The Unrealistically Difficult Real Cars Handling Thread... or just incorrect real life physics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mantasisg, Aug 16, 2020.

1. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Spinning out at just bellow 60 mph with such a light car as 1996 Caterham Super Seven 1600 K-series Supersport. It is wrong, it should be impossible to oversteer with it at such a low speed in true reality regardless the driver inputs. At worst it should understeer because it is front engine layout car !!!

atomed likes this.
  2. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Here is one little funny video. You can se real life sucks. Tankslappers ? Lift off oversteer ? Theoretically shouldn't happen. In simulation we can go fully theoretic, thus we can not have tankslappers and lift off oversteer, thats why simulation is better than real life. Why would one want to simulate reality when we an do better ?

another one

Nieubermesch likes this.
  3. ATQ

ATQ Registered

Blatant cheating and understeer-exploit

Nieubermesch and atomed like this.
  4. atomed

atomed Member

Ban him from the servers .

5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

OMG they look so difficult to drive ! So not user friendly, realistic doesn't mean hard, reality does real wrong.

Reiche likes this.
  6. Vance Le Garde

Vance Le Garde Registered

I think a lot of the issues brought up here could be solved simply by Studio 397 or ISI in the begining had created a tyre shop for want of a better term, that everyone who makes mod had to submit a tyre file that needed to be approved by them to be used on the sim. And if you were building a car you could reference any tyre form that store or shop to use on your car when it is released after building the mod you want to use. Just my view but real world tyres do not start with zero to low grip and you have to learn to manage them or cope with them, at speed you loose grip but up to a point the car is able to grip the road. I know I suggested this back in the early stages of testing but was obviuosly not an idea that was though to be a good one, but it would measn that cars would be more consistant and reflect real world performances in regards to how cars drive. And it would enable anyone to test any tyre on any car and see what it does instead of having to modify mods to try different components like tyres.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

This thread is an ironic one, showcasing real life situations that people would probably call fake if it happened in a sim.

There is a tyre database, those tyres can (perhaps it's not ideal, but...) be used for a variety of purposes by resizing them easily in the .tgm.

I don't think we have a plethora of mods with dodgy tyres; much of the physics-related discussions are about the game as a whole, or DLC or other official content (having the same basic characteristics as those in the tyre database) and the way they behave, but much of the complaining about them isn't really based on anything concrete and can be dismissed. The remainder tends to be more about aero, or incorrect/insufficient tyre parameters.

If you think the tyres overall, or even some mods, have issues you should probably aim for one of the physics related threads rather than this one.

atomed likes this.
  8. ATQ

ATQ Registered

I think the Nürburgring acccidents are interesting, as in many of the accidents are such that I've never seen or experienced in any sim.

Like the Porsche crashing coming into Schwedenkreutz. I've tried to recreate that accident in rF2, AMS2 and AC. Not the exact same car, but still. Trying to lift off and tap on the brakes at the right moment, and I haven't managed to spin out and crash. That includes the RUF CTR2 in AC, and that car wants to kill you if you breathe wrong.

While the dynamic of sliding and suddenly gripping can throw you off, it's a lot more violent in real life. If you stay on the throttle with the wheels pointed in the wrong direction, you can almost save it in a sim. In reality you'd apparently send the car bouncing between guardrails.

This actually bothers me a bit, when bad driving isn't punished enough. I don't like having bad habits drilled into muscle memory when driving.

9. Comante

Comante Registered

You can't recreate lack of skill. You can guess how the driver ended in that situation, but you can't know how the external forces and sensations induced the driver in inputting the wrong corrections at the wrong time once the macro upsetting of the car took place.
    You can induce one or two or three wrong input in your simulated car, but then your training prevent you to keep "3$£ucking up" until the crash, but this is exactly what happen in R/L to sunday drivers.

10. atomed

atomed Member

The Nurburgring is clearly broken.

JamesB likes this.
  11. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

The Nordschleife video in some of those episodes displays insanely sudden grip-up, especially for race cars when they goes off the rails. I have heard somewhere that Nordschleife has rougher tarmac to help with more traction under rain. Tarmac roughness is a factor which contributes a lot to how tires slide and grip-up. Obviously rougher tarmac is a choice by design for more safety in wet, but in dry it shows to be causing more challenge, IMO. Other factors are of course tires, aerodynamics, suspension and chassis stiffness... That just makes me appreciate the very top drivers so much, as they are able to put cars into so much risk and keep the control. Knowledge about how bad these things can go makes great drivers really shine.

12. atomed

atomed Member

It would be very interesting to know which sections are made that way to see if it´s implemented in our official version.

13. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Car would never spin out that easily, even when decelerating over a crest. Hard to tell wether it's the tire model at fault or maybe the downforce of the rear wing has incorrect values ;). (1:22)

mantasisg and Korva7 like this.
  14. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Crap physics ! Not realistic, bad FFB - no rear end FFB, as Gamermuscle would say. Totally wrong and unrealistic this car is:

It just spins. TOO DIFFICULT !!!!

15. Love Guitars n Cars

Love Guitars n Cars Registered

He lifts at Rainey Curve and loses the rear end completely.

mantasisg likes this.
  16. green serpent

green serpent Registered

That one was super fake.

mantasisg likes this.
  17. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Makes absolutely no sense - harder doesn't mean more realistic, and no FFB from the rear, that is not proper physics.

18. green serpent

green serpent Registered

The way that the tire smoke peeled off the front tires when it spun looked pretty awesome though. Devs likely focusing too much on eye candy to appeal to the masses and not enough time spent on physics :rolleyes:

Lazza and mantasisg like this.
  19. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Those devs who works with graphics should rather spend time on making better physics ! :D And by saying better, I mean easier to all noobs and youtubers who talk and drive while streaming, because it is great way to concentrate.

Sim_Player and Richard Busch like this.
  20. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yeah I always liked that this was put into the sim in a realistic way. I don't know if it's still in there but on initial release it wasn't actually possible to finish a full race going flat-out at a high brake wear track like Montreal in the MR01 because the real life car was incapable of it as well. IMHO it's an overlooked gem in sim racing, an actual challenge.

In recent years I think the Haas cars have had fairly horrible handling and I'd wager that's a large part of the spins from all four of their recent drivers. I don't think Grosjean deserved the reputation he ended up with either. Mazepin may also simply be struggling not because he's awful, but because the car is and he's just not quite good enough to overcome it.

Sim_Player and leseb64 like this.