rFactor 2 starting and shutting down, although on Steam it remains as started.

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by JParra, Feb 3, 2021.

1. JParra

JParra Registered

Hello community.
    I'm having problems today with my rFactor2 when it was working correctly yesterday, no update or mod changes from yesterday.

The problem is that I start rFactor, either from the Steam library or from the usual link. In both cases it seems to start, sometimes it shows a blank screen and it seems that it is going to start, but not others. In the end it always ends up disappearing.

It does not throw an error window and in Steam it appears as "Running". In fact, I have to close Steam from the task admin to be able to try again, because if not, Steam tells me that there is already a rfactor running.

I have activated the Log with Trace = 4 and the only errors are from loading videos that never existed. I don't know what else I can look at in this file, everything seems normal until the end.

13.43s MovieMan.cpp 134: Error locating video file ISILOGO.BIK
    13.43s MovieMan.cpp 134: Error locating video file ISILOGO.BIK
    13.43s vidman.cpp 1293: Trying to Play Video File: NASCAR SuperCup 2021.bik
    13.43s MovieMan.cpp 134: Error locating video file NASCAR SUPERCUP 2021.BIK
    13.43s MovieMan.cpp 134: Error locating video file NASCAR SUPERCUP 2021.BIK
    13.43s vidman.cpp 1293: Trying to Play Video File: PreGame.avi
    13.43s MovieMan.cpp 144: Error opening AVI file PREGAME.AVI
    13.43s MovieMan.cpp 144: Error opening AVI file PREGAME.AVI

I have tried deleting the Shaders and CBash folders.

I have tried uninstalling all Mods and components.

I have tried different resolutions and graphics settings.

I am running out of ideas, so any help will be well received. Tonight is the last race of the competition in my community.

2. Jason Whited

Jason Whited Registered

Try moving your plr.json file out of rF2 and let the game build a new .json.
    Sometimes it seems this file gets corrupted (or something) and the symptoms you describe line up with what happens when said file is corrupted.

3. JParra

JParra Registered

I have also updated the graphics card drivers (after starting with the problems) and I have a clean operating system, since I use rF2 in VR and my PC is always clean and controlled to have the best possible performance.

I don't do the tests with VR. I have only tried in "monitor" mode

4. JParra

JParra Registered

I have done what you ask and upon entering he asked me for a new name and Nick.

Now rFactor is validating Workshop items on Steam. I don't know why, I had unsubscribed from all the articles and Steam has put them back in my workshop. SEVEN PAGES OF ITEMS !!! some of them that I had not already subscribed for a long time.

I'll wait for it to finish to draw conclusions.

Thanks for the help.

5. Jason Whited

Jason Whited Registered

Some items (ISI and S397 content) cannot be unsubbed. Well, I think you can but you have to change some settings about auto updates to workshop items, etc. So if you unsubbed that type of content it will resubscribe itself when you launch the game again.

6. JParra

JParra Registered

It works again. I'm almost 100% sure the problem is in the Steam WorkShop.

This is what I have done, maybe something is not necessary. Although I do not put everything I have tried either.

1. I have unsubscribed from all the articles in the Workshop.
    2. I have uninstalled everything I had in the Mod Manager.
    3. I have checked that there is nothing left in the installed directory.
    4. I have moved all the files in the packages folder to another location. By simply saving them.
    5. I have gone to the folder where the Workshop is installed and I have deleted everything

7. JParra

JParra Registered

There is only one small problem left to solve.

Although I quit rFactor 2 without problems, on Steam it stays as "Running" and I can't start it again if I don't close Steam from the Task Manager.

Is this a known issue?

[​IMG]

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

2 causes I know of (might be others):
    • A plugin not exiting properly
    • Other software being started in association with rF2 that doesn't get closed afterwards (Logitech gaming software can do it, for example)
    It may be helpful to create a trace file and attach it here. (not just the lines you think might be an issue)

9. JParra

JParra Registered

Hi.
    I just started and shut down with no problems.
    First just enter and immediately exit.
    Then enter a "heavy" Mod like Endurance by Enduracers and it has come out without problems.
    And finally to the same mod and track as last night when I was having trouble and it also came out correctly.

Everything was the same as last night, except I did not start it in VR and I did not have the steering wheel connected. Therefore, as you say, it is possible that the problem is in the Logitech Controller plugin.

Tonight I will try both VR and steering wheel and see the result. If the error recurs, I will reinstall the Logitech software to see if that may be the problem.

I will continue to report. Thank you very much.