :Do_O

8. Germano Cervini

we hope it never happens, but I remind you that you are Iracing, where they drive: Verstappen, Barrichello, Button, etc!

9. Dave^

Dave^ Registered

Of course it isn't, but that's an operating system, not a game. :D

10. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

iRenting is very expensive for what it is IMO, probably i'll sell all my simracing hardware and buy one or two real Karts as i live next to a Karting track...

pkelly likes this.
  11. Germano Cervini

we hope that RF2 never dies over time, it is a heritage that must not die, for those who love "simracing"

12. gianlucap

gianlucap Registered

08:30
    Here's the part that explains that RF2 will be dumbed down to please the "novice" players.
    First he says that the game has already great assists (meaning ABS, TC, SC and break and steering assists), but then he says that he wants more. And more is always achieved dumbing down the car setups, to make them more forgiving, and also secretely enabling a low level invisible TC and SC. Too bad that the adjusted setups and the invisible assists will stay on also when the player turn all assists off.
    I saw this happening during the development of pCars 1: the game had the handling of GTR2, but the devs decided to adjusts the setups to make the cars less "nervous". The testers complained about this and the devs decided to do it anyway. And why this decision? Because during the first public presentation of the game, the players weren't able to keep straight the Mercedes SLS AMG GT3 (the monster car chosen for the demo). With the consoles come the money, so there is the necessity to make the handling of the cars accessible also to the 5 years old kids.
    Also, with the console porting we can kiss goodbye to modding, because the devs and the publisher will push the DLC content only, claiming that modding can bring them legal troubles. Just wait and see.

Mauro likes this.
  13. Germano Cervini

so in summary ?, I was right in saying that RF2 as we see it today will die? I've been writing since this morning, guys this is very bad news for us!

14. instinkt

instinkt Registered

STOP IT FFS
    whole day of copy-pasting same moanings, how you haven't got bored yet

atomed and Dave^ like this.
  15. TTM

TTM Registered

New release candidate build is released, so hopefully all will take a small break now. :)

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Please stop, you've already ruined this thread and it's very clear RF2 is not going to die :rolleyes:

Uff, atomed and Dave^ like this.
  17. lagg

lagg Registered

18. Germano Cervini

who said it will die ?, I said it will no longer be the real and strong simulator as it is now, a simulator that real pilots use, they will make it more sim-arcade, see the video! .... I am vermante angry!

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Go be angry at Race Department then!

atomed likes this.
  20. stonec

stonec Registered

A fresh start, as in starting every from scratch would make no sense under any circumstance, it would mean 5-10 years of development before anything is released. Having said that, maybe there are a few selected parts that would benefit from rewriting. Basic physics equations don't change, so rewriting a lot of the basic underlying equations that run the sim doesn't make sense.

Maybe one thing that would be worth exploring is multithreading the physics engine. The single thread performance of CPU's haven't increased much over the last years, so in that sense all developers are limited by that. Moving each tire calculation to separate CPU threads or something like that, maybe worth exploring. Although the other problem is that sims are getting to such level of complexity that users often cannot tell which one is more realistic. The other thing perhaps worth exploring more is the tire model, but it's also very complex as it is, so adding more complexity there doesn't make it easier to build new tires for instance.