Crappy crash system

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Roberbond, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Roberbond

Roberbond Registered

I was racing at Longford in the Competition System and there was a multiple crash in the first round (as usual). 3 or 4 Pilots left the race. Another accident in the round after the long road and there were 12 pilots left in the first lap.

But after a few laps I made a big mistake and hit a wall, losing a wheel. It was half of the race so I was a little frustrated... But I pressed the pedal and I could move the car about 60 kph in a straight line. So I went to the pit stop, repaired the car and went on.

Many people argue with every patch about the UI or the graphic but I couldn't see any complaints about the crappy crash system. Sometimes, you crash the car and don't notice something is damaged, and sometimes the car is uncontrollable, but how can you know the difference other than checking the blue sketch?

How is it possible that you can drive with 3 wheels?

2. Comante

Comante Registered

Ask Gilles ...

bwana and Bill Worrel like this.
  3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

For starters how do real life drivers know? They don't have a Blue HUD display to tell them what's wrong, like us using Crew Chief they can get information over the radio or they drive by "feel" to try and determine what is wrong with the car after a crash. Also, in my 40+ years of watching car racing, I've seen plenty of drivers get the car back to the pits with a wheel missing, be it through a puncture or a complete wheel coming off so it is possible.

Whilst the damage system isn't the best and could do with an upgrade ala iRacing or something in the future, for now it works as good as it is and there is no sign this will be improved upon any time soon.

bwana and David O'Reilly like this.
  4. Roberbond

Roberbond Registered

They can phisically see if the car is undrivable.
    At 60 kph? I don't mean a puncture, I lost a front wheel, so the front of the car was hitting the road and the right side of my car was blue in the sketch car. But I could go in a straight line. The car shouldn't move or be totally undrivable (and I should be ill or dead).

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Only what's in front of them and then not always, if in a Tin Top they have less chance of seeing than in an Open Wheeler. They don't have multiple Camera Views like us, they can't see behind, they have to try with feel like I said above.

Yes, I've seen drivers hot foot it back whilst their Engineer is screaming at them to slow down!

It also depends on what Damage % is used in the Comp you were racing on, if it was 50% or less then it's much easier to get away with bad damage and therefore easier to drive.

6. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

[​IMG]

Of course it's possible to drive a tripod?

bwana likes this.
  7. JamesB

JamesB Registered

8. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

I am not the only one :D

9. kados

kados Registered

awesome rf2 videos :D

10. Roberbond

Roberbond Registered

After seeing the videos I know now the crash system is not so bad!! upload_2021-2-15_12-0-36.gif
    Well, maybe the representation of the failures could be better.

11. dylbie

dylbie Registered

Why are people trying to defend the damage system? Sure you can drive a car with three wheels back to the pits in real life, but slamming into a wall at 180mph and seeing ONLY a single wheel pop off with no other signs of damage is a bit strange is it not?

EDIT: Imagine BeamNG with rFactor2's tyre model. That would be the ultimate sim for realism in my eyes. Sadly we're about a million miles from that.

Elcid43 and FORMULAEFAN71 like this.
  12. JamesB

JamesB Registered

Yes it would, but that's not what we have, nor do you have it in ac, acc, or iracing. Compared to the actual racing, it's not that important. Yes the damage model is not great but I drive this for the enjoyment of racing and try to keep it on the black stuff. If you damage the car, it still becomes much less driveable and uncompetitive so that you have to stop and get it repaired. If you want a smash up simulation then drive beam ng (which is very good) but surely we don't need another rant thread about something ancillary to the game? Just my opinion.....

13. lagg

lagg Registered

The damage is not only dependant on the model.
    It's dependant on the car and the config of the game or server.
    There are cars in rF2 that if you hit a wall at 180mph simply can't continue due to the damages.
    It's clear that it's not comparable to BeamNG but what you are telling is not due only to the damage system.

14. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

When one or more individuals ruin my race in a pileup and I have to limp back to the pits or press escape my concern is more about what they were thinking rather than the accuracy of how @#"cked my car is.
    BTW I have a great replay that needs including here.
    I also think the damage model is very good.
    That's just me I guess.