About Dedicated Server and MAS2 utility on new UI at Linux

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by leillo1975, Feb 4, 2021.

1. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

Hello
    First of all, I know that this game don't have Linux support, and of course you, the developers, have no obligation whatsoever to Linux gamers.
    I think it is known that it is possible to play rFactor 2 on Linux using Steam Play/Proton with good results, but you should know that with the new UI it is not possible to launch the MAS2 utility and the dedicated server, as you could do with the old launcher.
    This is a problem for Linux Gamers, because we need to launch it apart from the game with some very complicated commands, and either it does not detect the game files, or it launches the server but then it is not visible outside.
    I see two possible solutions for us. The first one is to include (or integrate) on the new UI buttons for MAS2 utility and Dedicated Server. The second is trying to make another options on the Steam Launcher (like video conf or rfactor for devs). This option I don't know if permits to use the game while the server is launched.
    Really, I don't know if this possibilities could solve the problem, but if we, Linux users, could use them again we would be very grateful.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Forgive my ignorance; isn't it possible to run the dedi and MAS tool in linux (not natively, but via... something... )? I thought people were doing that long before rF2 was on steam.

3. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

As I said is possible using Wine/Proton, but with the new UI don't work properly, as I report o the first post. With the old UI, you could launch them using the game launcher before start the game.

4. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Does Linux support making shortcuts to Mod Manager and Mas tool?

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No, I meant running the files directly. As that doesn't need any graphics other than standard windows dialog.

6. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

Yes you can make and edit them to start with wine this .EXEs , or use it with Proton creating a Steam Launcher. I managed to start the dedicated server, and configure it correctly, but then I couldn't see it in the online playlist, and neither could my friends. With the old UI there was no problem.

Goanna likes this.
  7. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

I'm not in dedicated servers or such, but modding. So what I did for me to just ease my life was to integrate the MAS tool in a way that I can open mas files directly. It's not much, but works for me. I ever wanted to post a quick tutorial for that here, but thought this wouldn't be of much interest :confused:
    Originally I also wanted to do some scripting and provide those, like using all the CLI options to execute direct mas or rfcmp operations. Hoever, at the end of the day I never really started because all these operations outside of the MAS tool are not really something I actually need much :oops:

I guess, creating just a shortcut to the MAS tool itself should not be worth mentioning ;)

8. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

Everything is useful. I'm interested in all this things

9. TheMenace

TheMenace Registered

The dedicated server works under wine on Linux based systems, as does the MAS tool and the mod manager. The server needs to be given the proper directory as an argument if it runs from the /Bin64 directory just like on Windows:

Code:
    wine ./"rFactor2 Dedicated.exe" +path=".."
    Or the full path if it's run from anywhere else.

But it's also possible to start it from the rF2 root directory without the path argument(since that's the directory it should run from):

Code:
    wine ./bin64/"rFactor2 Dedicated.exe"
    The tools can also be run by just clicking on the .exe files from explorer, just run:

Code:
    wine explorer

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    leillo1975 and Bernat like this.
  10. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

Thanks for this info and sorry I didn't answer before. I will test the server again this weekend. As I said in my last post everything could be useful.

Greetings!

11. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

I've finally posted a tutorial on how to open MAS files with the MAS Tool under Linux using WINE: http://www.tirewall.net/rfactor2-mas2-tool-unter-linux-mit-wine/

I wrote this in German (was easier and faster), but I'm sure Google will do a good job with the translation until I have finally managed to implement an automatic translation plugin to my website. Please let me know if this works for you or if there is any showstopper. Thanks!

leillo1975 likes this.
  12. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

Hello again

I have been testing again with wine , Proton, the new and the old UI and I have to say:

server-wine + proton-newUI= the game don't see the server
    server-wine + proton-oldUI= the game don't see the server
    server-proton (shortcut) + proton-newUI= the game don't see the server
    server-proton (shortcut) + proton-oldUI= the game don't see the server
    server-proton (old launcher) + proton-oldUI= everything works ok

13. Bernat

Bernat Registered

We've created a launcher for the server in Steam as an external game. When using this new launcher the Steam ports aren't created, ports HTTPPort + 1 and +2.

If I replace the game executable by the server executable and launch it as I would normally launch the game, the ports are created. But I can run the game because Steams says the game is already running.

The old interface didn't have this problem because the server and the game could both be concurrently launched as the same Steam application.

I don't know about the integration of Steam features into games but it seems to break when the server isn't launched from the official Steam launcher.

leillo1975 likes this.
  14. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

With this data that @Bernat posted, I think the simplest thing to do would be to have a couple of buttons in the new interface that open the server and MAS2 applications in separate windows. I suppose that developers will pay little attention to us (in the hypothetical case they read this topic), because there are few of us who have this problem, but perhaps placed away in an almost inaccessible corner would be enough..... ;)
    We are a small group of passionate racing Linux gamers who really enjoy racing together with rF2.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  15. Bernat

Bernat Registered

I don't use steamcmd. I'm talking about using the server executable that comes with the game. On Windows you create a shortcut to it and start the server without doing anything else.

Also, it's the LAN server discovery that it's failing, no match maker involved. The game client is looking for server in the LAN by broadcasting to a port that isn't created by the game server unless we use a modified game launcher.

16. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

As I imagined the problem would be solved by integrating a couple of buttons in the new UI to launch the server and MAS2. A friend of mine, @Marcos P. has made an application launcher for Windows that by starting it with proton allows to launch all the applications (game, server and MAS2) in the same instance of this compatibility layer, and everything works correctly.
    By changing the launch parameters of rFactor 2 (in my case "/media/DATOS/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/"Proton 6.3"/proton waitforexitandrun /media/DATOS/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/"rFactor 2"/proton_launcher/bin/Proton_Launcher.exe; echo %command%") in steam and then configuring the paths in the launcher we get something similar to the old official launcher.

[​IMG]

UPDATE: In screenshot you can see that in the text box I wrote "+path=.." , but in the first one, the rFactor2.exe, is necessary to use "+path=.. +workshopsync". Without include also "+workshopsync" the game will not update workshop items.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
    Marcos P. likes this.