Latest Roadmap Update - January 2021

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Jan 31, 2021.

1. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Its physics

2. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

Calming the waters is fine, but only good intentions are more of the same, I hope they really change and pay attention to the users although so far only on a few occasions ... because the thousands of things they did not do are too many

3. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

Good roadmap. Nice to see that user critics are beeing noticed and made change their behaviour.

I d like to have votes per ticket. So that all issues can get a priority from the community and most important fixes get fixed first.

A good way for the future would be a solid mix of housekeeping, bugfixing and new features. There are still to much issues of the good old days left.

dylbie, Elcid43, Kahel and 2 others like this.
  4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Asobo are doing this (via Zendesk) for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 and it's the biggest mess I've seen in reporting issues in any game I've witnessed for 30+years!

Voting to prioritise Bugs does not help deal with the main bugs, as threads get bounced, miss voting occurs, people just Vote for everything. It really doesn't work very well, IMO the Developer should prioritise Bugs based on the knowledge of their own simulator.

Where Voting can work is in Wish Lists, but even then it's open to Spamming. Overall, possibly I'd be well against any form of Voting.

atomed, pkelly and jayarrbee36 like this.
  5. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

The CEO will go wherever he wants to go ..., but having a list of errors from more than 5 years ago and still in the trunk of memories is not right, voting is not the solution! , but taking advantage of the reported error reports and repairing them should be a priority, and get a UI in conditions of use that there is not a day that one thing or another does not fail ... hopefully they return to the right path!

6. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

It all sounds wonderful in terms of giving users feedback on issues they have raised. But it'll take a hell of a lot of work to pull off, to add features in the forum for collecting issues and providing a dashboard on progress.

Having come from an enterprise software background also, we used Zendesk to create and manage the issues/tickets, and then Jira to track and manage bugs (and made a cross-reference between the two). The situation here is very different: possibly thousands of customers, and the goal is not to get every one of the issues they raise addressed somehow, unlike the enterprise example, where each one could be paying thousands of dollars and it was a mission-critical system. (Doesn't mean we fixed every bug or solved every issue, far from it). The support staff and implementation team could also submit issues and record bugs they found. So we had, literally, thousands of entries in Jira, from up to 10 years ago. The devs decided, well, we're never going to get round to addressing all those. So they archived them all, and started from scratch. Crazy decision. There's value in knowing all those bugs, and if the remainder were all low priority ones never to be fixed, it was still useful to know someone had seen the same thing, and usually, there was some sort of mitigation or workaround documented; archiving meant we lost all visibility to those.

But its a real challenge with legacy code, and legacy bugs. In theory when you have to open up a bit of code (either to bug fix or for enhancements/new features), you ought to go back through that list of bugs and decide if you can fix any of them while you're in there. Obviously if its a five second fix but the backlog of other fixes would take 6 months, you don't attack the backlog. But you've got to have some way of addressing that and prioritizing what you do try to address. Our problem was that the original code was literally written by a non-programmer in his garage. So there were largely duplicative bits of code spread all over the UI. The long term way to address that is have a consistent reusable set of functions/services that everything calls. They'd started on that path, but it was maybe 50% done (the important bits). But they'd stopped working on that project, because doing so meant sexy new features weren't getting added. Largely, the current management team were determined to grow the business and so re-prioritized all the new features/bolt-ons; meanwhile the core was horribly broken as well as lacking other fundamental features that weren't sexy/winning sales battles. But the lack of those meant the software often couldn't be properly implemented for clients. I ended up with about 40% of my clients failing to implement, before I quit that company...

This stuff is hard. You are resource constrained. You are constrained by legacy code. But it's up to the management team to, you know, manage how they get themselves out of it. Adding customer-derived wishlists isn't going to get the job done.

Bill Worrel and RaceNut like this.
  7. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

So, "Much easier said than done" applies here. :p:D

8. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Sorry to say that, but this process already didn't work in the past with the beta UI so why do you assume it would work in future? Instead you forced us to use a totally f****d UI with so many bug that the users are tired of reporting them. I run an endurance league and our latest race was full of bugs. S397 we are users and not your free beta testers!!!! Fix your bugs by yourself!!!

juanchioooo and datasting like this.
  9. lagg

lagg Registered

Don't worry. We are free to do it or not. Nobody forces us to do it.

mixer61 and Remco Majoor like this.
  10. atomed

atomed Member

I upvote your message.

11. Lethal

Lethal Registered

that's right?

Attached Files:

12. David Short

David Short Registered

No its not right that's the mp4/8 engine the mp4/13 had a V10 Merc;)

13. Lethal

Lethal Registered

why did the game create a folder outside the main folder?

Attached Files:

14. Lethal

Lethal Registered

Rename the profiles of the controls in the game, to mitigate the FFB errors that the game STILL has, where if the driver enters the race without reloading the settings the FFB is completely unconfigured forcing you to enter the settings and load the profile again until the problem is remedied.
    awe.JPG 20210226200900_1.jpg