[WIP] Blender rF2 Studio

Discussion in 'Modding' started by FuNK!, Feb 13, 2021.

1. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Blender Application Templates for the rFactor2 Modder

Application Templates for Blender allow re-use of configuration and contents, which is perfect for those that often have the same workflow and don't want to fiddle in the menus first before being able to actually start working on their project.

These rF2 Studio Application Templates are made for the rFactor2 modders with their very own requirements. But these templates do work well for other purposes and can also be modified very easy to each individuals liking and requirements.

The templates are work in progress, but can be used already. Information on how to install and use them with Blender can be found on github here.

I will add some screenshots with one of the next releases.

However, I'm very curious to get to know your feedback, thoughts, and ideas! So make sure to post here or on file an issue on github (bug, feature request).

Happy Blending!

rlong, Hazi, haunetal1990 and 3 others like this.
  2. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Hi, thanks. This should be most helpful. After downloading, pointing to the zip and click install application template, i only see " blender-rF2-studio-main " under the NEW dropdown. I do not see "rF2>Studio" , "rF2 Studio>car" or "rF2 Studio>Track "as shown in the example when i press New. What did i do wrong?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  3. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

I'm sorry, I made a beginner's mistake here! The ZIPs should have included folders so that the templates are installed properly.

Please go to one of the following paths and delete any lose/single files there. Then please download the ZIPs again and install those. It should work then!

For Linux
    Code:
    ~/.config/blender/2.XX/scripts/startup/bl_app_templates_user
    For Windows
    Code:
    C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.XX\scripts\startup\bl_app_templates_user

Corti likes this.
  4. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Thanks, I will try that. I also assume I can import existing stuff into the template as well?

5. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Sure! Maybe that has not been that clear before, but you have already used application templates all the time when using Blender since 2.79 or so: The "General" or "2D Animation" items from the "File" > "New" menu are actually just the default application templates that come with Blender :cool:

Corti likes this.
  6. smbrm

smbrm Registered

OK, i am following the instructions and i am still not getting the result you describe. Are you assuming some interim steps, but not mentioning? Do i install by pointing to the Blender-rF2-Studio-main..zip, or the unzipped files? I still see " blender-rF2-studio-main " under the NEW dropdownafter i follow the process? It is not here after I delete and before I run the process.I did delete what you requested. I am using blender 2.91

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  7. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Well, kind of it seems! :D
    You downloaded the whole repository and tried to install that. Please visit the release page on github and download the individual ZIP files from there:
    IMG_20210215_073228.jpg

Corti likes this.
  8. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Ok, found it now. If i click on "releases" on the right, under "About" and then click assets it takes one to the individual zips appear.

9. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

I've just uploaded a v0.2 of the templates with some minor fixes. Template does now not override your settings and will still enable some plug-ins by default (if installed/available).

Head over to github and grab the new release. Please also let me know if you have any questions or requests ;)

10. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

I'm preparing the first update to the templates that adds some template content.

To the "rF2 Studio - Car" template I will add:
    • Physics Helpers
      • Suspension model pm objects
      • HDV physic objects/empties
      • Ultra Chassis objects
    • Material Library
      • Some basic material shaders, e.g. for the carbody and windows
    [​IMG]

To the "rF2 Studio - Track" template I will add a road or track template, consisting of a small 3D road piece with sidestrips (gras left and right) and road markings (white line left and right), all UV mapped (simple), textured (simple, free textures packed but still need to verify licences), and last but not least with an Array and Curve modifier to bend the road piece along a simple road curve object (oval shape with a small curve diameter of 50m). Additionally to that, I will also add the basic track objects to the template, such as xsectors and xfinish.

[​IMG]

Anyhow, I'm wondering what you might need or would like to see in the template that could help you to kickoff your new track or car project? Let me know!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  11. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

I have published a new v0.3-alpha now, that comes with some small but nice changes/additions:

Changelog
    • The startup.blend files for the car and track templates were updated to include sample or helper objects.
    • The splash.png for the studio template was finally redone.
    Please visit the github to download the car and track templates if you like.

Oh, and please let me know any issues or requests :cool:

Mauro, SLK and haunetal1990 like this.