Formula E - How to drive?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HomieFFM, Jan 17, 2021.

1. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Registered

1) Which AI strength/settings are you guys using?
    2) Gears: does it make sense to use the first gear other than for the start?
    3) searching for an information about the gears, most sites were talking about 5 gears? But we only have 2?

4) Are there any plans for this ''Boost lane'' and LED Halo visuals?

2. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

1- I don't use ai
    2- yes, and also it can be used in an exploitive manner, but you don't have to since you play sp
    3-gen 1 had 5 gears. But the gen 2 some teams use 2 some only 1. They went with the 2 gears model in rf2

4-yes. Attack mode is coming soon

HomieFFM and FORMULAEFAN71 like this.
  3. J0E

J0E Registered

I am currently driving with the AI at 92%. If I consistently finish in the top 10, I move it up a notch (I started at 90%). I believe the default is 95% and I simply am too crappy yet to keep up at 95%. I have yet to see evidence that using first gear makes me any faster. This could be because I am not good enough to use it properly. However, I watched a couple of the aliens in the FE Accelerate challenge and they tended to downshift frequently. They were doing 1:09 or so at Berlin, and my best there just the other night offline was 1:12. My best in the challenge with common setups was 1:13.4. I think it's interesting that S397's description of the FE cars talks about lifting at the 200m mark to regain energy. The top drivers in the challenge that I watched weren't lifting that far in advance at all. That's probably because when you're hotlapping, you're not concerned about conserving energy...just going fast for the moment.
    More about my AI, I did an adjustment in player.json last night turning down their braking ability. This may be placebo affect, but it seemed they handled the corners better. I don't know if changing those settings in player.json actually works because there is a comment in the file that says the setting can be overridden in the HDV. We can't see the HDV because it's password protected in the MAS editor.
    One final thing, I added a "boost" mode for myself using VoiceAttack. When I press and hold a boost button, it will set the power to 225. It will do this for 10 seconds and then turn off unless I release the button first. Also, it only allows this boost mode every 75 seconds.

HomieFFM likes this.
  4. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Registered

The AI is quite fast in Formula E, I'm also around 95% right now.
    In some corners they are super slow and in other they have some kind of hyper boost xD

I would also like to know how you can use the first gear as an exploit,
    I feel like I'm slower if I use the first gear anywhere compared to the second gear, even in hairpins.

it's hard to find any real life onboards where you can see if they actually use any other gear,
    would be interesting to see how they handle it in reality.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  5. J0E

J0E Registered

These are the two brake settings I changed in player.json. I'd be interested if you would try them and see if they make a difference...particularly where the AI are super slow. It seems better to me, but I'm not thoroughly convinced yet.
    "AI Brake_Grip Usage":0.9239,
    "AI Brake_Grip Usage#":"Fraction of theoretical brake grip that AI attempt to use (can be overrode in HDV)",
    "AI Brake_Power Usage":0.931,
    "AI Brake_Power Usage#":"Fraction of theoretical brake power that AI attempt to use (can be overrode in HDV)",

6. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Registered

Tried it, but didn't feel it improved anything ;(

Studio 397 with a new tutorial/overview, as if they were reading this thread :D

DanRZ likes this.
  7. J0E

J0E Registered

When I first did it, I thought it made a difference. Then, last night, it seemed like it was the same as always.

HomieFFM likes this.
  8. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Registered

however the gear exploit worked, it should be now a thing of the past, only one gear for the formula e 2021 cars :)
    Nice that we now have the attack zone and mixture/energy options and a lot of other stuff, makes this class a lot of fun now :)

Edit: Driving against the AI is pretty pointless now, it's like they are driving with mixture 10 all the time and don't have to save any energy at all.
    I also tried a 15min race with powerconsumtion 3x (which is labled for 15 minutes), it's not possible to make it to the end when you have to use the attack zone mandatory 3 times.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    Remco Majoor and atomed like this.
  9. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

This is indeed true. to get the most out of the FE right now, is by hoping it will be used in the competition system

HomieFFM and atomed like this.
  10. atomed

atomed Member

It sure will be, as an official license. they probably are working on new FE tracks to make the schedule more varied.

HomieFFM likes this.
  11. J0E

J0E Registered

I went into the mas file and turned off the Attack Mode stuff. It seems to me like there should have been an option to turn it off in the Tuning menu. I set the power consumption for the 30 minute lap, ran a race and had plenty of fuel to spare. I suspect their computation includes using the Attack Mode. You can edit that in the mas file, too, but I'm not up for doing too many changes that will get broken as soon as they publish another car update.

12. r00b Driver

r00b Driver Registered

Hi all

Settings to turn attack mode on/off or number amount of modes.

It's in a MAS file? Is that correct?

13. J0E

J0E Registered

If you go to the Formula_E_Gen2_2021 mas file in the Installed directory and open it in the MAS editor, there's a file called FE_2021_Upgrades.ini. The stuff to control all of the add-on is in there. Of course you're going to have to create a single component package after you make the changes.

FORMULAEFAN71 and r00b Driver like this.
  14. r00b Driver

r00b Driver Registered

Christ almighty, that's just f****ing idiotic.

Thanks for the reply!

FORMULAEFAN71 likes this.
  15. r00b Driver

r00b Driver Registered

I'm trying to figure out how best to do this.
    Could you point me in the right direction?

I've extracted the FE_2021_Upgrades.ini file, changed what I think I need to change.
    Added it into the MAS File Utility....and now...I literally don't know what to do next.

Is there a helpful guide anywhere?

Thanks ;)

16. J0E

J0E Registered

Click the Create the Package File button and then Create Single Cmp Package. In the Select Component box, this must match the name of the folder for the car in the Installed directory. For Formula E, this box would say Formula_E_Gen_2_2021_2021. In the File box, you can browse (by clicking the file cabinet icon) to a directory where you want the package to reside. Important note: while it looks like you should be opening a file in this window, you are actually giving it a name to save the file. It says "open" when it should say "save." Give your build a version number, the type is vehicle and you put in the Update From box the version you are updating from (e.g. 1.01 for the 2021 cars). In the mas files box, click the cabinet icon and find the car-update.mas file you created and saved. Click Package and it should build the package without errors. Click Install to install it. When you go into the game, you will see your package in the car selection menu. You will probably not see the original package and if/when the FE cars get updated, it will probably break your package.

r00b Driver and atomed like this.
  17. r00b Driver

r00b Driver Registered

Thanks, Joe, but I have a problem.

So, I created the single file MAS (with the .ini) in it.

Followed the steps listed above, but there is a red square beneath the file cabinet in the 'Component' group which says:
    Component: Forumla_E_Gen2_2021_2021 v1.0 is not installed

Does that mean anything to you?

upload_2021-1-25_10-20-39.png

Thanks!!
    :confused:

18. r00b Driver

r00b Driver Registered

OK, think I sussed it.

I think it was default opening MAS2_x64.exe, which didn't seem to work.

Now, when I open MAS2.exe from '...\rfactor2\support\tools\'it works fine.

Opened up a FE car and the Attack Mode option has been removed - so I hope that works.

Thanks again for your help!

19. r00b Driver

r00b Driver Registered

Correction - it has now come back.

I give up.

I shouldn't have to go through all this sodding trouble just to get an option turned off - an option that doesn't work properly in single player mode.

20. J0E

J0E Registered

Just to be sure based on your screenshot. You opened the car-upgrade.mas file in the mas2 editor. You extracted the ini file. After you fixed the ini file, you dragged it back into the original mas file so it replaced the old version of the ini file. You then saved the changed mas file to a new location. Then you ran the steps to create a separate component. By looking at your screenshot, it appears as though you created a single component with just the ini file and none of the other dds, json or veh files. I don't think that would work; I think the mas file has to have everything included.