[REL] Keimola Motor Stadium Conversion to Rfactor 2

Discussion in 'Locations' started by EmperorOfFinland, Jan 27, 2021.

1. EmperorOfFinland

EmperorOfFinland Registered

Old currently demolished permament road circuit in Vantaa, Finland. It's a 3.300km long track with 8 corners.

Situated in Vantaa, Finland. This track was made after the tragic crash and clousure of the Eläintarharata track in 1963.
    Construction started in 1965 track was opened on 12 June 1966. The track was 3.3 km (2.1 mi) long, consisting of eight turns and a 1 km (0.62 mi) home straight. Multiple racing series, including Formula Two, Formula Vee and Interserie, raced on the track during the years it was used.
    After many years of financial difficulties, the track was abandoned in late 1978. Illegally raced afterwards the tracksurface was destroyed by the owner in 1988 after a moose accident on 10 May 1988. Deep ditches were then cut through the track at five locations.
    These were quickly filled with sand by moonlight racers, but the owner of the track area soon learned about this and destroyed the surface of the track with a plough in early 1989. This ended the racing for good.
    The track has been unsuitable for driving for many years, but some structures are left standing, such as the control tower next to the back straight and a television camera tower near turn seven. The control tower was badly damaged in a fire in 2004 and its door is sealed shut with concrete.

Currently the trackarea is a residental area and the control tower was left as a memorial for the circuit.

Trackmakers:
    Original GPL track by Jussi Kaskia, Greger Huttu and Olli Suominen.
    Converted from GPL to GTL and GTR2 by Kimmo Kokkonen.
    Rfactor 1 Conversion by Meck2.
    Rfactor 2 Conversion by EmperorOfFinland

Thanks for people at Rfactor 2 forums for helping me with this, thanks to Kimmo Kokkonen to giving me permission to convert so people can enjoy Keimola once more. Also credits go to ISI/Studio 397 for the animated trackworkers and few textures.

Downloadlink: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2377944974
    So its on the steam workshop for everyone to enjoy

1.2.2021: Patch 0.91 Is out.
    17.4.2021: Patch 0.93 Is out and the roadmesh has been remade and couple texturebugs have been fixed. i will probably go in and fix the lods to be more sane later but that should be rather easy to do
    13.5.2021: 0.95 patch has been released,
    Here is the list of improvements and fixes
    1: I fixed all the holes on the tracksides and made sure lods work as intended
    2: I readjusted the objectspawning on mirrors so its lighter in VR
    3: I redid the AIW file and did a new fastline so the cars will take much faster lines though the corner and added a blocking line so the cars block effectively now.
    4: Fixed the black lines from textures by manipulating them upwards by 1 pixel.

1.0 Released major texturerework and enabling IBL/PBR shaders for most of the track surfacetextures. So the only thing to do from now on is to add more bumps to the track but that experimentation has to be put to backburner as i cant drive enough to test it personally.

Do report back if there is something to fix from it :D

Keimola_Loading.jpg

Keimola 1.jpg

Keimola 2.jpg

Keimola 3.jpg

Keimola 4.jpg

Keimola 5.jpg

Keimola 6.jpg

Keimola 7.jpg

Keimola 8.jpg

Keimola 9.jpg

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    SRGP, svictor, coltair and 8 others like this.
  2. Mauro

Mauro Registered

I remember keimola on GPL times
    Glad to see it again

P. S. It's your first rf2's modding project?

3. EmperorOfFinland

Yeah it is. i decided to try the converting process with the tutorials from the internet and try to get it as updated as possible. Albeit i have encountered some problems with the documentation of the modding itself as there are couple things i need to find out to fix some issues with the current version. mostly moving few models. adding 3d marshalls, checking up the LOD distances optimally to make the track perform better with less powerful hardware. Fixing the Pitlights so that they work properly. And also figure out the roadgroove for the track and see does it actually work. And generate a loading images and other images for the track.

I'd say the track is 90% ready at current moment but its still in the process of testing as i finished it yesterday after a week of work and about 40-50h of work.

atomed, Mauro, pascom and 2 others like this.
  4. pkelly

pkelly Registered

Dear Emperor - Thank you - looks like a fun 'ol track for fun 'ol racers.

atomed likes this.
  5. Mauro

Mauro Registered

About lods problem andraglass in past helped me with this tips
    (I think it isn't a problem if i copy here, it could be very useful for everyone)

In my specific case
    About .scn exaple
    .scn mainview strings i could edit this
    ClipPlanes=(0.50, 10000.00)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    svictor likes this.
  6. EmperorOfFinland

Thanks for the help. i have been able to do some work on the LOD's now. and they are improving, i think in couple hours the LOD's should be fully finished so there is no popin on the textures when youre seeing them. the non cockpit view got fixed by the clipplanes command but i dont know is there a command like that for cockpit view or do i have to change the LOD's on the track, albeit the stock lods are good enough that i need only to adjust the treewalls and couple objects until thats done.

This is the list of fixes i need to do still The ones with Underline are already fixed

Realroad shaders properly working on the road.
    Put saunalenkki arch lower
    Adjust the LOD spawning.
    Fix pitlights,
    Make sure groove works.
    Fix guardrail texture
    Add cornerworkers
    Check does the AI perform well enough on the track If not redo the AIW for the track, (Pitlane AIW is already redone and they seem to be exiting the pit in good order)
    Fix the missing reflections during rain on the road, (Probably IBL shader issue as i had them working on old real road shaders)

svictor, Corti, pascom and 1 other person like this.
  7. EmperorOfFinland

So since i got told that the IBL shaders are bugged i decided to take them out. (It's easy enough to add them back in when needed and it should not be a big issue later on.

Corti likes this.
  8. EmperorOfFinland

Pitlights fixed. it was just a mistypo on the scn file itself. now it should be working as expected. So that leaves the corner workers.

However i dont know what cornerworkers to use. if anyone happens to know good 60s 70s cornerworkers it would be good.

Mauro and atomed like this.
  9. Mauro

Mauro Registered

Is it possible to use S397 60s'monza/monaco cornerworkers?

(obviously Giving credits)

10. EmperorOfFinland

oh right monaco. yeah i could use that. that seems like a good idea, also i need to credit them for few textures i loaned from the brianza and loch drummond. but i also reworked some textures

jimagn and Mauro like this.
  11. Mauro

Mauro Registered

12. EmperorOfFinland

They actually built apartmentblocks over the racetrack area during the 2010s and left just the tower standing there so the track is almost completely gone by now.

pascom likes this.
  13. pascom

pascom Registered

14. pascom

pascom Registered

[​IMG]

jimagn, pkelly, Eric Rowland and 3 others like this.
  15. Mauro

Mauro Registered

16. EmperorOfFinland

I noted that there is a issue splitting off the cornerworkers from the main models in brianza and monaco as they use same models with extra stuff and i really just need the one guy and i would have to take out the others on blender and add them in.

17. djvicious

djvicious Registered

I used to have that wheel! I got so much use out of it before switching to a G27, which I used for at least 8 years. I can say I've had good luck with Logitech gear. The one time I had a problem with a $50 mouse they ended up sending me a new one past warranty.

Mauro likes this.
  18. EmperorOfFinland

So i have a problem, i managed to get the cornerworker to the map but the worker does not animate at all. So i need to spend more time on trying to get that working as extracting the model from blender does not seem to work that well.

Otherwise the track is ready so if i get the cornerworkers to animate i can simply add them to the track, in 15-30 minutes and the track should be good for first release prettymuch after littlebit of testing from my end

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  19. Mauro

Mauro Registered

20. Corti

Corti Registered

Remember that the animations have to be the ones used in the origin of the model, sometimes I also had problems with the name of the instance, the first worker must be "_000"

Mauro likes this.