[REL] V1.1 RELEASED! Formula NA 2018 by Virtual Racing Cars [VRC]

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Ferrari64, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Ferrari64

Ferrari64 Registered

Hello everyone,

Virtual Racing Cars proudly presents the Formula North America 2018 for rFactor 2. Originally created for Assetto Corsa we decided to extend our modding endeavors to rFactor 2. One year in the making we are finally able to share this with all of you guys.

What do you get?
    - Highly detailed 3D Model based on a real open-wheel racing car
    - Latest shaders supported by rFactor 2
    - Recreated physics of similiar looking machinery
    - Engine Sounds based of our Assetto Corsa project but highly optimized for rFactor 2
    - Advanced secondary sound samples
    - 16 different liveries
    - 4 different car configurations (Road Course/Short Oval/Speedway/Indiana 804km)
    - Upgrade to 2019 car with the extra head protection (AFP)
    - 2 different steering systems available with multiple ffb strength options

na2018_1.PNG na2018_2.PNG na2018_3.PNG

Where you can download this mod?
    You can download this mod on our website after purchasing it for 4.50USD. Please go to:
    https://vrc-modding-team.net/show/by_simulator/rFactor2
    https://vrc-modding-team.net/show/33

Can I drive your car online?
    Yes! We are running a server called "P1_VRC_Formula_v1". This server is provided by the german rFactor 2 racing league community P1-Gaming e.V. - https://p1-gaming.de/index.php
    - 15 Minutes Practice
    - 10 Minutes Qualification
    - 20 Minutes Race
    Tracks in use: Portland and Indianapolis Oval/Road Layout

Where I can find you?
    If you have any questions regarding the purchase process please use our official contact form:
    https://vrc-modding-team.net/contact/

In Social Media:
    https://www.facebook.com/vrc.modding.team
    https://twitter.com/VRC_ModdingTeam

Join our Discord:
    https://discord.com/invite/KCfB9UF

I want more!
    Sure. Check this out:

See you on track.

Formula Na 2018 V1.1 is available now.
    (2021/01/17):
    -Reduced a bit of aero efficiency.
    -Reduced a bit of tyre grip (to 98%).
    -Fixed weight jacker setting.
    -Fixed pit times.
    -Reduced fuel tank to 70 liters.
    -Tweaked driver animations.
    -Mirrors are now adjustable individually.
    -Fixed tyres UV mapping.
    -Minor sound tweaks.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  2. MiguelVallejo

MiguelVallejo Registered

will your lmp900 / lmp1 be in rfactor2 in the future?

3. Ferrari64

Ferrari64 Registered

Thís is certainly something we do have on our radar. However I can not really promise when we are going to start working on this cars for rF2. At the moment we are planning to release more content in Q2/2021 but this can change aswell. All really depends on how successful the Formula NA 2018 is going to be.

pascom, Schumi, SunBro and 1 other person like this.
  4. MiguelVallejo

MiguelVallejo Registered

Thanks for the answer, I am sure that Formula NA will be successful.
    Cheers

5. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

I have to say that I was a bit skeptical. I know there was an initial post I think almost 2 years ago that this could be coming. In that time, two versions good versions of this car got released on rF2. I wasn't sure if a 3rd payware version was needed. So I held off on buying it. I watch a few reviews saying that this was the best rF2 mod period. Intrigued, I bought it. Figured I'd spend more than that at a bar for a crappy drink.

My reaction after installing and taking a few laps.....HOLY HELL! That is awesome! It's the first time in a long time where you can feel just about everything the car is doing. You feel the downforce more as you go faster. You feel the difference between the suspension grip vs the tire grip. It is a BLAST! Taking this car out at the Lester street circuit, you have long fast corners to really load up the car. But there is a couple bumps that unlike in other cars, you have to watch how you approach that. If you are slightly off, the car will snap on you. Hit it perfect, and you are flat out. It is the feeling that I would imagine what the real car would do and feel like. It is one of the few cars in my 20+ years of sim racing, feels like that. Bravo!

My only complaint would be is that the cars look dark. It could be the legacy shadow layer being on the cars. That isn't needed with the PBR in place. But a lot of the other textures seem that way as well, at least to my eyes. It could be a few adjustments that could be made.

Question - I know RSS has the strangle hold on the AC 2020 Indycar. But since they don't have that car here in rF2, is there any chance we could see the Aero screen added here?

I would say again, bravo! Amazing job. I really hope you continue with bringing over the other VRC content. Personally I would be looking forward to the Prototypes. rF2 does skew into more of the endurance series type races. If those cars are at the level of this mod, it would blow people's minds. It is an area that rF2 does seem to be lacking with a top tier LMP (I know current LMP2 are faster than the LMP900). But everything else almost has a place. The newly ByCollin would pair very well with the soon to be released Ginetta. The GTO would pair well with the existing Toyota Celica. I would just hope that a physics compatibility pack would be released to have everything be happy together.

But anyways thank you again for taking a chance with the rF2 community. There is a lot of potential despite its flaws. I know the other content that would be converted over would fit perfectly with what rF2 needs. Thank you again, and I look forward to seeing future content from you guys.

Eric Rowland, makan, pascom and 11 others like this.
  6. bears

bears Registered

I have to agree with Chris this is a very good mod ....

Schumi and Ferrari64 like this.
  7. Dae Bennett

Dae Bennett Registered

Great mod, hands down the best modern era indy car mod for RF2.

Schumi and Ferrari64 like this.
  8. Ferrari64

Ferrari64 Registered

Hi Chris,

Thank you so much for your detailed feedback. I will talk to our 3D Modder and check if we can improve the look of our cars. It is really hard to find any documentation for it so we are learning on the fly and try our best to make the best of the new PBR Shaders.

About the Aero Screen: If we are going to release it, it will be a seperate car which needs to be purchased. The simple reason for that is that we built a completly new 3D Model for it and it is not as simple as putting an extra 3D upgrade on the car. There is a certain event in Q2/2021 usually so you might imagine which project we want to have ready by then for rF2. Keep in mind we are still busy working on our AC projects so certain time targets might change.

Personally I am all for Prototypes in rF2. I think it would be great to see our Prototypes converted to rF2. However at the moment our focus is on gaining experience on the platform modding with it. Once we have done that there is a high chance Prototypes/GTOs might make it to the game. I would not expect it for 2021 though.

Greetings :)

Schumi, pascom, bears and 3 others like this.
  9. Chris Lesperance

Glad to hear that the options are being considered. Hopefully there would be a reduced rate if we purchased this version and you guys do the AeroScreen version.

After taking a few more laps and digging into the files, I've came across 3 things to be looked at.

1. Pitstop times are a little long
    PitStop_1.jpg

2. The Rain Tread on the left tires is reversed (Should be really easy to rotate the mapping)
    Tread_1.jpg

3. I think the texture for the "VRC-RIM_Dark" might need to be changed. Graphically it is red. I think it might need to be a chrome with the black center.

Rim_1.jpg
    [​IMG]

I think also that the ISI/S397 had onboard Weight Jacker adjustments for the oval configurations. I can't remember off hand. That should carry over to this as well

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    Matt21, Eric Rowland, atomed and 4 others like this.
  10. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

Some testing through the heavy bumps of Sebring!

Heisenberx, Ferrari64 and pascom like this.
  11. mjo1704

mjo1704 Registered

great mod visual.sound and driving feel are very good.a single adjustment of the side mirrors would be nice to have

Ferrari64 and David Short like this.
  12. Heisenberx

Heisenberx Registered

Bravo. After years of waiting and hoping this is it for me. The handling is superb and unmatched. Driving even the ugly looking Lakefront Airport track feels absolutely fantastic. Very very good work! Thank you!

ede78 and Ferrari64 like this.
  13. Schumi

Schumi Registered

In order not to describe the problem again, I will simply quote from our private conversation with @Chris Lesperance .

14. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

That is not caused by tyre wear. Probably your rear right tyre is too hot and hence the inside air pressure is too high. Partially caused by weight jacker setting, which is not working as it should, but this is fixed on next update.

Anyway, you will must find a setup that you can drive for many laps. Racing at oval tracks faces more challenges than at road courses due to mantained high speeds.
    But hey, thanks for feedback

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    Heisenberx and Ferrari64 like this.
  15. Schumi

Schumi Registered

For the first races, I try not to stray too far from the basic settings. I only changed the front wing settings. Tire temperatures were ok, Homestead is pretty good at keeping the tires safe. I'm not new to Indy racing. Since 2008 for me it is number 1 among the open wheel.
    Last year, when I started the championship against AI on the same Palm Springs (Homstead-Miami), I had more than 40 laps of stints without any problems. I used the Couti's mod last year.
    I'll try to subtly play with the settings. But I still don't understand how you can go 20 laps and the tires are still 100% and with 99% tires, the car dramatically loses efficiency in corners and overall stability.
    I hope all minor problems will be resolved. For me, this is the best Indycar for rF2 now, but I want to have this pleasure on all types of tracks.

Heisenberx likes this.
  16. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

>>>>>But I still don't understand how you can go 20 laps and the tires are still 100% and with 99% tires, the car dramatically loses efficiency in corners and overall stability.

RF2 doesn't show everything that happens to your tyres. Thermal degradation is not shown, and internal temperature is not shown either.
    Default setup will not work for every track you try and be sure the car will evolve from the first lap to the last. Take a look at real life results for qualifying, as example, all contenders do the best time at the first lap, and then get worse until the fourth.

https://www.indycar.com/stats/indycar-series/2018/102nd-running-of-the-indianapolis-500

For a long stint, you must do a setup which permits to arrive safely at the end. The fact the setup is good the first lap doesn't mean it will be good after 20 laps. Nobody said this mod's default setup is made to last many laps on the specific tracks you are trying.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  17. Ferrari64

Ferrari64 Registered

Formula Na 2018 V1.1 is available now.
    (2021/01/17):
    -Reduced a bit of aero efficiency.
    -Reduced a bit of tyre grip (to 98%).
    -Fixed weight jacker setting.
    -Fixed pit times.
    -Reduced fuel tank to 70 liters.
    -Tweaked driver animations.
    -Mirrors are now adjustable individually.
    -Fixed tyres UV mapping.
    -Minor sound tweaks.
    Our Server will be updated soon

Edit: Server is up and running! Look for "P1_VRC_Formula_v1"

Enjoy it!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  18. Heisenberx

Heisenberx Registered

Please bring Formula NA 1999 to RF2!

upload_2021-1-18_23-13-24.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    vava74, haunetal1990, ede78 and 4 others like this.
  19. Chris Lesperance

I made out a post completely believing the "99% wear = bad grip" was an issue. I then did end up deleting it as I was completely wrong. After I posted it and did some laps I realized I had some incorrect information.

So I did a full stint with the ISI DW12 and Apex 2019 mod at Machine's Texas track. Figured that would be a good Speedway config test as compared to the real series.

My findings was a bit surprising. Both cars have a thing where tire wear is very low. At about 42-44 laps, tire wear on the right side was at 99%. Left was still at 100%. Now noticing that, I feel comfortable with the VRC car having the same thing. I think there is something wrong with it, but at least it is consistent with the other Indycars. Weather it be a track .tdf or the way rF2 handles tire wear on ovals. Not 100% sure.

@Schumi, I did end up ruling out the 99% being a bug. I basically took the car out and just scrubbed the tires so it all were at 99%. I then went on the track, and the car was stable, as it should be.

What is a bit different is that the tire temps. After driving around with the DW12 and the Apex for 40+ laps, I was looking at tire temps in the 230 degrees F for the DW12 and 320 degrees F in the Apex mod. Both cars were still handling great.
    20210116221455_1.jpg 20210116223640_1.jpg

This is where I didn't pay attention to before, and where Raintyre, you are correct. I think with this VRC car, what Schumi and I are seeing is that the tire temp does go up. I want to say when it hits about 240-250F, the tire turns into an ice cube. There is zero grip. It's very fast and very sudden. I think that is what Schumi and I are experiencing. I'll need to test a bit more, but it does make a lot more sense. I do think that is more realistice, as the temps in the other mods do seem very high. But I think the way the VRC does it where it goes from being ok to "there is nothing", I'll honestly don't have the knowledge for that.

Schumi likes this.
  20. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

Sure, optimum tread temperatures are around 213ºF !!!
    If you let a tyre go so hot it's natural you lose grip. It is what it must be. Drivers and engineers always had to fight against tyre overheating, especially when the cars can produce big downforce and sustain 4.5 - 5G lateral acceleration at 220mph.
    I don't think it's so sudden as you say. Probably, it is just you aren't noticing the change in balance until it is too late. Let's have in account that there are many effects which feed back on themselves, so that there is a 'point of no return'.
    It is not only that tread surface is too hot, it is also that the whole tyre is too hot, so that its materials get too soft, too flexible, optimum slip angle is increased and it feels sloppy....
    Due to internal temperature, tyre pressure also goes too high, which reduces grip alone (you know, RF2 doesn't usually benefit high tyre pressure)....
    Also, mantaining excess of temperatures you are adding thermal degradation to the tread,.. another contribution to grip loss.

Avoiding rear right overheating is not difficult :
    -Reduce initial tyre pressure
    -Reduce weight jacker setting
    -Reduce front wing

Also, drive smoothly and lift a bit throttle on the taughest corners. If you observe real onboards you will see the real drivers normally lift a bit at the race, even when they probably could force to go flat out. Going flat out is faster during 2 or 3 laps, but then comes the punishment..

Just with those changes you will probably do constant lap times and can last the whole stint without a problem.

>>>>tire wear is very low

Probably you are right on this, for some reason the tyres are not getting enough abrasion wear at ovals so the indicators are misleading. I think probably there is a workaround that is plausible on all type of ovals.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    makan likes this.