AI setup

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Luis Barata, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Luis Barata

Luis Barata Registered

The main problem is to assign a setup to AI cars depending of the track. The default setup works for some tracks but are a disaster for others. In karts there are all kind of tracks but in general the setup plays with a few parameters (acceleration vs top speed) - (grip vs no grip) the other parameters are important of course but if we can't get the primordial parameters acceleration vs speed it's very hard to get a good setup. While we can assign it to our own vehicle we can't assign it to the AI (the parameter in the AI SETUP seems to be disabled). For instance for a track indoor which have not straights big enough to high speeds the best AI loose at least 1 to 2 seconds by lap. Would be good to have a way to get a good setup for AI or at least 3 default setups (fast acceleration - medium acceleration - TOP speed).
    Anyone have a clue how to enable the AI setup? or how to assign a setup by track for AI?
    This one is tough I know :) .

2. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

Can be done and makes a difference when the ai use the same gearing and aero as yourself.

You can assign your setup for the ai to use and it would work on dedicated servers too (multiplayer with ai)
    You can assign ai a separate setup too but not on dedicated servers.(can only use the same as you)

The instructions are here on the bottom (fixed setups)
    http://meetme.bplaced.net/rF2_onlineTools/

atomed and Luis Barata like this.
  3. Luis Barata

Luis Barata Registered

Thanks for your reply and the instructions.
    I have done all the changes in the Player.JSON and replaced the original file but getting in game I was expecting to have "maybe" the AI SETUP enabled to assign the AI or that they have the same setup that I load for me, "well" it didn't seemed to happened, the cars still running with the default setup. Maybe I did something wrong after replaced the file. Anyway that instructions would work only for me, if we want to upload the setup for everybody the AI it will not work unless they do the complete procedure and change the player.json.
    The track is very short and indoor with tight corners and short straights the AI would improve if they use a setup with best acceleration, the default setup for AI gives them a medium acceleration and top speed which gives them more 2 second at least. I tested with my car with AI driving and that what's happened. The AI are running already at 110%.
    I think that rFactor 2 is missing some items that are important for modders.
    Cheers.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  4. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

Couple things maybe...

Once you assign the setup you have to exit the to main screen and load track again. As a test I give the ai a very apparent high 2nd and 3rd gear to determine its working.

Another is editing the json file with the game is running will not keep the changes.

It is defiantly possible what you are asking.....:)

5. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

other best fix combined with ai setup is:
    the track aiw file may also not be optimized for the car your using

6. Luis Barata

Luis Barata Registered

I'll try that.
    Not sure what you mean about the AIW not optimized, I did AIW's the last 20 years for several games, the last was for Project Cars 2, I believe I can make a proper AIW not matter of the track and setups according to it for each kind of car/track :) .
    I guess rFactor 2 team "maybe" did a generic AIW for Kart car for all the tracks. Of course is understandable, that the add on cars like SuperKarts don't work so good with the generic setup specially in kart tracks. But if they aloud modding they should had prevent situations where the generic setups would not work so good and give the modders a way to assign the AI's setup in a easy way. I came to a point where the AI in kart at 100% in default tracks are far behind in the end of the race, there is no fight, since I can make a good setup and they are fighting with a default setup, this is something that should not happen in any game where modding is possible, and is not a problem of the AIW's.
    Anyway I'm going to try it, thanks for your time and tools.

7. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

I understand, this wonderful game can be frustrating and rewarding at the same time.

I often wish some tracks and cars were good right away.
    The best AI racing I experience is when I create my own ai (fast and block path) with the car i want to use combined with the ai using the same setup as me (gearing and aero)

Did you manage to get the AI using your setup?

Anyway, good luck bud

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  8. Luis Barata

Luis Barata Registered

I need to redo the whole process and for the time being I was doing other things, I'll manage that when possible. Thanks.
    You are right the game is fine, it is almost 10 years old, probably they should have done a rFactor 3 nevertheless as it changed of company from ISI to Studio-397 so that would not happens, unless Studio-397 gets a better engine. ISI was a small company with limited resources and the game was almost a rF1 with small differences, so even good for modders (which I believe they have keep the game alive for longer time) they didn't gave the full tools to make better things. We see better games that can't survive like pCars2 because there are no modding, SMS just wanted to sell the engine for REIZA for Automobilista 2.
    Anyway I'll try to redo the whole process and see what happens.
    Cheers

9. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

Best driving experience and they are really working towards many improvements. Future looks very bright