SOLVED Cannot manually start engine

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Mark Krus, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Mark Krus

Mark Krus Registered

I assign the starter and ignition, but instead of the ignition working it changes the vehicle status or pit status display (whatever is up at the time) to say 'Vehicle Status Unavailable' and it toggles back and forth between that and whatever display panel I had up and DOES NOT start my engine. This happens in all cars. I have tried keys and buttons on my wheel, nothing works. So at the moment I just cannot start my engine if I kill it for instance.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Which car? Some can't be started unless in the pitlane. Also, make sure you push the clutch in.

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The digital display 'should' only work once the ignition(electrics) button is pressed. Then you can use the starter button. If you replaced your player.json file recently it may have reset the default where the engine is magically started without any input from you. If you have the car in gear without the clutch being pressed, it will stall.
    dig into the player.json and look for these lines:
    "Start Engine":True,
    "Start Engine#":"Whether to automatically start engine",
    Change the True to false. Make sure you don't accidentally erase the : or the ,

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ignition is not the same as Starter.

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

That is why I mentioned the ignition first.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I was responding to the first post.

7. Mark Krus

Mark Krus Registered

I had already tried both true and false values for start engine in the player.json file. If it's false, it means I can't drive any car because I can't start them. This happens in neutral, clutch fully in, in the pit lane, all cars. I just took out the Corvette C6 road car to confirm (confirmed, I couldn't start it) and something I noticed was that it toggles the windshield display on and off (as well as the other display and instead of starting my car).

The starter does seemingly nothing (as it is just turning on your ability to use ignition I believe), and it is the ignition that is toggling my displays.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Other way round.

You need ignition (power, hence displays) first. This is always on unless you turn it off, normally.

THEN you use Starter to start the engine.

*and full sympathy here: I don't know why they called it ignition. It's always confusing.

9. Mark Krus

Mark Krus Registered

Oh my gosh this was my problem. I had tried starter, ignition, starter, ignition and I thought it wasn't working, but I think I was cutting ignition before the engine started.

10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

And that is WHY I mentioned ignition first and even gave the Euro term as well. ;)

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's ok, you can have my points for this one.

davehenrie likes this.