Poll: Is this driving realistic?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nieubermesch, Jan 23, 2021.

?

Is this driving realistic?

1. Yes

31.6%
  2. No

68.4%
  1. ATQ

ATQ Registered

I don't think it's a matter of milliseconds at low speeds like this. He'd have to be faster with the opposite lock if the tires break traction quicker, but that car takes approx. two and a half years to rotate - Autobahn-cruiser that it is - during which time he has every oppurtunity to correct the steering. Doesn't matter much how the tires grip if the wheels are pointed in the right direction when they do.
    If slow speeds like this would require fast reaction times then it would be far beyond human capabilities to save an F1 car from sliding at high speed.

2. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Holly hell, just saw what a ****storm happened here, thinking the other post was bad ahaha. At least now we know that assists aren't involved, as I suspected.

3. ATQ

ATQ Registered

I guess you could say things went a bit sideways.

Dave^ likes this.
  4. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Ahah :D:D:D;)

5. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

Yep but this is bad news actually...not for Henri of course but for tire model used in GT cars, it seems you still get huge grip even with 15° of slip angle, wtf ?

Havner and Nieubermesch like this.
  6. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Ahahaha, well, if you put it that bluntly, I also have found it really sketchy and as you can see, as I told you, what Alonso did wasn't quite the same thing :confused:

7. Alexandre Martini

Alexandre Martini Registered

let's be honest here, guys.

the physics in the video above are beyond garbage!

i'm kind of confused right now, is this what rf2 really is???

8. Slip_Angel

Slip_Angel Registered

I just want to make clear that we here are not trash talking about henri or any other alien who drive like this.
    This is not your fault that one has to drive like this to be fast.
    The objective of this whole physics discussion is to make car require "realistic " driving technique AND fix setup exploits that should not work IRL.
    Thats all, this is a consumer level sim BUT this issue is NOT small and can definitely be fixed.
    I'm sure that it can be fixed because after driving some good mods the car behaviour generally found in S397 DLC is not present or quite realistic in terms of FEELING (not sure if data is accurate as S397 though)

All this means is it is FIXABLE and cannot be hide under by saying "it is just a game " or "all sim have flaws"

This is not a small flaw this is major error. Basically no other top tier (key word is top tier don't use AC, ams etc as reference) simulator suffers from such RF2 technique and setup.. so yea asking a fix for this is definitely not unreasonable request.
    The room for improvement is quite big and should not be left alone.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  9. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

True :)

10. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Well, it is when you push the cars beyond the limits, you can still play it and sort of pretend to drive normally and those things rarely matter. The thing is one intentionally driving a cretain way will go into the "forgiving" side of physics. Snap oversteer and slides can be unforgiving, but it's more when you come from normal driving. Going for this style of driving it's predictable enough you can powerslide, kind of scandinavian flick the car into corners... It's odd. By the way, low tire pressures is where this is mostly worse.

11. Dave^

Dave^ Registered

Is it "fast" though?

Nobody seems to want to compare laptimes "cos it's not relevant", sorry but it is (IMO of course, we are still allowed those, aren't we? :p ).

I'm not convince driving as he does is actually fast. Unfortunately it's still faster than I am, but a sample of 1:1 isn't exactly conclusive evidence.

12. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

It is tires that are allowing way too much grip above a certain slip angle, it is very easy to fix since it is only a paramter in a file but since those cars are "locked", we can't do it ourselves.

It is up to S397 to fix this.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  13. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

When I said it wasn't relevant it was because this wasn't the pace of Henri or any other that was at stake, it was the steering input that wasn't punishing enough, you shouldn't be able to do this, no matter your pace.

It is so extreme that I never actually tried before all this discussion started (and don't get it wrong, it is not "easy" to do consistently so those guys are still doing something difficult) but still it is possible and it shouldn't or you should be much more punished than this.

Slip_Angel and Nieubermesch like this.
  14. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Well, really, it's not faster? Henry in his video did a lap with 3 less seconds than the other Esport guys... Guys that drive normally are probably behind them all, at least hotlap times. Have to check though.

15. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Yes, easy fix is even better ;);):)

16. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Can't lie, it's good to have more people seeing the problem too, even the ones who've been trying to explain it away and now see something is sketchy at least :)

17. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

18. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Nice, I don't know a lot about modding and what I found overwhelmed me. Just because I was of the impression they need sometimes to let the tire run a test under various conditions and then a look up table is generated because it would take too much processing power for the CPU to do it real time. But surely there are parameters that can be adjusted without that.

19. Yzangard

Yzangard Registered

This website even provides a "curvature shaping" tool as you can see :

upload_2021-1-25_18-1-43.png

Red line is the "modified" one, if we could get original tire we could check its curvature and debate would be over...

Nieubermesch likes this.
  20. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Nice stuff man ;) Are those official tools by Studio 397?