[REL] Keimola Motor Stadium Conversion to Rfactor 2

Discussion in 'Locations' started by EmperorOfFinland, Jan 27, 2021.

1. TTM

TTM Registered

I’m happy to see Keimola on rF2. :) I have/had plans to do track completely from scratch based on lidar data. You can see old track from it, but at the moment i just don’t have enough free time to create Keimola.

pascom, EmperorOfFinland and Mauro like this.
  2. EmperorOfFinland

EmperorOfFinland Registered

Yeah this will work as substitute for the meanwhile. i will probably throw some Meshupgrades after i get textures working and upgraded to fix couple holes on the map. the 0.91 update is progressing well though. im currently ai upscaling the textures. so we have better textures for the road itself. and i will release it in couple hours.

S.victor has couple good tutorials on how to merge meshes and how to enchance them so i will be using thouse techniques on the track itself

Corti, pascom and Mauro like this.
  3. EmperorOfFinland

0.91 Patch is out.

Changelog:
    Version 0.91 updates the textures with albedo maps and also fixes the shadowing bug on the map itself. also new realroad presets are added so they should be working now as intended. Loading picture was changed so loadingbar does not overlap the names on the trackmakers. Also wetweather reflections work correctly now.

Thanks for corti and S.victor for helping me with the update and providing help and files for me to do it.

jimagn, pascom, Corti and 1 other person like this.
  4. EmperorOfFinland

So plan for the 0.92 is to fix the trees and kupla rotating correctly, (When i made them billboards they started rotating around the middlepoint on the map so i expect to need the pivotpoints to be where they are instead on the middle of the map.)
    Tweak the edges of the road during rain, And also try the s.victor's technique on merging the meshes to make sure the map does not have any holes on it. there is one corner where the fix is needed and on couple other places on the map itself. And redo the roadsurfacemesh. I will probably try to get better asphalt textures for the release too.

As the track is now pretty stable and in okay working order i can focus on things that will take longer, like the mesh.

jimagn, pascom, Corti and 1 other person like this.
  5. EmperorOfFinland

However the only problem is how i will get the model into blender as i dont have 3ds max. the blender plugin is not really wanting to work with me on exporting the SCN file

6. EmperorOfFinland

So i wonder how i would go subdividing and noising the surface with blender. im reading the svictor tutorial on it but it seems that its turning out to be harder than i thinked it to be. problems being i dont know how to smooth the corners on the track. i know how to subdivide

so if svictor or anyone else who knows blender could run me through with how to smooth and curve the mesh using Blender's LoopTools addon("Relax" function).

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  7. Esa Ahonen

Esa Ahonen Registered

Thank you for doing this. Keimola is The track I've been missing in modern sims after most of the current Finnish tracks are available. Tämä on kulttuuriteko :)

I'm looking forward for all the improvements.

8. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Jos vain riittävän korkealla laadulla, tämä olisi tosiaankin kulttuuriteko...:D

Maybe Kymiring next..?

9. TTM

TTM Registered

Sorry about finnish... Kymiring on jo tehty AC:lle, ratayhtiön käyttöön tosin ja olisi ollut hieno tehdä se myös rF2, mutta siihen ei ole lupaa. Youtubesta löytyy virtuaaliradasta video, rataa käytettiin Formula Academy Finlandin, Formula Esports sarjassa. ;)

pkelly likes this.
  10. EmperorOfFinland

I should still work out the pitcrews for the track and redo the mesh. i have atleast splitted the meshes on blender already so i just need to combine them and subdivide them. then rework the mesh for the track. it should be relatively easy work to do once i know how to do it. Albeit i have a simleague race today so no work on the track today.

Hazi, pascom and Mauro like this.
  11. EmperorOfFinland

So i have been thinking about how to do the mesh itself but it seems that i have couple problems on it as i dont exactly know how to do it properly despite reading tutorials about it with blender. as i have last time used blender when i was studying couple years ago it will take time to master it.

Main problem being i dont know how to make the corners smooth and how to subdivide and combine the meshpieces so i can curve it properly for the corners as when i try to subdivide and smooth corners the mesh breaks.

So if someone has an idea how to do it properly i can learn from that and get into the work so the mesh gets reworked as i do have time to rework stuff currently.

12. TTM

TTM Registered

Check Targa Fiorio wip thread and page 34. I can’t help more, because i don’t use blender.

13. EmperorOfFinland

i checked the thing and tried to work it out but there is no explanation on how to do the curves itself as that is rather new idea on how to do them. i can get the mesh splitted up with subdivide but i also dont know how to add noise and uneveness on the mesh itself. otherwise the track will become too smooth. As the noising of the track is not mentioned there in detail i have no idea what would actually be the way to do it in blender.

As a result it leaves stuff like this from the mesh Keimolablend.png

Meaning the endresult is completely useless for my purposes and until this gets solved i cant really rework the mesh on my own. i could subdivide the tracksurface but i would like to add noise to it and make it bit more uneven but i dont know how to noise it up or make it more uneven. but that would still leave the corners not being smooth and i would like to fix that as well if im going to fix the mesh in the first place.

It sorta frustrates me since i have plenty of time to fix it but as i dont know how to fix the corners. The release could be done in couple days probably as im able to work fulltime on it atleast now.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  14. anthing

anthing Registered

Is there any tool for "paint" the noise (height) of the polys in Blender? Haven't really used blender so much so I don't know.
    Is the road mesh attached to the roadside mesh when you smoothen it? I believe those caps appear if they are not attached..

15. EmperorOfFinland

Since my own experience on blender is limited to the small simple things i did when i was studying i have 0 idea on how to do such things. i have readed some writeups on that but there is no allcontained writeup about them.

so this is how svictor explained how it should be done

''My usual steps for reconstructing surface in Blender:

1. select the object and press "Tab" to enter "Edit mode". (may want to merge separated objects together first)

2. press "a" to select all vertices, press "m", select "By Distance", then adjust "Merge Distance" value carefully until all gaps are closed. (has to be done, otherwise face merging and loop cut may not work)

3. a few ways to merge triangle faces to quad face (has to be the same material):

a) select all vertices, then from menu select "Face" > "Tris to Quads", or by pressing "Alt+J" to convert all faces to quad.

b) manually select 2 connected triangle faces and press "F" to merge them into a quad face.

c) in case of some remained vertices, manually select 2 connected triangle faces and press "X", then select "Dissolve Faces" and check "Dissolve Verts" box. Or, merge face first, then select those unwanted vertices and press "X" > "Dissolve Vertices".

d) "Slide Vertices" (Shift+V) is also great way to fix some complex issue with face merging.

4. Use "Loop Cut" (Shift+R) to subdivide the face.''

Im also wondering could i just subdivide the surface with subdivide tool on blender.

However he did not explain on the post how to do this.

''finally found a way to bend/smooth flat edges, using Blender's LoopTools addon("Relax" function):''

[​IMG]

As im mostly after of the the smooth curves. i can already subdivide the track itself but the corners will not be smooth without this trick.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    millen, svictor, Corti and 2 others like this.
  16. EmperorOfFinland

Okay i managed to realise how the bending is done. Blender looptools relax.gif This gif should explain how its done

Keimola Blenderfix.png

And this is the endresult of the thing.

So that means i know how to subdivide the surface as it should be. Now the only question is that do i have to do it manually or can i simply just use subdivide command to split it up

Hazi, Mauro and Corti like this.
  17. EmperorOfFinland

Now the only thing to do is to merge the edges somehow. so they merge exactly to the point itself
    Keimola Merging Edges.png
    Googling gives up on how to merge 2 meshes together but i want to keep them seperate but just have the edges merged up.

But once i figure this out i know how to do a basic mesh, then i only need to know how to noise it up and give it crossfall and stuff like that.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    svictor, jimagn, Mauro and 2 others like this.
  18. svictor

svictor Registered

Great progress, sorry I couldn't find time to reply recently.

Here is method on how to merge "low poly" edge with "subdivided" road mesh edge, as I have been doing with Targa florio:
    (I use blender v2.8+ for example)

Step 1: Select the 2 connected node of "low poly" edge,
    001.jpg
    Step 2: Right click mouse and select Subdivide, then set amount cuts that match the road mesh edge,
    002.jpg

Step 3: Enable snapping (vertex), then just select each node and move close to the road mesh node and will snap onto it. Repeat this until you fixed all gap (this is very time consuming unfortunately),
    003.jpg

------------------------------
    However, there is a slightly easier way, what you need to do first is:

Step 1: Select the each node of "low poly" edge, and snap them to the nearby "subdivided" road mesh edge,
    004.jpg

Step 2: Select the 2 connected node of "low poly" edge, and subdivide them (that match the amount road mesh), then select all those nodes and Press "m" > "By distance",
    005.jpg

Step 3: you will need to adjust the value of "Merge distance" until all the nodes merged together,
    006.jpg

--------------------------------
    For road noise, what I usually do is:

Step 1: Select all subdivided road mesh nodes, but deselect all the edge nodes, this way will make sure that edge will not be distorted by randomization; then right click mouse and select Randomize Vertices,
    007.jpg

Step 2: adjust Amount value until you feel good,
    008.jpg

Step 3: This is an optional step (as I have used this method for targa florio and willow spring), instead of randomize every node, you can partially select some of the nodes to perform Randomize Vertices, which may help bring more variation (as you can repeat this progress multiply times with different amount selection and randomization),
    009.jpg

Good luck.

Edit: Here is also a great tutorial by LilSki for adding advanced road bumps ( https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...n-track-making-plus-tips.122794/#post-2256509 )

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
    atomed, Myrvold, millen and 7 others like this.
  19. EmperorOfFinland

Thankyou svictor for helping with this. :) i think this should be saved on another thread too on how people can work the tracks with blender so we have more tracks to race on as i think if blender was an option it would mean people would have easier entry into refurbishing the tracks.

I will read this and start my work today with it.

pascom, jimagn, bears and 3 others like this.
  20. jimagn

jimagn Registered

Agreed. This whole thread should probably be at least linked to from the Modding section.

Hazi, Mauro, pascom and 1 other person like this.