RFactor 2 Advanced Car Set up Guide

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by David O'Reilly, Sep 13, 2015.

1. tommy737

tommy737 Registered

Hi All/David

First of all please let me thank you for your guide, as I'm a complete newbie of this world, the guide was exactly what I needed to undestand the principles of car setup.

Don't know if this comes against the rules of the community, but I'll try to post amessage coming from a different internet site as I'm honestly getting confusing regarding diff lock setting so I really hope somebody else could help me to understand my doubts....

Other site statement
    Power-diff: High values=over-steer behaviour, Low values=under-steer behaviour.
    Coast-diff: High values=Under-steer behaviour, Low values=Over-steer behaviour.

To complete this:

Well, as a poor driver, I'm trying to chase the truth by myself making test and different run (SPA, using Formula Renault 3.5 as it comes on the sim). Closing the diff power (100%) car does not oversteer so quickly but tyre wear highly increases and this should confirm what David explains on the guide, but my question is...

how is that possible such a video on youtube explaining exactly the opposite? Any possibilities the other sim uses opposite scale? I do believe lock means lock (100%) so an increase on diff power should bring the car towards Understeer, and not oversteer as stated just above.

I have been also checking at the beginning of this topic some topic related to this, so do we have (as a magic number of setup does not exist) which is the right direction on setting up a car with diff?

Hope it makes sense
    Cheers
    T

2. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

@tommy737
    In my view the other site statement
    "Other site statement
    Power-diff: High values=over-steer behaviour, Low values=under-steer behaviour.
    Coast-diff: High values=Under-steer behaviour, Low values=Over-steer behaviour."

Is a bit confusing, do they mean to deal with oversteer behaviour or to create oversteer behaviour?
    They also maintain that more diff lock or less diff lock does the opposite thing on power vs coast.

My view is explained completely in the guide but to "ad lib" some reply here.
    Increasing diff lock makes the car go straighter in corners, as the freedom of the wheels to rotate at different speeds is reduced and that freedom is what lets the car turn more. There are some very good video links in the guide explaining this by starting at the fundamental function of a diff.
    Making the car go straighter is reducing oversteer. So increasing diff lock reduces oversteer.
    On power side it does it on throttle (mid corner and corner exit on throttle).
    On coast side it does it off throttle (so under brakes).
    Pre-load does it all the time.

If you ever saw a car in the days before limited slip diffs were available (another name for a diff that locks a bit) you would see the loaded outside wheel gripping and the unloaded inside wheel spinning. This created oversteer.

That video is a bit long and slow moving for me to watch 18 mins on that one topic-sorry. But I smiled as I raced Snetterton IRL 2 weeks ago and that's where the opening sequences were.

As a rule of thumb you need to set diff lock as low as possible to reduce front wear. More lock means the fronts are fighting the diff as they try to turn the car.
    So first get the chassis balance right (springs-dampers) for mid corner. Then play with diff in the transitional parts (entry -Coast and exit-Power). Start with none. Only add to solve oversteer that is occurring.

Lars likes this.
  3. Phoentje

Phoentje Registered

Hi David. Send you a request trough PayPal. Forgot to mention my email address. Did ya receive it?

David O'Reilly likes this.
  4. David O'Reilly

Yes I think it's sent now (Monday).
    I was away from Friday at Donnington.

5. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Registered

The printed version is only English i think?
    What's the price to Germany with Porto and Package?
    Cheers
    Chris

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  6. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Registered

Thank you looks really helpful. I think I must print this....
    DC

7. David O'Reilly

Fellow Sim racers.
    Follwing a summer of real life racing where I put these theories to the test at Donnington Park GP, Anglesy, Oulton Park, Snetterton and Silverstone International, The Sim racers Performance Guide has had a small freshen up.
    There is an added paragraph on ride height which I will insert here for the convenience of customers.
    Aside from that it has had some grammar tidy ups (e.g. and i.e. vs EG or IE) a new logo added to the cover and a tiny update on the author.
    I let my creative forces run free with the logo/shield. I hope you like it. It represents What we measure, what we control and underneath the changes we can make and where they contact the road!! :)
    If you have the guide already you are welcome to the update at no cost but if convenient you can just make a note of the ride height details below.
    Page 17 "Chassis adjustment-Ride height"
    "Also changing the ride height at one end will move grip around e.g. if you raise one end it will add grip to the other and vice versa. This can be very handy if other suspension adjustments are limited. On cars without aero this is simple. If cars have underbody aero it gets more complicated."
    SimRacers Guide Cover with shieldV3_flattened.jpg

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  8. David O'Reilly

Here is some more blurb updated from last years refresh.

The guide will now run to about 74 pages and include driver skills and strategy.
    There a lot of video links to help you, (prob 20 hours or so but who's counting) to illustrate points and to take away the boredom of just reading my ramblings. Some are bespoke, some existing ones.
    The forum link below takes you to two of the videos we have created to support the guide.

Pricing; The thorny issue of pricing must be addressed.
    • Firstly the old version is still available for sale and is still €5.
    • The New Guide will be launched @ €10 (or £8).
    • If you bought the old one you can get the updated one by simply paying the difference of €5.
    • If you were one of the amazing people who just out of the kindness of your heart paid me €25 or €30 for your copy of the original guide or paid for multiple copies for your team (instead of pirating) you get yours for free.
    • If you are a modder in this community who has created free of charge assets that we can all enjoy; be they cars, tracks or plugins then you get yours for free as well.
    • For everybody else, the investment in your knowledge and development is €10. (cheaper than 3 issues of motorsport or about the price of 2 coffees).
    Please can we avoid the massive debates about "everything should be free, it's a ripoff" etc. :) (If you want the entertainment it all happened 2 years ago earlier in this thread). If you deserve a free one (see list above) you get a free one. If not then we welcome and appreciate your patronage @€10 or alternately respect your consumer right to walk away.

To order you simply send the purchase price to my paypal
    davidporeilly@hotmail.com
    Ensure your email is quoted correctly.
    If you are one of the generous people listed above then just let me know the story or send me a receipt.

Merry Xmas to all sim racers.
    David

makan, davehenrie and Filip like this.
  9. Hulk001

Hulk001 Registered

Hi there, pretty new to all this I want to ...

Add these settings to a car The Brabham FJunior BT6

Spring Rate 275 Lbf/in 300 Lbf/in
    Ride Height 67 mm under front bulkhead
    just above bodywork
    70 mm under rear of chassis
    under triangulation tubes
    Static Camber -1.75 Degrees -0.75 Degrees
    Droop
    Minimum 15 mm at dampers
    at SRH (also fit droop
    restrictor tab if possible)
    Minimum 35 mm
    Castor 4.5 degrees N/A
    Toe** 0.2 Degrees OUT 0.25 Degrees IN
    ARB O/D 0.75 in (NEW) 0.5 in
    ARB I/D 0 in 0 in
    ARB Lever Arm* 155 mm (NEW) 185 mm (NEW)
    Dampers SEE NOTES BELOW
    Tyre Pressures
    (starting point, refine
    through temperature)
    18 psi HOT 21 psi HOT
    Bump Rubber KONI 8212 30 mm parallel KONI 8212 40 mm parallel
    Packers (Damper
    Clearance @ SRH) 9 mm 25 mm

10. 67 model

67 model Registered

11. Neario

Neario Registered

well just ordered my guide :) curious
    pretty new to sim racing.. normally used setups from interent for my racing games. but now I quess I need to learn myself. :)

12. David O'Reilly

I want to congratulate my two collaborators in these guides Kuba Brzezinski and Michi Hoyer on their drives in the amazing Lemans 24 hours Virtual.
    Kuba won outright with Rebellion Williams Esport with Nikodem Wisniewski, Loius Deletraz and Raffaele Marciello. I got to race with Kuba in the original Avid Chronic team in FSR and also to engineer for him in FSR WC. He is fast, intelligent and also very humble. He and Nikkodem have never been beaten at the 24 rs of LeMans. I am a big fan of Kuba and thrilled for both him and his team.
    Michi had to fight to get a drive and he got one deservedly. He is one of the hardest working streamers out there and always has time for his loyal viewers. He fought like a warrior to get P10 in the race with his team car #17 IDEC racing where he was the only sim driver.
    Well done guys I am proud of you.

EDIT: Michis team are inviting him as a guest to the real LeMans in September as a sign of appreciation.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    Connor, Bidle and McKiernan like this.
  13. Bidle

Bidle Registered

Can’t agree more. Great performance of Michi, wel deserved.

Connor likes this.
  14. Connor

Connor Registered

Congrats to the Champions to Studio 397 & All who got to take part .( yes there was some problems But LeMans has stoppages as well ) its a pity For #20 Team Redline & # 52 FERRARI - AF CORSE # 52 / #14 FA/RB ALLINSPORTS .. If people are complaining and crying about rf2 / studio 397 .. then they need to talk to racing teams of the real world; Toyota and the likes who went all the way just to fail at the last minute.. hence the use of expressions like " c'est la vie " & a few I couldn't repeat here but are universally used. ;)
    Well done to IDEC & fantastic that they give Michi a well deserved invite to the real thing :) good man Michi.
    Thanks to rf2 Charles Leclerc has now had his eyes opened for the Real Le Mans.. maybe with Ferrari now returning ? (fingers Crossed) if so Studio 397 can be proud of this fact & in general; what they do and continue to do like race teams and drivers all around the planet bidding for success be it real or sim they are on track looking to improve to be at the front & Studio 397 you can bet is no exception. So Fairplay & Thank You all for putting on this Great Show for which my eyes are still red , sore & light sensitive LOL.
    Go raibh maith agat ( thank you in Irish ;) )

David O'Reilly and McKiernan like this.
  15. Victor Miguelez

Victor Miguelez Registered

Hello David: Is this guide still available? If yes, should I just send you the payment through PayPal?

Thanks and looking forward to your answer

16. David O'Reilly

Hi.

Thanks for your interest.

The original RF2 guide is €5.

The expanded later version "Sim Racers Performance Guide" is €10.

I contains all the earlier one but adds more info on strategy, tactics, driver development and quite a bit of video assets.

To purchase either you send the payment to my PayPal Accnt which is

davidporeilly@hotmail.com

Ensure you note your email address and I will send it by return email.

Cheers

David

17. Andrea Baudetto

Andrea Baudetto Registered

Hi! Ive just send you 10€ via paypal, i’m really curious to read your guide!!