rFactor 2 Online Tools by Chris “redapg”

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Slow Motion, Oct 11, 2016.

1. redapg

redapg Registered

Just as an Information.
    Today i switched the php Version, that the Host uses, from 5.6 to 7.4.
    Please report here, if any Problems with the Tools appear now. :)
    Thank you

Corti, Mauro and lagg like this.
  2. redapg

redapg Registered

I have added a new Tool that you might find useful too. :)
    While building the no Chicane Version of the S397 Le Mans Track, i wanted to add some Guardrails, where the Chicanes have been.
    And maybe i'll do it with a later Update.
    What always is a bit complicated with DLC Tracks, is to position Objects.
    I normally use the Waypoint Coordinates of the AIW File, to find the correct Positions.
    But i also thought, that it could be helpful to get the Shape of the Tracks Road into 3DSMax.
    Unfortunately i'm no Programmer, so i did search the Web to find some 3DSMax Script Snippets, that could import a Text File with XYZ Coordinates to build a Spline out of it.
    Now i could put together such a Script and i have written a new Script, that extracts the Waypoint Coordinates of the main Path and writes these into an Text File (File Extension is .coord).
    This File can be imported with the small Script and it creates a Spline out of it.
    I have tested it with 3DSMax 2012 and 2021 and it works with both.
    If you use the Tool, you get the Link, to download the 3DSMax Script, on the last Page, when you download the *.coord File.
    When you generate a Poly Line with that Spline, you don't get the 100% Road Shape of the original Track, of course, but it's better than nothing. :)

McFlex, svictor, Hazi and 4 others like this.
  3. philrob

philrob Registered

Very interesting as i am working on the VLM 1986 ( no chicane) version and updating shaders , textures, objects, lighting etc.I had not thought of this type of tool.Much appreciated like all the rest.

Arnaud Plume, svictor, Hazi and 3 others like this.
  4. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

don't know if I misunderstood, but wouldn't that also work in the opposite direction too? of course with some additional work... :oops:
    am thinking of importing AIW to a 3D editor, do edits, and export to AIW again. unfortunately I'm no programmer too :D

5. redapg

redapg Registered

People like you and me, that want to get Things working in a specific Way, but that are no Programmers, have a "small" Disadvantage. :)
    But with some Patience and a lot of Web-Search, you sometimes can make what you want to do.
    In your Case, i would like to ask what you want to edit in the AIW File, that has to be done in a 3D Software?

6. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Well, have you ever done an AIW in the game!?:D Just compare that convenience with that of doing splines/curves in 3D software!
    Jokes aside, I believe that it would be very handy to build a track and at the same time also the AIW stuff. IIRC you can already do something similar for AC ;) and there are couple of scripts for Blender on RD if I'm not mistaken.

7. redapg

redapg Registered

Yes, i always do AIW Editing or build new AIW Files, in the DevMode. :)
    Did you ever edit some Position Values of a FASTEST Path (for Example) by Hand in the AIW File and tried out if it works?
    I haven't tried that yet, but when i correct the Lines manually in the AIW Editor, for Example at the PitOut, that the Cars join the Path smoothly, i always have to use the "normalize Curve" Function.
    If i don't do it, the Cars slow down at the moved Part of the Line sometimes.
    So i think that also the Orientation Values are important and if that can be set properly in a 3D Software...
    I don't think so. :)
    But i can be wrong of course.
    Do you know an AIW File that was not made in the rF2 AIW Editor (or the old rF1 3rd Party AIW Editors, that did work properly, if i remember it right) and that works properly?

8. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Smoothing is best practice here, I think this is also noted in the dev guide, or at least I was told to do so in @t0p5ecret 's tutorials.
    Orientation of course is an elementary feature of curves. They are connected vectors with three dimensions. Guess the main challenge will be how to transfer the coordinates from 3D to the AIW and vice versa.
    Here is the doc of curves in Blender. There are endless opportunities that scream for beeing used in a AIW scenario :D:D

9. redapg

redapg Registered

Sorry, i use 3DSMax only. :)

10. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Sry for double post, mist half of the questions!
    I'm not sure if there was any editor other than Bob's Track Builder that actually was capable of doing rF AIW files properly :oops: and even Bob wasn't perfect at all...

11. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Dare you! :p

12. redapg

redapg Registered

No, i'm too old to start something new with 3D Modelling now.
    And why should i begin to work with another Software, while i am only 5 % familiar with the current one? :D

13. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

See it that way: 5% is close to nothing - nothing to care about to lose! :D and you need to keep the old grey matter active anyway :p

14. redapg

redapg Registered

If i start with a new Software now and need the same Time again, that it needed for me to get the 5% in 3DSMax, i will reach only 2 % with the new Software, before i'm going to die.
    That really don't worth it. :D:D
    This is only 1 Hobby of me. ;)

15. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Ich geb auf... erstmal :p

16. redapg

redapg Registered

Danke. :)
    Thank you. :)
    And seriously, i did try out Blender a while ago, but stopped with it after some Days, because for me it really don't worth it to start by 0 again.
    I'm 60 Years old and to learn new Things gets harder and harder, the older i get.

17. redapg

redapg Registered

While playing around with my new Tools Script, i have expanded it a little bit.
    Now you can download the File with the XYZ Coordinates of the main Path, the Pit Path and also the Pit and Grid Spots.
    To import these Files into 3DSMax, needs also a new Script, that, as before, can be downloaded on the last Site of the Tools Script.
    You can delete the former Script, if you use the new one.
    The main and Pit Path Files create a Line in 3DSMax and the Pit and Grid Position File creates a small Cylinder on each Position.

Garitt Gibsn likes this.
  18. Garitt Gibsn

Garitt Gibsn Registered

Hi redapg,
    your online tool is great.
    Got the coordinates from a XXX.AIW. Then the XXX.COORD was renamed to XXX.CSV and in Excel
    the spaces are replaced by commas.
    Now we can also use this in the Race Track Builder.

Keep it up

redapg and Corti like this.
  19. redapg

redapg Registered

Thank you. :)
    If you want, i can add an Option, to get a .csv File too.
    The Format 1000,2000,3000 without Spaces is OK?

20. Garitt Gibsn

Garitt Gibsn Registered

Hi, it's so easy to replace yourself. Duration approx. 1 minute
    but THX