Help with Starting a Dedicated Server

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Bassman, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Bassman

Bassman Registered

Hello,

I have not opened RFactor since the summer. Today my brother and I wanted to race so we opened the program to find the new UI. Looks nice but I could not find anywhere to start a dedicated server. I used to go down to the last button on the start UI, click it and the list of my created mods appeared. I picked one, set the parameters and started the server. Easy.

Has this functionality been taken away? I see the listed of servers that are up and running. How did those people start their servers? :)

Thanks for your help.

P.S. - I tried starting the RFactor Dedicate exe but it returns and error message that no mods are installed (even though all of my dedicated servers are listed as "installed" under the content tab).

Ronnie-M5 likes this.
  2. Luis Costa

Luis Costa Registered

Hi,

Try this, it should work.

- create a shortcut of "rFactor2 Dedicated" file, that is in the Games / Steammapps / common / rfactor2 / Bin64 folder, and places it on the desktop

- in the shortcut go to properties, and edit the information in the destination field .. keep the information you have and at the end put it (space)+ path = ".."
    Depending on where rfactor 2 is installed, it should look something like this:
    "C: \ Games \ Steam \ steamapps \ common \ rFactor 2 \ Bin64 \ rFactor2 Dedicated.exe" + path = ".."

- save and try

Note: Before creating a server, open first rfactor 2, then click on the new icon (shortcut) to create the server, otherwise rfactor 2 will not open.

It works for me.

Sachmo and Ronnie-M5 like this.
  3. Bassman

Bassman Registered

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I have some questions:

1) Why was this functionality taken out of the UI?

2) I tried this and it did not work, but maybe the program was closed.

3) Does one need to make a separate shortcut for every mod or the folder where the mods are stored?

4) Which folder - "Installed" or Packages?

5) To repeat question #1 - Why is all of this back in 1990 when it used to be part of the user interface?

Thanks and frustrated...

Luis Costa and Ronnie-M5 like this.
  4. Ronnie-M5

Ronnie-M5 Registered

Hi Bassman, I´m joined to you on frustration.

Seriously, i can't understand some features proposed for Rfactor2. It is not just about not liking it, but about not being able to understand why these choices 397 made / makes.

The mod creation system for every time I perform for fun is really maddening. Mainly because we came from an engine where the thing was shown to us to be absolutely simple and effective: Download the car mod, the track, open the program, select the desired car and track, name the server, configure the session and .... VIOLÀ ! The server was up.

Now for each race, I need to create a new rfmod.
    Have I changed the track? There goes a new RFMOD.
    I changed the car and kept the track: A new RFMOD.

Generating an insane use of space on the Google drive, creating links and causing members of my simclub to have to download content, even if they have it and / or it is Workshop content.

And my simple question is: Why?

Me and all the league administrators here in Brazil agree that Rfactor 2 is the best simulator there is. This is a fact! However, this kind of thing and all the work involved in creating a simple casual run (Create an RFMOD, install RFmod, generate and share a link, etc.) is very frustrating and discouraging. What makes many leagues, even considering the RF2 a superior simulator, are opting for others, exclusively for the reasons above.

From the bottom of my heart, I hope that 397 will HEAR what the simulator's main drivers are and who "form an opinion" (Once the league chooses, it will be bought and used by hundreds of simdrivers) and build the best scenario for everyone.

I leave my contact, ronniepetersonm5@gmail.com and campeonatosclassicos@gmail.com to contact anyone from 397, including Marcel, who always attended me promptly and in a very cordial manner.

I'm not just making a complaint. I want the best for RF2 and the community. ;

Luis Costa likes this.
  5. Luis Costa

Luis Costa Registered

Hi,

I will try to answer what I know .. or the way I imagine :)
    With me works.. Note, this is just a way around the lack of functionality in the new UI.

1) Why was this functionality taken out of the UI?
    I have no idea, but I think it will be included soon .. it didn't even make sense otherwise!

2) I tried this and it did not work, but maybe the program was closed.
    Does not work! What message appears?
    Do you have a mod with tracks and cars created? It is necessary.
    You can create mods with app "MAS2_x64" which is in "\ rFactor 2 \ Support \ Tools" .. I suggest you create a shortcut (also) for this file on the desktop, to be more practical.

3) Does one need to make a separate shortcut for every mod or the folder where the mods are stored?
    No, the shortcut is for all mods created .. just choose which mod you want and create the server with the track and cars you choose from this mod.

4) Which folder - "Installed" or Packages?
    The mods you create are in the "Packages" folder ... "* .rfmod".

5) To repeat question #1 - Why is all of this back in 1990 when it used to be part of the user interface?
    I completely agree. But this is probably a question for 1 million euros!!
    We are very demanding and we always want the best of all worlds ..!
    The best of RF2, AC, ACC, AMS, iRacing, etc ... all in a single simulator ..!
    Yes, we could ask "Wasn't it preferable for Studio 397 to make a new simulator, modern, with new code, new engine, etc.?"
    Maybe, but maybe we would lose some of the features that make us like RF2 ..!
    They are in a phase of many changes at the same time, and in my opinion we should collaborate to improve, change and correct what is not right ... but keep the soul of RF2!

Ronnie-M5 likes this.
  6. Luis Costa

Luis Costa Registered

Once again completely in agreement.

As for having to make a new RFMOD for each server, and as I normally run on GTE and GT3, I made a decision, made a mod with all GTE and GT3 cars, and with all the tracks I like..
    So when I am making the server I always use the same RFMOD, and disable what doesn’t matter .. for another server, just activate it again.

Yes it is not functional, but it works and takes less work!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    Ronnie-M5 likes this.
  7. Ronnie-M5

Ronnie-M5 Registered

"They are in a phase of many changes at the same time, and in my opinion we should collaborate to improve, change and correct what is not right ... but keep the soul of RF2!"

I´m fully agree!!!

BUT, but, buuuut: The S397 will hear it?
    For my words: I don´t think we need back to strach. I Think that some features can be changed to be simple and intuitive.

For example: The server problem of this thread: How we could "predicted" that now is needed to create a shortcut, put the "+path"? (and yes, it solve the problem :D )

In this way I talk that is frustrating to Leagues managers. From nothing, stop to works for reasons of.... Find for yourself.

I can´t believe that someone could think that is is normal.
    Is just put in the managers side and see it easily.

Once more: I'm not just making a complaint. I want the best for RF2 and the community, and offering my time and passion of RF2 to help if S397 want.

Sachmo and Luis Costa like this.
  8. Bassman

Bassman Registered

Thanks for your replies. I will give the shortcut another shot. Hopefully the makers will update the system as everything else is very up to date and modern. Anything that involves digging through files and adding code is a fail in 2021 imho. We have all suffered through that era and I am tired of things being that way.

9. Bassman

Bassman Registered

Thank you for your help and it works now. I thought the ".." in the text meant to add a folder location etc... Once I copied and pasted as written it worked. Now I need to fix actually joining the server I created as I keep getting kicked out with a note saying the cars are breaking rules etc... I will post a new thread.

10. Vance Le Garde

Vance Le Garde Registered

What folder location did you copy into ".." ?

11. Bassman

Bassman Registered

Sorry, I used the Packages folder. It did not work.

12. Sachmo

Sachmo Registered

Thanks for the help Luis Costa, you set me on the right track!

Here's what worked for me:

- using the +path=".." parameter as per Luis's post (note: I had to use no spacebar between characters to get it working)
    - literally using ".." as the path (ie. I see it asked a couple of times above. I did not insert a folder path, just use "..")

Not sure if the below additionally helped: (as I'd already done the below beforehand after earlier having mod/package trouble)
    - for some reason my package directory was not being recognised by rFactor 2, with the below symptoms
    * in-game all the options related to Packages were disabled (eg. I could select a package, but not uninstall or delete it
    * in the MAS Utility if I went to create a new mod package the "Add Tracks" page in the wizard was a blank list
    * when I opened ModMgr.exe (under \rFactor 2\Bin64) there were no Mods or Components listed

To fix these symptoms, open ModMgr.exe (under \rFactor 2\Bin64) and:
    * click "B" to change the Working Directory to the root directory of rFactor (for me this is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2)
    * click "B" to change the Packages Dir to the Packages directory (for me this is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Packages)
    * click "Use Default Paths" button in the top right (not sure if this is necessary, or to be honest what it does, but it didn't save my paths the first couple of times I closed the ModMgr, and after that I clicked this button and since then its saved my paths... might have been something else that kicked it into gear though, dunno... as since then if I change the path and close ModMgr it is remembering my changes without clicking "Use Default Paths")

Anyhoo! After doing the above ModMgr fix :
    * the mods and packages appear in ModMgr
    * when I create a mod package in the MAS Utility it correctly lists my Tracks and Cars
    * when I go into rFactor 2 and navigate to Packages the buttons to manage packages are enabled (eg. uninstall or delete them)

Cheers,
    Sachmo

Luis Costa likes this.
  13. Bassman

Bassman Registered

@Sachmo Thanks so much for your post! I think this fixed my issue with being kicked out of a dedicated server I created. My directories were just a little off. Strange. But fixed now.

Sachmo likes this.