[REL] Keimola Motor Stadium Conversion to Rfactor 2

Discussion in 'Locations' started by EmperorOfFinland, Jan 27, 2021.

1. EmperorOfFinland

EmperorOfFinland Registered

So i have been not working on the track for couple days but i decided to work one trackpiece per day on it so i can get it done and the work will not seem like its impossible, here is the first trackpiece properly splitted up. Keimola first subdivided trackpiece.png

Only thing is that since this is really timeconsuming it will take a while for me to finish up with the meshremake for the track, as i have to individually subdivide the roadedges and the middle of the road + the white lines to get them split evenly. So i expect this work to take anywhere from 3-12 weeks of work if i work 1-2 hours per day on it.

atomed, Superdevil, Hazi and 7 others like this.
  2. Myrvold

Myrvold Registered

Indeed! I don't understand a thing, but even I can see that this can help people! :D

3. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Would it be faster to model new road mesh from scratch? You should able to create left-, center- and right edge splines from existing road meshes. And then create new mesh from them. That shouldn't take 12 weeks.

Mauro likes this.
  4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

What method do you use to do that from splines?

5. TTM

TTM Registered

With loft tool you can do it. I’m sure that blender contains it too.

6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Loft uses 1 spline path, not 3

7. TTM

TTM Registered

Oops.. :)

Ok, just create splines from left, center and right edges and then attach them to single spline. Select spline from selection tab and then select cross section from geometry. Click on the left line vertex and then on the center line vertex and then on the right line vertex.

Apply Surface modifier and then apply edit poly. You can add more polygons to road mesh with surface modifier, just change value on patch topology.

This is for 3ds max, but i'm sure that you can do same with blender...

Spline.png

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    Mauro likes this.
  8. Woodee

Woodee Registered

done that before, it has it's drawbacks of cross sections across the track to misaligned

9. Vanisch

Vanisch Registered

Unfortunately I keep getting this error while loading this track ... Do any of you have any advice?

Thank you for your help

[​IMG]

10. EmperorOfFinland

I dont have much advice on that error, seems youre missing some things from the track itself. albeit i have a guess its because i dont have textures for the said things. but the mod did not errorout on my end when i have been using it from the workshop. i will add that to fixable bugs list for next release. So my theory on it is that if i add the textures for the said things the error will go away,

i would recommend reinstalling the mod and trying does it fix it up.

Vanisch likes this.
  11. EmperorOfFinland

Partly the problem about completely remodelling the mesh is that i have no idea on how to do it. as it probably involves doing UV mappings and stuff like that. the reason why it will take 12 weeks is that if i dont feel like working the track since the roadmesh rework with my way is extremely boring work to do. (i have not worked on it for a week now)

I also have my simracing and streaming commitments so its hard to motivate myself to do something like this. And 3dmax is outside of my money league. so it has to be done with blender. So the plan is to try do 3-7 parts of the track per week so it will get done before the summer.

You can join on twitch to see me reworking it though so i dont get infinitely bored by doing it. (The link is on the signature of my posts)

bears and Vanisch like this.
  12. EmperorOfFinland

One thing that infuriates me is the merge by distance failing to work properly but thankfully the subdivided edges match the others so i dont need to go and actually merge the edges as they will automatically merge with the same looptools relax values.

I have 0 idea why the merge by distance fails to work.´

I worked for 4 hours today and i got from 1/62 to 8/62, so it seems this mesh will be done in 1-2 weeks, then i will test it out and after that i will start the noising of the mesh itself, i will just try how to mesh drives on its own before i noise it up a bit as some people liked the smoothness of it so i might do a drift version with smoother surface. and the real race version with more bumpy track Keimola Mesh Work.png

Superdevil, pascom, bears and 5 others like this.
  13. EmperorOfFinland

So i updated the track to 0.92, i found a bug caused by a missing texture so i added the missing textures into the track. Otherwise the track should be as expected. Due to simracing commitments i have not been able to work on the trackmesh yet but i will try to get it done when i find the time.

pkelly, Hazi, Corti and 1 other person like this.
  14. EmperorOfFinland

Progress continues on the trackmesh.
    Keimola Mesh Preview Picture.png

I have been thinking with the idea of making 2 meshes, one being as smooth as the track normally is and have its primary usage being drifting as the track is probably really smooth with the trackmesh rework.

I also fixed the hole on the track Keimola Fixed Holes.png

So now there should not be jarring holes on that corner anymore

Corti and Mauro like this.
  15. EmperorOfFinland

So i have been hacking at the trackmesh for the entire evening. seems like the mesh holes are starting to get fixed. i will work it out so there is minimal gaps showing outside of the track, i went and fixed this too
    Keimola Even More Fixed Mesh.png

So no longer there should be a hole where you can see the trees. the land will now mesh properly to that way so there is no holes.

pascom, svictor, Gasper Zupan and 4 others like this.
  16. Esa Ahonen

Esa Ahonen Registered

Is there any news on this?

Mauro likes this.
  17. EmperorOfFinland

Oh i have just been simracing recently and not logging in to the forums itself. One of the simracing series wrapped itself up and other has only one race. So i practically decided to reorganize my schedule and start doing the mesh for couple hours every thrusday. i should be 20/62 done on the dividing of the roadmesh so that means i only need to do it for 2/3 of the track and then do the bumps and stuff like that to it. Albeit the job has been slow since subdividing the surface is quite timeconsuming. And boring.

I would expect the work be done by the end of the year though. if i can start getting the 4 hours per week work on it. as one piece takes 15-45 minutes to do. i had some problems on trackmodding since my game kept crashing on loading the track cause my player.ini was broken so i had to remake that. Its just that i got into simracing and started using considerable time on it. i have however managed to get 2nd place on the f1 1986 championship that finished yesterday and doing well on Group C championship

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    bears, Denis Betty, Mauro and 2 others like this.
  18. EmperorOfFinland

I spent the time between 16:00-20:00 doing the trackmesh and i was able to make good progress on it as i finally figured how to do it fast and effectively so i dont have to manually move the mesh that much. i was at 20/62 and now im at 45/60 Keimola 45 Pieces done.png

All the fully black surface is fully subdivided already so that means only the last 2 corners remain and half of the startstraight. If i dont work it more in this week i will work 4 hours on it the next week again and i expect to get the roadsubdivision done by that time so i can start to test it.

pascom, Gasper Zupan, pkelly and 4 others like this.
  19. EmperorOfFinland

So i got the subdivision done but i accidentally messed up the surface. i will try to smooth it back up and see how it drives before releasing it its fairly uneven as of now so i might need to go and smoothen it up even more i have literally 0 idea what is the right amount

20. EmperorOfFinland

So basically i could release a smooth version of it as i dont really know at all what amount of bumps i should use on it. i could just use the new and old asphalt things to generate the bumps instead as 0.1m is too much bumps as its completely undriveable 0.01-0.04cm is probably the right amount of bumps on the track. So what i will do now is to probably release the Smooth version out and add in bumps later. so that means the track will be extremely smooth for the time being but it should be infinitely better to drive around than the lowpoly version

So this means i probably need some help on making the bumps on the track and getting it down to right amount but i can already get people to drive the new track probably today

Hazi, Mauro, bears and 1 other person like this.