How do I set up a ghost car with my best lap?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andrew Nagy, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Andrew Nagy

Andrew Nagy Registered

I hope I stated that correctly. Now that I've been successfully driving my sim for a few weeks, I'm getting down to what appear to be fairly respectable lap times at Atlanta Motorsports in a Radical SR3 (solo sessions only - not planning on doing competitive sim racing for awhile), based on what I've seen on youtube of people driving real cars. My consistency is also getting a lot better. So, Id like to move on the the next step (before hiring a coach) and try to figure out what I'm doing differently on my best laps. I've heard there's a way to create a "ghost car" driving your best lap that you can follow to try to emulate that best lap. Does RF2 store all your prior laps? If so, how do you retrieve them, and create a ghost car?

Also, while I'm achieving my goal of getting a ton of great practice in before I head to AMP to take a real-life race class next month prior to participating in an arrive-and-drive series there, I feel like I'm barely scratching the surface of RF2's capabilities - I haven't the foggiest idea what 95% of the items on the various menus mean, or what they do. Is there a good video or pdf somewhere that walks a beginner like me through RF2's capabilities, preferably in the current UI? Just as an example, I'd like to remove the split timer that's currently blocking my view of the tach, but have no idea how to do that, and I don't want to have to post a question on this forum for every single thing I don't understand. Thanks.

2. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

Look for transparent trainer in settings and there are some other settings you can set with it besides just turning it on.

I don't know of any tutorial except the "getting started" page which is out of date with the new UI.

The only thing I can think of that would be blocking your view of the tach would be the hud or maybe the info display. You can turn those on and off with the default keys of 5 and 6. So when you're in the car, press the 5 key on your keyboard.

3. Andrew Nagy

Andrew Nagy Registered

Thanks for the reply. I didn't get a chance to try it last night, but will take a look tonight (depending on whether I melt down my computer trying to get my triple monitors working again - see my thread on that).

Does RF2 store the data from your prior sessions? I somehow managed to tick off a very fast lap a couple of sessions ago that I haven't quite equalled since, although I've gotten close, and have gotten much more consistent, so I would to retrieve that lap and use it as my reference lap.

4. Comante

Comante Registered

No, apart replay you can't store your fastest laps , the Ghost car use the current session timing .

5. Andrew Nagy

Andrew Nagy Registered

It works - that's a really cool feature, although it was distracting at first, because the speed of the pace car apparently updates whenever I set a new fast lap for the session. So it creates the pace car after lap 2, which still typically is a warm-up-ish lap, and therefore not terribly fast. So I was caught off guard, and ran into the back of the pace car as I was picking up the pace on lap 3. But once I got use to the presence of the pace car, I enjoyed having it there to help guide my pace. Thanks for showing me how to Bill Worrel for showing me how to bring it up. I'm really enjoying uncovering the cool features of RF2.

Bill Worrel likes this.