GT3/GTE pack - Bugs (9) listing, detailed reports

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Havner, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Havner

Havner Registered

This thread is akin to my "New UI" bugs thread I have in this subforum. I probably won't be maintaining it as often, but I wanted to gather all the bugs I know of and some taken from GT3 release thread.
    Feel free to post your own, few caveats though:
    - I don't promise I'll add them to the main post
    - Please only report here things that are 100% reproducible, things that can be easily verified. So no physics, eg: "this doesn't drive the way it should, etc".
    - If you report something make sure that person reading that is able to reproduce it by your description.

Bug 1: Dashes
    This is multiple smaller bugs, but I'll gather this under this umbrella. I won't describe everything, but will give a general idea.
    We know that dashes in rF2 are not prototypical (hopefully I use this word correctly) contrary to iRacing and ACC. But still some of them are kinda useful, some are utterly useless. rF2 also cannot display as much types of information in the dash as those other games mentioned. But still it can display some. I don't think that this list is stretching it in any case:

a. RPM
    b. gear
    c. speed
    d. TC
    e. ABS (if installed, GTEs have none)
    f. mixture
    g. brake bias
    h. fuel left
    i. water temperature
    j. oil temperature
    k. lap count
    l. last lap
    m. best lap
    n. tire temps
    o. tire pressures

I feel like this is not an extensive list and from what I know all GT3/GTE cars we have can display almost all of this info in real life (some not everything, but close).

At least b-k is a must for every car in one form or another.

Now where lies the bug?

1. Not all of this info is available in every car (where it should cause there is a place for it and the original car has it).
    2. Even if the info is available it's displayed in a wrongly marked place

I won't go over through every single car, but I'll give few examples. The biggest offenders for me are:

McLaren 720s: The real car has lots of info. For sure it has everything on the list and much more.
    The rF2 has only a few. It has wonderful places to show ABS/TC/Mixture and tire temps/pressures, but it's not used. Also current lap is displayed under "lap rem". Which is misleading.

AMR Vantage GT3:
    The TC is displayed in the incorrect circle, that is marked ABS (yes, TC indicator is displayed inside ABS circle). There is no ABS indicator. There is lots of place wasted that could be used for other things. Again, the real car has much more. Not everything, but much more.
    Also in the case of AMR Vantage GT3 and GTE you could unify them to be the same (correctly the same). You recently broke GTE version more than it was before. See here:
    GTE Update - January 2021, Post #28
    GTE also has TC indicator inside ABS circle.

Callaway's GT3 dash is also pretty barren. Most GT3 could use lots of improvements in this regard.

The nicest here is probably the recently released C8R. Lots of information in a nice form.

Every GT3/GTE car should be investigated by someone and corrected and unified in this regard. Again, not saying that every car should have all the info (for instance some real cars have no RPM indicators, I'm not saying to put them anyway, but put as much correct info where it makes sense and where there is a place to do so, especially when real car has a place for it).

Bug 2: Delimiters
    Very often when you display current lap it's displayed as a float. And very often there is no delimiter (Vantage) or wrong one (/ for 720s) producing monsters like:

37 or 3/7 when in reality it's neither 37 nor 3 out of 7. It's 3.7 (3 and 7/10)

Almost every GT3/GTE car has an issue like that. Again, won't go through a complete list. It's immediately visible when you load a car.

Bug 3: Brake bias
    Why every car that has a brake bias display displays it as 0-30, where every number means some arbitrary value, like 11 is actually 54.3 front. Why can't you display 54.3 as in every other sim/car?

Bug 4: Inconsistency between setup and in car adjustment
    Some cars (e.g. Porsche RSR, Callaway GT3) have TC and/or ABS in setup in a range from 1(Off) to 12, while in car adjustment (and the dash if shows) are in form from 0-11. So basically 1 from setups maps to 0 in-car, 2 maps to 1 in-car, etc. In other cars it's correct.

The same thing can be said partially about brake bias (bug 3) where BB in setup is in a correct form, but in dash brake bias is in another form. Fortunately messages on BB change are correct.

Bug 5: Rev lights
    In some cars they are not prototypical, eg McLaren 720s in reality should gear when lights go to the last one (red) and all lights change to blue. In rF2 you should rev when red (last lights) appear. There is no blue lights at all.
    In other cars they are utterly useless. E.g. Mercedes GT3. To test this load the Merc, turn on auto shifting and accelerate on straight line. Observe that gears do change, but the lights stay the same. Their range is so big that they don't change at all in the rev range after changing the gear to the next gear.

All the GTE/GT3 cars should be reviewed and fixed.
    Post #3

Bug 6: Wheel rotation / wheel lock
    Mercedes GT3 and Callaway Corvette have wrong wheel rotation (close to 360) and too limited wheel lock that is not correct and makes it very hard to get out of pits sometimes.

Also reported by @Andregee:
    Latest GT3 Updates (Includes BOP), Post #25

Inconsistency 7: TC in default setups
    Some cars have TC lowest in the default setups (which is fine) some have it completely turned off. From what I know GT3 cars are not driven without TC. I know people here might do as rF2 simulates TC poorly but I find this really misleading for newcomers that this is the case. You said that the default setups are supposed to be fast. So why some cars are fast with TC 1 and others without it at all? Seems like some more serious issue is there underneath. In any case for newcomers I feel that every default setup should have TC set 1 by default.

Bug 8: Callaway corvette model, reported by @Flaux
    Wheel width is wrong making the wheels extend past the model. See here for screenshots:
    Latest GT3 Updates (Includes BOP), Post #95

This also causes the wheels to clip with the model. See here:
    Latest GT3 Updates (Includes BOP), Post #99

Bug 9: Fuel consumption
    I might be wrong here, so please correct me someone if I am. But GT3 fuel consumption is significantly higher than GTE (like by 25%). Not sure which one is right, but from what I know this should not be the case. In any way it should be the other way around.
    Just drive a lap with Vantage GT3 and Vantage GTE and compare. In reality those are basically the same car configured (specced) differently. To the point that you can reconfigure one to the other.

@Andregee mentioned this as well:
    Latest GT3 Updates (Includes BOP), Posts #112

Bug 10: Slip/additional lights
    Additional lights on Vantage are also not rev lights, but slip indicators.
    I think some other other cars have this wrong as well. (Bentley? Porsche? need to check that)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    TJones, Florian Dubiel, Kahel and 3 others like this.
  2. Havner

Havner Registered

Reserved

3. Davide Arduini

Davide Arduini Registered

Ferrari 488 GTE - The 2nd and 3rd rpm leds from the left light up simultaneously, while on the 488 GT3 (and in reality) they are separate.

4. Havner

Havner Registered

Yeah, this goes to the big bag of wrongly implemented rev lights. Every single one of them should be reviewed and fixed.

5. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

I dont know if it is a bug or more of a missing feature. But coming from ACC I really miss some ambient lighting inside the cockpits when driving at night. Would add greatly to the immersion.

R.Noctua and Havner like this.
  6. Tim Neuendorf

Tim Neuendorf Registered

According to the Aston Martin website, the Vantage GTE has a 100l fuel tank and the Vantage GT3 a 120l fuel tank.
    https://www2.astonmartin.com/en/racing/race-cars/vantage-gte
    https://www2.astonmartin.com/en/racing/race-cars/vantage-gt3
    Audi R8 GT3 has also 120l:
    https://www.audi.com/en/experience-audi/audi-sport/audi-racing-models/r8-lms-gt3.html

But it is hard to get exact data, because of BoP..

7. Havner

Havner Registered

But I was talking about fuel consumption (e.g. liters used per lap), not fuel capacity.

All GT3 has ~120 liters tank, while all GTE has ~100 (or slightly less). That's normal.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  8. Tom Lory

Tom Lory Registered

Our series runs 25 minute and 60 minute sprint races with the S397 GT3 cars.

Real life GT3 is commonly 60 minutes with a mandatory stop for tires and driver swap (for two driver entries) but no refueling allowed.

We've disappointingly found that all of the cars that are currently being raced by our group (Radical, Corvette, BMW, Porsche and one or the other Bentley) have excessive fuel consumption (or fuel tanks that are too small) as every driver has had to conserve fuel by either turning the fuel all the way down and/or short shifting to make it to the end of a 60 minute SPRINT race. I do the formation lap in 6th gear, lowest fuel setting, cut engine and coast, run on #1 or #2 fuel setting and still have had to back off on the last lap to cross the finish line with no fuel left.

For our next 60 minute round we're changing to a hybrid of the real world rules with a mandatory stop for tires but allowing the addition of fuel.

Back in the rF1 days, I did the majority of the BOP for our club. Fuel consumption is simple to get right. Test at the highest fuel consumption track with aero settings at their highest drag positions and adjust the fuel consumption number so that all of the cars can complete a 60 minute race distance. If you know the fuel consumption, it's simple math to adjust the fuel number to get the desired result. You can BOP from there if it makes sense by reducing fuel consumption.

9. Havner

Havner Registered

Yep, bug 9, fuel tanks are fine (120), but fuel consumption is too high. Has been mentioned long time ago. Since then there were several GT3 patches. Not fixed. Like countless other bugs.

Florian Dubiel likes this.
  10. Tom Lory

Tom Lory Registered

I see that there's a new BOP update including fuel consumption.

Any step in the right direction is good but I can't see how the S397 team can BOP with some really technical parameters to a very fine point when some of the cars have horrible gearing; it's impossible to BOP when one car is on the rev limiter in 6th gear and another is still in 5th.

I had faith in S397 before our first GT3 season expecting expertly done cars but at our penultimate round on Feb 21 I was angry with my car for the first time ever in over 8 years of sim racing when I realized that I wasn't coming close to using 6th gear at Sebring while being seriously compromised at every key corner on the track, either on the limiter in one gear or below the power in the next. Other cars were well into 6th gear.

Before we race them again (almost an IF at this point), we'll be testing more thoroughly but when we first bought into them this year, from the casual I just want to see the cockpit view and hear the noises they make standpoint, for sure one of the Bentleys was clearly geared way too short and, after a season with it, it feels like the Radical may be geared too tall. It's fine for one car or another to be between gears at one corner or another at one track or another but in top gear they all need to be within the same percentage of their power peak.

Just like fuel consumption, overall gearing is pretty easy to get right or at least balanced. With the lowest drag settings, max power (fuel) setting and the track with the highest top speed, set 6th (7th, 8th whatever is the highest) gear and the final drive to reach top speed at the HP peak. None of the cars should have gearing taller than that. The gear spread is much more difficult but for realism there could be the real world rule book and homologation to justify the simplicity copying what the real cars have. Making it possible for each car to have decent gearing at every track is balance. One car having good gearing at one track while another's is bad is not balance.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  11. Florian Dubiel

Florian Dubiel Registered

Dashboards are broken since years?