rF2 Multiple installs on Steam (Tutorial)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by danalm, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Download of Workshop items with SteamCmd seems not working, i`m getting allways just a 2 byte file...

2. Week

Week Registered

I follow all the steps, but when I reach step 10 it gives me error "can not find steamcmd.exe"

3. Navigator

Navigator Registered

@danalm

Thanks mate, this got me the second install I wanted.

But now I wonder; if I go to steam and click for the open Beta, it does only the original install, right?
    How can I update the second install?

Your tut is very good; I got it working and that should be the benchmark; if I understand, everyone will ;)
    Btw, I also had to click in the path of that second .exe and I had it unzipped right next to the first. But no problem there of course.

Again, thanks man, very nice!

4. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Thank you , great tutorial .

5. Navigator

Navigator Registered

I withdraw my question.

I noticed that subscribing to workshop items, doesn't give me that mod anymore. Not in the original, not in the second.
    I also got the message that there was a problem; the game had been played on another system and synchronising was some kind of problem. If I were to continue, progress might get lost.

I deleted the complete second install, but still no content comes in when I subscribe.
    So, my install may be broke?

Does anyone have an idea of what I can do now besides doing a complete new install? :(

6. lamck

lamck Registered

Have you tried the "Verify Integrity of Game Files" to repair the original copy?

To run 2nd or 3rd ... install properly, you need to run steam first, it will login in your account, then run the launcher.exe of the install you want. It will update the workshop content automatically.

If you run launcher.exe of other install directly, it will not login to the steam account and workshop content update will not occur.

7. Sento Siete

Sento Siete Registered

Same for me, what must we do?

8. danalm

danalm Registered

Did you download and extract the steamcmd.exe?

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Thanks for the tutorial, I got as far as:
    Please note though, that there are some shortcomings with this method. For one, subscribing to Workshop items will sync the content on all installed rF2 copies.

Has anyone found a way to have one install with Workshop content and a 2nd with Vanilla/Blank and then able to install selected content to that 2nd install?
    Thanks.

10. Hugh Crummond

Hugh Crummond Registered

I was thinking about doing this very thing today but wasn’t sure if it was as easy as it used to be with rf1.

Certain cars work well with certain tracks, then today I was noticing huge performance highs & lows while running oculus vr

The multiple install was always a good thing with rf1, and reading this.. great news for me & rf2

Thanks for the info..
    However, my evening with nothing planned has just been danced all over ;)

as reported by others, cannot find cmd error...

oh well, I may uninstall / reinstall a vanilla and just copy it

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  11. KostasGR

KostasGR Registered

First of all, nice tutorial. I followed it before 7 months and I had two versions of rF2 easily done!
    Now at the tutorial you are saying that all the installations will sync-up with Workshop Content and you are suggesting a method for not doing that.
    I believe that I found a better solution. I am using one installation for racing at FSR,SRC Academy etc. and another installation to race in another league which uses .rfcmp files and not "workshop content" subscription. Like you said if i open the other league installation I will end up stacking the workshop content mods. Well what I did is that before opening the second installation I will go to Steam and Go Offline...Then the Steam will go to offline mode and if you open whatever installation (even the official one) it will just not sync-up with the workshop content... Half of a problem solved... So what about if you need some workshop content to the second installation. Well then comes the method you said. Subscribe-->Transfer .rfcmp-->Unsubscribe...

12. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Guys, sorry if it is not appropriate for this thread but it is kind of related. I am followinng this https://docs.studio-397.com/users-guide/in-full-control-managing-your-steam-install-manually

and I am stuck at the last step. I am trying to pass "offline" and "-workshop" parameters to launcher, but it won't start. If I pass parameters to rF2.exe, it would launch launcher of the primary rF2 install, and that's not what I want.

I am trying to set up separate rF2 install for community content that does not render correctly since b1118. Any suggestions? Anyone got a b1117 separate install working? Cheers!

13. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Code:
    Bin64\rFactor2.exe  +singleplayer +path=".."

14. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

thanks, but that still launches the launcher from the main steam install.

EDIT: got it working. I think I made two mistakes: specified wrong build and ran Launcher without steam running.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  15. machine

machine Registered

I have a feeling that running the 2nd install (installed by SteamCMD) is now broken. Whenever I try to run this install now, it runs the primary install. And throws an error " =path=".." +workshopsync ". Anyone who still has 2nd install working, please answer how?

16. Goanna

Goanna Registered

I have only one install, I used to get the same error as you and solved it by running steam as admin. Dunno if that will help with a 2nd install though, worth a try maybe.

17. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

I have build 1122 with only Apex GT3 and URD T5 2012 in it, I created a shortcut to launcher and uninstalled full build. This as a shortcut seem to work: C:\Games\rF2\Launcher\Launch rFactor.exe" offline -workshop

18. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Same here. I cant get working a pre-newui steamcmd install.

19. machine

machine Registered

I don't think it is UI related. I had not ran my game for a few weeks. It worked when before, now it does not. I did not update. I have gone back to old ui, still does not work. Let's see who else has same problem.

20. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Would that a correct cmd:
    Code:
    steamcmd +login [user] [Password] +force_install_dir "E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\rfactor2_stcmd" +app_update 365960 validate -beta old-ui +quit
    to get the latest rF2 version with the old ui installed?

//Edit: just want to add, with that installation the game starts with the new ui...

Target: "E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\rfactor2_stcmd\Bin64\rFactor2.exe"

Working Dir: "E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\rfactor2_stcmd"

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021