GTE BOP STUDY AND ANALYSIS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andrea Terzi, Jan 7, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Timotej Andonovski

Timotej Andonovski Registered

@Andrea Terzi apart from Jimmi's message, is there any update the studio will even consider this work as anything viable or will the Corvette still be 8 tenths faster at the very least?

2. Andrea Terzi

Andrea Terzi Registered

I have been told devs had a look at the paper but I don't know what they will do with it. I just hope to have shown a sort of "more scientific and objective way" to bop cars. Looking at pure data helps a lot in BoP baselines imo. Then ofc you still have to go on track and tweak minor things

3. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

I wouldn't be surprised if the next release just used all the same physics with different graphics to make the cars equal.

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

If GM PAID to be 8 tenths faster....then...... :) Remember, the IMSA car was dominant this year, the BOP may be reflecting that.

5. Riccardo Corazzari

Riccardo Corazzari Registered

It's not that easy. You may balance all cars in therm of aero efficiency, downforce levels, rateos (power and weight) but there will still be differencies. That's fine, its the nice part of multi-model classes, and to refine the absolute performance you need to test cars on track of course. Just consider that every car has different weight distributions (so uses tyres in a different way), different bumpsteers and camber gains, different setup options etc.. So definetly as Andrea wrote above what is suggested here is a "concept" basically, not a pure solution.
    On the other hand if you set cars with a base of different autonomies, deeply different drags etc you will encounter a lot of troubles to correct the package. So here it is a baseline to recover from those differencies, not "the final solution"

6. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

I would.

7. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

While my comment was halfway "tongue in cheek" it was only halfway. Common physics are used on several different platforms as well as several of the really good 3rd party mods as a way to equal competitive ability. What most simracers don't seem to understand is some cars are going to be faster at technical tracks while other cars are going to dominate at speed tracks. BOP can't make all cars equal at all tracks, its a balance for the season of racing.

8. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

FWIW, IMSA qualifying at Roar by the Shore Daytona 23Jan2021.

Attached Files:

9. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

I'm aware that many mods are using the same physics when they should be different for different cars/chassis. I don't think that's what they're going for with GT3/GTE and now LMP2.

The drivers will complain, they'll make BoP changes, the drivers will complain some more, etc. etc.

It wouldn't surprise me if there are even some physics/tire model changes in the future, but it would surprise me if they changed to use all the same physics on the different car models.

10. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

All the recent tire physics banter has become rather amusing to me. If folks turned off the built-in Traction Control and tried driving they would immediately take a 180° position saying tires get too hot too quickly etc. I suspect that few of the whiners even know those settings appear under the Advanced Tab in the Garage.

There is a saying that "the squeakiest wheel gets the most grease". If that is applied literally in future changes they surely won't be happy.

The Motul 100 was a pretty good race yesterday. I think the IMSA BOP is pretty spot on. Daytona favors a low drag factor which favored the BMW in qualy. The wet start upset the apple cart for all of them but at the end of the day showed the BOP is about as close as it gets.

I did take a few of the GTE cars around the Team Tchahca Daytona track and after some tuning was turning pretty consistent lap times in each car. Left the TC in its default position which minimizes tuning. When I turn it off it takes totally different tune. Diff settings become reversed, spring, damper and ARB settings need to change and no 2 cars work best with all the same suspension changes. Lap times are less consistent, some going 2-3 seconds faster, some 1-2 seconds slower without the TC. That's part of how I know the whiners are still relying on TC.

davehenrie likes this.